ADVERTISEMENT

Been saying this for some time now.....

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
That legalized sports betting is going to become an epidemic among the younger crowd no question......and it's only a matter of time before we see some serious fallout to college sports. Having a app on your phone that allows you to bet pretty much on anything is again just very dangerous.....and my next question which I will post separately is how long before high school sports are truly impacted from the various betting avenues (Ok I know some of you are already betting with friends local bookie etc.). And I wont lie if major betting company XYZ comes to me and throws all sorts of cash at me.....it would be hard to say no to especially in horrible media market

With them really pushing betting don't any of you wonder to yourself in especially The Big Dance or College Football if an upset really was an upset or was the fix in? Loved Tulane beating USC but some of those plays(I.E. USC fumbling the kickoff out of bounds inside the 5 yard line) make you wonder

Reactions: Silver Rain
With them really pushing betting don't any of you wonder to yourself in especially The Big Dance or College Football if an upset really was an upset or was the fix in? Loved Tulane beating USC but some of those plays(I.E. USC fumbling the kickoff out of bounds inside the 5 yard line) make you wonder
We’ve really only heard about the state of Iowa athletes as that seems to be the only state whose done an investigation. How many athletes are caught up in this total from the two schools, a dozen or so? Sports betting and even betting on their own teams are most definitely happening based on what we’ve heard from ISU and Iowa.

Not good, and I think sports betting is the most dangerous addiction for youth males looking ahead over the next 10 years, over alcohol.

Probably good that you are prohibited from placing a bet involving Illinois college teams inside the state borders. Maybe other states should institute this.

Reactions: stl705 and gw86
Sports betting has always been huge among college athletes and college students in general nothing has really changed other then it being out in the open.

Reactions: mchsalumni
Probably good that you are prohibited from placing a bet involving Illinois college teams inside the state borders. Maybe other states should institute this.
You're also prohibited in Illinois from carrying a gun without a license & or in safe zones & you see how well that is working

Reactions: LTHSALUM76
Adding fuel to this fire is the move away from using cash.
I know young people that have never used cash and never experienced that sinking feeling of shelling out hard cash and instantly recognizing that something that was just yours no longer belongs to you.
It quickly went from laying down a plastic card, that being less painful than parting with cash to now simply pushing a button on their phone and voom, they are on their way,
Yes it sounds like a get off of my lawn comment but I truly believe these kids are being cheated out of developing an appreciation for the value of money.

Adding fuel to this fire is the move away from using cash.
I know young people that have never used cash and never experienced that sinking feeling of shelling out hard cash and instantly recognizing that something that was just yours no longer belongs to you.
It quickly went from laying down a plastic card, that being less painful than parting with cash to now simply pushing a button on their phone and voom, they are on their way,
Yes it sounds like a get off of my lawn comment but I truly believe these kids are being cheated out of developing an appreciation for the value of money.
There’s probably something to be said about that…

Did you guys hear about the Phil Mickelson allegations?
Jordan-esque level gambling.
I might be overlooking something, but I honestly dont have a huge problem with a professional athlete betting if he’s betting on him/herself.

I never understand why people do what they do. It’s obviously a something he can’t control. Absolutely makes no sense. If you’re betting on sports and especially your own sport and it’s written in his contract, then why?

I might be overlooking something, but I honestly dont have a huge problem with a professional athlete betting if he’s betting on him/herself.
It’s the Pete Rose problem. Sure you only bet on yourself. But if you bet on your team friday and then you bet less on yourself Saturday and then Sunday you didn’t wager at all, what does that mean? Why did you gamble less or not at all certain days? Who else is aware of your choices? Do the differing levels of “action” have any correlation to differing levels of confidence?

If the manager of the Phillies wagered yesterday but not today, does he have a guy on the side placing proxy bets because he knows his fourth starting pitcher is having a hidden mental or physical roadblock and a bad matchup with the Mets lineup on a certain day? Betting on yourself is only defensible if you put the exact same wager on yourself every single competition and never deviate. And even then it’s still dumb and a violation of every league’s rules for athletes.

I put sports gambling right up there with fantasy football, k-pop, and the kardashians as things that I don’t understand the appeal of. But to each his own….

Last edited:
I dabble in the sports gambling world, but nothing too serious in terms of what I put up. Just reading the amounts Phil was losing gave me an anxiety attack.

There are literally hundreds of ways around this issue, so in state lockouts mean nothing.

Reactions: USD24
Sports betting has always been huge among college athletes and college students in general nothing has really changed other then it being out in the open.
Accurate.

We were gambling like maniacs in college too, it just wasn't point and click.

This isn't a new phenomenon gentlemen.

Reactions: USD24 and ClownBaby
There are literally hundreds of ways around this issue, so in state lockouts mean nothing.
I agree that people are gonna find ways to bet if they want to bet, but the location based lock outs at least make it so it’s not as simple as a few clicks on the iphone. Would need something or someone else involved to get it done. I do know DraftKings can detect VPNs and will block placing bets or entering cash DFS contests. Found this out during some of my travels.

Easy access to sports betting is here to stay and making it easier to bet high school games sounds better and better every time I hear it!

Imagine caring so little about the money you've earned that you enjoy gambling... I don't get it.
Imagine making so much money that you can "afford" to gamble most of it away... I don't get it.

I don't get what makes gambling fun. But that's me... I've had this conversation before with a friend and I told him I don't think he likes sports at all, he likes gambling. He doesn't tune into a game to see Lebron face Steph or Mahomes face Burrow. He tunes in bc he put $100 on whoever... otherwise he doesn't watch the games.

I am not and will never be in favor of sports gambling. Not in any capacity. But the variable that's changed is obviously the legalized sports gambling and the use of smart phones, apps, etc to place such bets. Force people to have to travel to a specific location and that's the only location you can place the bets, nothing online. That would probably take care of most of this, imo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT