ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts from Saturday's DGS 7on7 and Linemen Challenge Part 1

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
Here are just some various thoughts and observations from Saturday's Downers Grove South 7on7 and Linemen Challenge. This event has been a mainstay in Chicagoland for decades now and DGS again is a terrific host. The overall layout makes covering this event a ton since everything is spread out over the massive DGS campus and facilities, so I started in the early AM with the skills then worked my way to the Linemen portion.

FYI Oswego East and Minooka tied for the overall Linemen Challenge title, then did a Tug O War to determine the overall winner which was OE.

IMG_8738.jpeg

DG South- I've seen South a few times now this summer in person. The offensive skills are really solid behind QB Ryan Dawson and a very strong core of receivers and backs led by senior TE/DE Mack O'Halloran and senior WR Brandon Amaniampong as all three have drawn recruiting interest and offers this summer. The line play looks pretty average and will remain for me the biggest question this fall for the Mustangs. I can see DGS getting to say 5-6 wins and into the 8A IHSA state playoffs.

DG North- The Trojans overall looked pretty solid here on a few different levels. The Trojans have a very solid senior QB in Sam Reichert and he also has some very impressive and solid receiver types in house this season. The defense also looks pretty capable and also did some good things here and looks to have good numbers and talent. The biggest question will be the line play (either I missed them or they did not bring any linemen to this event) for me and how well DGN can show in WSS play this season. This looks like a team that will make a run towards a 5-4 caliber season in 2022. Overall I did like the talent level and this is also a more experienced and older team.

Waubonsie Valley- The Warriors are still seeking to get back to it's Paul Murphy days of being a challenger year in and year out in the DVC. What I feel WV is missing is a handful of impact/higher level players and athletes. The Warriors have some nice pieces in place including QB Luke Elsea and incoming transfer junior WR Julian Johnson (Metea Valley) is another Johnson who will draw increased recruiting interest and looks this fall. The line play was also pretty solid here with a nice mix of size and power and much like the skills...the line play is solid...but not spectacular. I feel WV will take a bit of a step forward in 2022 but are still a little bit away from hanging with the top tier of the DVC for now and HC Tom Baumgartner is a good guy who continues to push his program forward.

Minooka- The Indians always have numbers and always have good speed and talent and that's the case again here for 2022. Minooka senior QB Ryan Dooley looks to be the starter at QB while junior QB Nathan Maul was also able to do some good things here. The overall QB play here was pretty solid and I'm looking to see just more overall game management and consistency down in and down out at the QB position this fall. As mentioned the offensive skills are also a strength and Minooka can roll out a ton of capable receivers with speed. The defense will be a bit inexperienced entering the season b ut physically the back seven looked pretty good here and like the rest of the starters has some speed and athleticism. The line play will be a strength again in 2022 and anchored by seniors OL Ryan Susnar and senior Carter Gessner, both who whom will be multi-year varsity starters this fall. Look for Minooka to be in the thick of things in the Southwest Prairie West, a conference race that will be easily one of the more entertaining to follow from what I've seen this summer. Minooka looks to have enough back here to make another run for the conference and a state playoff berth.

Hinsdale Central- The Red Devils just always have a roster loaded with talent and this group is no different. Hinsdale Centrql will have a huge decision to make in who starts under center this fall. Both senior QB Ben Moynihan and senior QB Billy Cernugel both looked really strong here and both would be starters in most other programs across the state. The receivers and backs have speed and somehow, someway Central just seems to have a machine that cranks out 6-foot-4, 6-foot-5 WR/TE athletic big kids year in and year out. Keep an eye on the receivers led by senior WR Reece Kolke along with WR Carter Contreas as just a few of several quality receivers. The line play has very good sized and looked very strong at the linemen portion of this event. Overall? Central will again challenge in the West Suburban Silver and will hang and challenge both GB West and York all season long for the WSS title.

Normal West- The Wildcats made the trip North and it's always great to see out of the area teams come out and compete. Normal West overall was pretty solid here in the 7on7 portion.....line wise the Wildcats have some key kids with decent size but I was also not overwhelmed with this group especially compared to several of the power 8A teams who took part in this event. Look for Normal West to again stay near the top of the upper tier of teams in the Big Twelve this season.

Wheaton South_- I've also seen the Tigers a few times already this summer and again I just like what I see. The offensive skills are effective and just executed well here all day long. The defense has some good speed and athletes and what really caught my eye this summer is a very athletic and strong line play from Wheaton South. Wheaton South will have a very athletic offensive and defensive line with a deep roster that looks ready to start generating more and more higher level names over the next few years. I'm still working on getting more specific names from Sean Norris soon and I just liked a lot of what I've seen this summer from Wheaton North

Reactions: RD_Watcher
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News