ADVERTISEMENT

To 5 coaches of all time in the ihsa.

Otto was the 1st to install the spread as primary offense at the HS level in IL, but not sure that makes him a top 10 coach of all time in the state. Unique but not great?

You really need 4 different groups when discussing coaches. Small and Large along with Public and Private. They are all vastly different jobs.

Two guys maybe not in the top 10 but noteworthy are Rich Zinnani (sp) from Mac and Glen Schott from Altoff. You want to talk about unique offenses-Schott was very unique to say the least!

I think when it comes to Otto, you have to look past results, and take into consideration that he pretty much put the program on the map and out of obscurity. There are so many great coaches to consider. Just my opinion though. There have been many mentioned that are certainly worthy of mention.
So what you are saying is that success isn’t always determined by wins and losses? I agree,but without defined objective matrixes of success, how do you judge a coach? Certainly good to great coaches in HS can do a great job for a season, and still have a losing record. My opinion is that the best HS coaches build a program that is sustained after they leave the actual coaching to others.

Reactions: go dogz
Not sure if public, private, big or small really is a fair wait to break up great coaches. A great coach is just a great coach. Reguadless of school size or if it is a private school.

I'm not convinced that Otto is a great coach. He was an above average coach who got lazy in his later years and didn't care to put the time in that the kids he coached or the game deserved....

The kids and the game deserve coaches who are as driven day one as they are day 30. Don't cheat the young men who sacrifice and put in the blood, sweat and tears!!!

So what you are saying is that success isn’t always determined by wins and losses? I agree,but without defined objective matrixes of success, how do you judge a coach? Certainly good to great coaches in HS can do a great job for a season, and still have a losing record. My opinion is that the best HS coaches build a program that is sustained after they leave the actual coaching to others.
Totally agree with you. There are so many ways to measure greatness outside of the scope of wins/losses and championships. Overall impact on school and community is a big one in my opinion. Integrity is another one that is enormously important. I mentioned Otto because as I stated earlier, raised the program from obscurity into a respected program. And from everything I’ve heard about him, was a good human being to boot.

Totally agree with you. There are so many ways to measure greatness outside of the scope of wins/losses and championships. Overall impact on school and community is a big one in my opinion. Integrity is another one that is enormously important. I mentioned Otto because as I stated earlier, raised the program from obscurity into a respected program. And from everything I’ve heard about him, was a good human being to boot.

On that front I would submit Jack Lewis from IC. Long timer, always tough teams, players on both sides of the field respected him.

Glen Schott from Altoff. You want to talk about unique offenses-Schott was very unique to say the least!
Split End, Tight End, Tackle, Left Gaurd, Right Guard, Center, Left Tackle
Backs in Power I formation.

This was called Team Left. Flipping the weighted line to the other side was Team Right.

We'd go on first sound at times, cadence being Team, Set, 21 (22, 23 if extending the snap count.) OR, based on the play call, at the call of Team, we'd shift to a balanced line.

Freshman year - when we were all just learning to play football (maybe five of us played in little league), our staple play was Team Left, Flip Left ... snap to DaRond who'd flip to Hickey and I had to BUST ASS as the pulling Left Gaurd to get out in front to lead him down the sideline.

Hickey did not practice with the Freshmen - he was starting sophomores and played varsity - but he did play games with us against Cahokia, West and East, just to make sure we won handily. One game - six carries and six TD on Team Left Flip Left.

As much as I love Glenn Schott, I cannot say he is Top Five.

Reactions: flyerforlife
I'm not sure his titles count.....they weren't won while competing in the the top two classes. ;)

I think we need MC63 to weigh in. I’m still a little confused on where his line is drawn for asterisk free titles and the dirty ones with asterisks.

Reactions: Gene K.
I think we need MC63 to weigh in. I’m still a little confused on where his line is drawn for asterisk free titles and the dirty ones with asterisks.

It's really easy. If you won a title below the highest class and you aren't MC from 64th and Dante, you get an asterisk. I wanted to include the address in case the downstate MC decided their titles had value.

I see Flyer for Life lists 1989 as a national title ... you sure about that?

Us, ESL and Hazelwood East all won titles that year (my junior year) and our only loss was to HE in the opener (a pick six sealed it) ... they ended up top five in USA Today ... what poll is he referring to?

Us, ESL and Hazelwood East all won titles that year (my junior year) and our only loss was to HE in the opener (a pick six sealed it) ... they ended up top five in USA Today ... what poll is he referring to?
According to wiki. 85 and 89

Anyone can post anything on Wikipedia.

Back in the day I was in a nonstop battle on Wikipedia claiming ownership of a technology for a client while the competior was doing the same. Unless someone contests the validity, anything can be posted by anyone on there.

Reactions: Odirty
Now that the ESCC and CCL are combined hopefully we can look forward to regular Montini Naz rivalry games in which we can spew our venom against each others team.
Agreed. Don't have a horse in the race, but this is the #1 match up I want to see in the new conference.

Agreed. Don't have a horse in the race, but this is the #1 match up I want to see in the new conference.

I will second or third that.

Hey the regular season is over - aren’t they supposed to be announcing the divisions for next year,.. or do you think they will wait until the playoffs are complete and announce in December?

Hey the regular season is over - aren’t they supposed to be announcing the divisions for next year,.. or do you think they will wait until the playoffs are complete and announce in December?
Good question. I'm guessing it will come after the playoffs.

Check its there

Reactions: wasdo
No matter how much I dislike McNamara, Rich Zinanni belongs on the list...Friday he should achieve win 350 - poor Olney Richland County...3rd all time on the wins list behind Ken Leonard & Frank Lenti - at a school that has seen its enrollment nearly cut in half since he started coaching in 1975, while being punished by its public neighbors who disbanded the conference to get rid of the Irish...

That said, another name to be brought up should be Jeff Reents, who took over a Wilmington program from a coach who had been there 29 years with a 127-135 record and started the longest current playoff streak in 3A...222-58 in 25 years, many of which as the smallest school in a very strong conference, and would likely have several more titles if not for some private powers named IC and Driscoll...

John O'Boyle, Stockton 1961-97, 279-74-1....to win that many games over that many years at a 1A school is quite a feat, as he probably needed to recruit players out of p.e. class numerous years just to field a team...

Two coaches with 251 wins...Dick Duval, St. Joe Ogden, and Dave Mattio, Chicago Heights Marion...

How about John Belskis. Won a ton at DGS, took over at ACC and won again and now has things rolling at Minooka. Hell of a coach!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT