ADVERTISEMENT

This is messed up

LakeCtyNewt

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2002
i know we have several track and field fans on this board.

Last Thursday two men - one was Brandon Adams of Minooka don’t remember the other kids name, qualified on time in the 200 meters at the HF sectional.

However more than 24 hours later they were informed that they had to rerun the race at HF at 9 am Saturday because of a malfunction of some sort in the FAT timing system.

They returned in sub-50 degree temps and rain and didn’t run the time. Now the IHSA and Kraig Garber are not letting them run.

Adams has run qualifying countless times this year as has the other kid. Everyone there knew they both ran time.

Is it that much of an inconvenience on the state to allow two kids who clearly ran time to participate along with the other two?

At what point will it EVER be about the kids. Because this kind of administrative crap is why the IHSA has the stains they have.

If the iHSA has any stones they do the right thing but I have long thoughts and beliefs that says they won’t.

I'm involved with throws in track/field for many years and did not hear about that incident.

BUT with all the times I have personally witnessed timers reporting relay teams or distance runners meeting qualifying times or people measuring jumps and throws making sure a throw or jump met the mark at sectional meets when athletes came nowhere close...........hearing these kids had to come back the next day is shocking.

Since people allow kids to slide at Sectional meets already, if the IHSA changed track policy and did it like the NCAA does it then this would have never happened.

Does HF have their own system or did they use a contractor for timing?

Does HF have their own system or did they use a contractor for timing?

I believe they contracted one out. Usually that’s how it works but I know some schools own their own systems.

Last Thursday two men - one was Brandon Adams of Minooka don’t remember the other kids name, qualified on time in the 200 meters at the HF sectional.

However more than 24 hours later they were informed that they had to rerun the race at HF at 9 am Saturday because of a malfunction of some sort in the FAT timing system.

They returned in sub-50 degree temps and rain and didn’t run the time. Now the IHSA and Kraig Garber are not letting them run.

Adams has run qualifying countless times this year as has the other kid. Everyone there knew they both ran time.

Is it that much of an inconvenience on the state to allow two kids who clearly ran time to participate along with the other two?

At what point will it EVER be about the kids. Because this kind of administrative crap is why the IHSA has the stains they have.

If the iHSA has any stones they do the right thing but I have long thoughts and beliefs that says they won’t.
Agree this is crap. Weather aside, it is completely different running a race without all the runners in each lane. Heats can definitely influence times...Alot

I'm unclear on why Adams would have to re-run. According to the sectional meet results from Thursday, he won the race, so should be automatic qualifier. Did they make him re-run in order to get an F.A.T. seed time for the state meet?

http://ihsa.org/data/trb/196005.pdf

Good decision IHSA. A successful appeal!! Great for the two kids!!

Speaking of appeals, has anyone seen a successful appeal in football? I only know of a couple rather public appeals and both were denied. The most recent one was discussed quite a bit on the forum and a lawsuit happened as well.

Reactions: superac777
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT