ADVERTISEMENT

Thursday Night Bangers

Palatine should handle GBS. Prospect vs MS should be a very fun one. Will be interesting to see who can slow down who. Might be one of the classic 100+ point games like Prospect vs Hersey usually is!

I'm hoping there are no underclass games at either site. We have an early deadline on Thursday nights.

I will be at Swagger High to see the air raid game.

I'm hoping there are no underclass games at either site. We have an early deadline on Thursday nights.

I will be at Swagger High to see the air raid game.
MS freshman play before Varsity.

Michael O'Brien of the Sun-Times opined Monday that, "Perhaps the IHSA should require every school to play a Thursday game next season." Talk about a potential overreach by a governing body. Furthermore, yet another weeknight activity to disrupt academics for the next school day for hundreds of student game night participants and fans. No thanks.

Michael O'Brien of the Sun-Times opined Monday that, "Perhaps the IHSA should require every school to play a Thursday game next season." Talk about a potential overreach by a governing body. Furthermore, yet another weeknight activity to disrupt academics for the next school day for hundreds of student game night participants and fans. No thanks.
The alternative might be no game at all because there are no refs available.

While I understand the sentiment, I think you will change your mind after rolling to Rockne Stadium on a Thursday afternoon. Late lunch at the Steak N Egger, 4:00 start on a Dyett vs Tilden tilt…. That’s living, my friend.

Pretty much all sports have some weekday night games during the year. The kids will be ok.

Last edited:
I can't be the only one that saw the title of this thread and immediately thought of Fenger vs Dusable in the 4:00 start at Gately...
Actually the Ghost was onto something.

According to the IHSA, this is the first time, in high school history, that two female coaches will be coaching against each other. This is not just CPS, or Illinois, but anywhere. The IHSA checked with NFHA and other state high school associations to confirm

Last edited:
Rachel Dratch Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Wow! Maine South gives up a huge run down to their own 3 yard line already down 14 but a penalty brings it back. And the next play a pick 6 to bring them back to within a score. What a turn of events!

GBS 43 Pal 42. Palatine lost their leader and senior QB while they were up 42 to 28. Word is a broken leg. Awful awful news for the Pirates. Not good at all @kpjasion

great game. Two very good teams. GBS wont touch maine south but will dominate everyone else in CSL.

palatine and conant in class by themselves in MSL

Prospect wins 42-41. MS, trailing 34-20 in 2nd half, scored three unanswered TDs to take a 41-34 lead. With 40 seconds left Prospect scores and converts 2 point conversion to win. Awesome game by two good teams and programs.

Reactions: EdgyTim
The Thursday Night bangers lived up to the hype. Both games finish with a successful TD and 2-pointer with under 1 minute to play. Both games were upsets, at least in terms of the few predictions on this thread.

A friend’s son plays for Prospect, so I get a lot of updates on the Knights. Great start to the season. If this game was on a Friday, they would’ve been my Feeto Upset pick for sure.

As for the Pala/GBS game, what a difference after the QB injury. The game was tied at 21 at half, but Palatine came out roaring in the 3Q. 2 quick TD drives for a 35-21 lead. Going in for a 3rd TD when an awkward tackle brought about the injury. Not just out of the game, but an injury with an ambulance, 30-minute delay, and knot in your stomach. The kids stayed up and finished the drive with a TD, but the funereal mood was palpable.

GBS scored to make it 42-35 with about 3 minutes left. Onside kick failed, but Palatine went 2-and-out. The Pirate D made a number of great plays on the final drive, but GBS did just enough to stay alive. Short pass for a TD with 11.9 seconds left. Ran in the 2 for a 43-42 win.

Palatine is still probably the team to beat in the west. Backup QB has a good arm, but he’s been playing safety all year. We’ll see how quickly he can get up to speed.

MS with 2 missed xp and a fg. Got a punt blocked and roughed the kicker! Lots to learn yet this season.
Kudos to Prospect. QB is a baller! WR #6 scores long TD early then injured celebrating TD. Lol. Prospect will be a tough out in the playoffs. Ballsy calls all game long. Good luck to them!

If MS woulda went for 2 and got them half the time they win. As it stands going for 1 and missing cost them the game.

That said the Prospect QB is a baller.

Reactions: eireog and MS4EVER
The Thursday Night bangers lived up to the hype. Both games finish with a successful TD and 2-pointer with under 1 minute to play. Both games were upsets, at least in terms of the few predictions on this thread.

