ADVERTISEMENT

There goes the last bastion for High School sports in the SSW suburbs

• Thread starter anon_4vszfu35bv677
  • Start date
LWeast: I really hate seeing anyone lose their job. We received the Lockport Legend. Got it free for years. The sports section was good for HS sports. The news section was more or less things going on in town, etc. The rest was pretty much advertising. Every so often they would send out a mailer asking if you wanted to continue the free subscription. I would send it back saying yes.

Then one day they informed the readers the Legend was becoming a paid subscription newspaper. I talked to a friend about it and he said the paper isn't going to last much more than a year if they need subscribers. The price they were asking was cheap. But, it wasn't a paper I felt I could do without. Maybe I would have felt different if I had kids still in HS. So, I didn't subscribe. However, it kept coming for weeks anyway. The reason for that, according to them was...because I had sent the mailer back but when that period expired I was going to be asked to subscribe.

My point in all of that is...I don't think the virus had that much to do with the failure. I didn't know anyone who was a paying subscriber. Still sad to see, however.

LWeast: I really hate seeing anyone lose their job. We received the Lockport Legend. Got it free for years. The sports section was good for HS sports. The news section was more or less things going on in town, etc. The rest was pretty much advertising. Every so often they would send out a mailer asking if you wanted to continue the free subscription. I would send it back saying yes.

Then one day they informed the readers the Legend was becoming a paid subscription newspaper. I talked to a friend about it and he said the paper isn't going to last much more than a year if they need subscribers. The price they were asking was cheap. But, it wasn't a paper I felt I could do without. Maybe I would have felt different if I had kids still in HS. So, I didn't subscribe. However, it kept coming for weeks anyway. The reason for that, according to them was...because I had sent the mailer back but when that period expired I was going to be asked to subscribe.

My point in all of that is...I don't think the virus had that much to do with the failure. I didn't know anyone who was a paying subscriber. Still sad to see, however.

I was...

I took out a 2-year subscription just before this crisis. I got an e-mail about keeping an online account, but the activation process was not cooperating. Will see later in the week whether I am now in or out.

Then I feel bad for you. I understand the Trib and Sun Times are having problems with circulation. Not sure how true that is. I was going out every morning and picking up a Sun Times while subscribing to home delivery to the Trib and our local paper, The Herald News. I stopped going out for the Sun Times and as of Monday went to a digital subscription. I think the yearly rate is $43.00. Way waaay cheaper than picking it up daily or having the print edition delivered.

I am also getting a little aggravated with the Herald News. The paper has changed quite a bit with their cutbacks too. You have a few articles in front about what's going on around town. Very few. Then you have to flip through some pages with pictures and blurbs about losers who were beating the hell out of a girlfriend or wife, or someone being arrested on gun charges, etc. Then the obits to see if I know anyone. And an opinion page with letters to the paper written by the same 4 or 5 people. Then a very scaled back sports section. But, the comic section has been expanded. How nice.

I do still like the Trib, however. Unfortunately this has been a dying industry for years. No idea how much longer it will continue to go on. They will all be digital only or no paper at all pretty soon. :(

Frankfort Station was frankly the ONLY place I could read about LWE Sports on a regular basis. Most of the time I could lever find an article about them Even when they were #1 in the state...

Reactions: Gene K.
Frankfort Station was frankly the ONLY place I could read about LWE Sports on a regular basis. Most of the time I could lever find an article about them Even when they were #1 in the state...
See? Now that sucks. It wasn't that long ago the Herald News had excellent HS sports coverage along with the weekly papers. But when you don't have the man power in the department it will suffer. Seems as if I heard they were really having trouble with getting advertising too. Again, I don't know how true that is. When our generation passes, or maybe before that, it will all be gone.

Reactions: JolietWest89
Yep...they finally got a stay at home order here which I’ve been doing for 23 days now. So far it’s easy time...

I ended up buying a subscription to the Homer Horizon too. I enjoyed reading the local stories and keeping up on the Lockport sports even though I knew nobody on the teams. I just likes to keep the local connection . Yeah, I struggled with paying the $40 to pay for what had been free for years. So be it, life will continue

Credible information exists about the well-known, long-time Southland newspaper being on some very thin ice. I understand some severance option was presented to some sportswriting staffers even before this crisis hit. Not sure if that extended to other departments of the paper.

Nice
Be safe.
Corey, I must say you guys and your head man in Ohio are doing an outstanding job compared to other states with similar population and many with less population. You have a real leader there. Guy didn't wait on anyone. He just took the lead and put measures in place before anyone. Congratulations.

I remember that. You jumped all over the Daily Herald in Lake County because we didn't send somebody 1-1/2 hours in each direction to cover Stevenson when they played East.

It's been an issue for some time now we had discussions at times with radio coverage...and in all honesty you have zero chance of pulling in a WJOL signal anywhere close to East especially at night...yet the invention of the App and streaming I felt changed the game....and WJOL rightfully so stuck with East along with Morris (who has it's own radio stations etc) as part of the coverage area...Bolingbrook is another school that has been up for question as far as Joliet area coverage at times for the past several years....and Lemont is another that seems to be in one year out the next...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT