ADVERTISEMENT

The Stage Spring Showcase: Who Stood Out? OL and DL

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
The Stage Spring Showcase was a camp co-hosted by myself along with EFT Sports Performance and Boom....a collaboration that works for all three parties in many ways. This was our final camp for the year....and fortunately we were able to draw roughly 200 plus kids along with a very long list of college coaches in attendance and included multiple coaches from SIU, Illinois State, Western Illinois, Eastern Illinois, South Dakota State, North Dakota, Murray State, Illinois Wesleyan, UW Platteville, Grand Valley State, Roosevelt, West Virginia Wesleyan, Carthage, Valparaiso, Cornell, Judson, St Francis (Joliet), North Central College, College of DuPage and a handful of others.

So who stood out? Again I always preface this breakdown with the following.....I admittedly as the host of this camp have multiple responsibilities and at times I get pulled away from having complete focus on evaluating players at times. I talk quite a bit with the various position coaches working the camp and get feedback from them in many cases. Overall numbers ended up in the 200 kid range...a pretty perfect number of kids for a camp.

Also thanks to the College of DuPage who have always welcomed me with open arms....and COD has a very impressive facility and stadium and is an outdoor site that is just a great place to hold a camp.

So Who Stood Out?

Offensive Linemen

103 Spencer Dow Maine South 2023 -
Dow is an experienced camp kid who once again showed up and had a very solid all around showing. Dow is built as an ideal OC at the higher college level, possesses good strength and power along with also having very good feet and balance. Dow just moves well, is an athletic linemen who again is consistently solid with his overall hands and technique. Dow I feel has FCS level talent and ability.

104 Chris Farrell Lisle 2023- No question Farrell was able to show well here...and caught the attention of basically multiple FCS schools in attendance. Farrell has made some impressive physical gains and is a bigger, stronger and a more confident player this spring. Farrell has become a stronger plater with an improved punch and the muscle to just lock up all opposing defensive linemen. Farrell also was able to show that he still has good feet and quickness in one on ones and his overall motor has always been strong and was again here on Tuesday. I would be surprised to not see Farrell add a handful of FCS after his camp showing.

107 Brandon Hansen Mundelein 2024- Hansen continues to improve in all facets of his game this spring and he continues to look more and more like a potential Power 5 candidate from the State of Illinois in 2024. Hansen has ideal OC/OG size and tools for the Power 5 level and he also continues to get stronger. leaner and just more physical with every rep. Hansen's balance, feet and ability to just use his hands better than 95 percent of all high school linemen is a key and a strength here for Hansen.

117 Danny Zarco Jr. Lyons Townshjp 2024- Danny Zarco Jr. is a camp regular and a kid who just hustled in every camp. Zarco Jr. plays hard, has a really nice mix of size, length and still also has room to grow and will add more good weight and size over the next year plus. Zarco Jr. was strong again here in one on ones, won more than he lost and again just seems to get better with the more work he gets in this off season. Zarco Jr. is already on several watch list already and he has a chance to be in line for a big 2022 season on a few different levels. I get the feeling Zarco Jr. upcoming season video will get a lot of traction.

118 Gabe Rosen Evanston 2023- Rosen is a big kid physically who has made some progress in shedding weight from when I first saw him a year or so ago. Rosen has improved his overall technique, is always working hard and takes a ton of reps here despite fighting thru a nagging type of injury. Rosen will still need to keep improving his overall feet/quickness but has a chance to draw more serious recruiting looks and interest this summer and fall. I see Rosen as more of an interior offensive linemen at day the FCS level.

Defensive Linemen

201 Joey Ayala Wheaton St Francis 2023-
Ayala was consistently strong in one on ones and showed a ton of upside and potential in my eyes. Ayala has good size (6-foot-3, 220 pound range) and was able to showcase a bag of pass rush moved along with impressive hands and technique. Ayala was able to take on and beat opposing OL with both a speed rush as well as having the overall strength to beat OL inside as well.

202 Laquan Battle Mount Carmel 2023- I've been touting Laquan Battle for a bit now and his game is really starting to take shape after coming off a season long injury that held him out all of the 2021 fall football season. Battle has added some additional strength and power, his feet and overall quickness is still there and Battle continues to build upon what I already felt was a FBS/FCS level tools and ability this spring. Battle has a chance to become a spring/summer offer kid.

211 Micheal Garner Bloom Township 2023- The Bloom kid is in many ways what I expected to see in person for the first time....Micheal Garner is a long, quick and lanky athlete who will no question add much more weight and strength over the next 18-24 months. This was Garner's first showcase camp and in many ways he at times looked green....including having very limited pass rush tools and overall technique. However....on the positive side Garner showed some real flashes of bigger and better things to come. Garner was a quick study, was able to gain more and more confidence in one on ones and once he's able to add more good weight and strength....he's a potential high level FBS player and athlete in my opinion. Huge potential and upside here.

223 Asher Tomaszewki Mount Carmel 2023- Asher Tomaszewski, who has added multiple scholarship offers already on the offensive line decided to work on his game on the defensive side of the football. Tomaszewski was very solid here and has very good strength and power, showed a good amount of pass rush moves and solid technique. Tomaszewski was impressive in one on ones and just battled all comers. While I still feel his football future is at say OC/OG at the FBS level, he showed really well here on the defensive line.

225 Jay Williams Palatine 2025- Williams is no stranger to these camps and he's already made tremendous strides in his overall game from a year ago on many levels. Williams already has the size and physical tools of a Power 5 level athlete and his overall advancement in his pass rush technique and fundamentals have just moved forward. Williams on the high school level can and will just over power several opposing OL, yet his overall quickness, strength and just his God given ability is just unquestioned....already as a freshman in high school. Williams will be a special athlete and player here in Illinois. I can see bigger school come after him hard starting this summer and he will be a major Power 5 level defensive linemen in the Class of 2025 nationally.

227 Tavon Rice Mount Carmel 2024- Tavon Rice came away with barely any of his camp shirt left, a badge of honor for any defensive linemen in a camp session. Rice was easily one of the most active prospects at this camp....Rice just never seems to not take an open rep and battled all night long against the top kids in this camp. Rice has very good overall strength and good quickness, and I was also impressive with his feet and balance while also using his hands and technique well. Rice also has a really high motor and just never slowed down the entire camp. Rice has gotten strong and quicker from when I was him in the fall and his overall game has grown considerably.

228 Devon Van Ness Barrington 2024- Devan is the younger brother of former Barrington and Iowa DE Lukas Van Ness and while Devon doesn't have the overall length and height of his older brother....Devon no question has a ton to offer. Van Ness has exceptional speed and quickness and was able to beat opposing OL with both his speed and highly advanced technique. The next year or so will be important for Van Ness both from a physical growth standpoint and a development standpoint. If his physical development can catch up with his advanced game already....look out.

Next Up: Tight Ends/Running Backs and Linebackers

Reactions: Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News