A friend’s son plays for Prospect, so I get a lot of updates on the Knights. Great start to the season. If this game was on a Friday, they would’ve been my Feeto Upset pick for sure.

As for the Pala/GBS game, what a difference after the QB injury. The game was tied at 21 at half, but Palatine came out roaring in the 3Q. 2 quick TD drives for a 35-21 lead. Going in for a 3rd TD when an awkward tackle brought about the injury. Not just out of the game, but an injury with an ambulance, 30-minute delay, and knot in your stomach. The kids stayed up and finished the drive with a TD, but the funereal mood was palpable.

GBS scored to make it 42-35 with about 3 minutes left. Onside kick failed, but Palatine went 2-and-out. The Pirate D made a number of great plays on the final drive, but GBS did just enough to stay alive. Short pass for a TD with 11.9 seconds left. Ran in the 2 for a 43-42 win.

Palatine is still probably the team to beat in the west. Backup QB has a good arm, but he’s been playing safety all year. We’ll see how quickly he can get up to speed.
What the coaches always preach - Tommie Elter is "next up" at QB for the Pirates.

Edgy liked him at a summer camp:

(Edgy- if this is a no-no to copy and post here let me know and I'll remove)
702 Tommy Elter Palatine 2024- One of a handful of names I hadn't seen before this camp, and I felt that Elter just did quite a few things well here. Elter already has impressive size (6-foot-3, 178 pounds) who was able to make all the required throws. I was really impressed with Elter deep ball in one on ones and his overall accuracy and touch also was a plus here. Again I'm looking forward to seeing Elter's varsity tape hopefully as soon as this fall for the Pirates.

And yes, I still think Palatine is the best in the MSL West and goes 8-1. These programs like GBS or Conant that run these odd offenses are always hard to defense and a bad barometer.

Reactions: eireog
Also, I don't know that I've ever experienced the madness that is a MS random mid-season regular season non-conference non-rivalry game. Pretty sure someone parked their car on a roof. Packed bleachers from goalline to goalline on the home side. About 3,000 Jr High kids, no parents 🤔🤣 somehow. My guy @MS4EVER was talkin about the pork Chop sammich at Barrington running out, well the 3,000 Jr High kids ate literally ALL the food except the candy oddly enough. Herds of people walking from miles away in an endless stream of humanity.

Wild.

Also, I don't know that I've ever experienced the madness that is a MS random mid-season regular season non-conference non-rivalry game. Pretty sure someone parked their car on a roof. Packed bleachers from goalline to goalline on the home side. About 3,000 Jr High kids, no parents 🤔🤣 somehow. My guy @MS4EVER was talkin about the pork Chop sammich at Barrington running out, well the 3,000 Jr High kids ate literally ALL the food except the candy oddly enough. Herds of people walking from miles away in an endless stream of humanity.

Wild.
Told y’all Thursday Football is awesome

Wild.
Had to be youth football night. It was at Oswego and there was a huge crowd for a Thursday night Romeoville game.

Reactions: MS4EVER
MS with 2 missed xp and a fg. Got a punt blocked and roughed the kicker! Lots to learn yet this season.
Kudos to Prospect. QB is a baller! WR #6 scores long TD early then injured celebrating TD. Lol. Prospect will be a tough out in the playoffs. Ballsy calls all game long. Good luck to them!

A pair of instant classics. I was at the GBS/Palatine game. There is no doubt it had the feel of a playoff game. Other than being on a Thursday night (which I understand) this game is what HS football is all about!

There may be something to this Thursday night football thing. Even historically underperforming programs seem to have competitive, close games. Morton (Cicero) beat Lyden 30-29 in OT last night. Leyden tried to win it with a 40+ yard FG with 4 seconds in regulation - missed; scored first in OT, but missed the XP; then Morton scored in OT and made the kick to win it.

I had to glean all of this from Twitter this morning, as nobody else reported on it. Even non-premium games end up as "Bangers".

Cross Bones said:
Packed bleachers from goalline to goalline on the home side. About 3,000 Jr High kids, no parents 🤔🤣 somehow.
Had to be youth football night. It was at Oswego and there was a huge crowd for a Thursday night Romeoville game.
Furthermore, yet another weeknight activity to disrupt academics for the next school day for hundreds of student game night participants and fans. No thanks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT