ADVERTISEMENT

The SCN/Hoffman Estates hosting situation

King MJ

Jul 22, 2001
For those who don't know, this Saturday's SCN/Hoffman Estates game is scheduled for 2pm Saturday at Hoffman Estates.

Currently Hoffman Estates is hosting state tournament soccer games at the following times

9AM
11AM (usually starts late)
6PM
8PM (usually starts late)

Am I alone here or does this have all of the making of a travishamockery?

Having a state tourney game with effectively an unknown starting time (due to potential overlap of soccer) isn't fair to either football game. If they move the trophy and medal ceremony for soccer (which they will likely have to do in order to let football teams warm up), it isn't fair to soccer kids.

And if there is any inclement weather, it kills the entire day for everyone.

Common sense is they move the game a couple miles away to Conant.

Reactions: Valley Rat
My question is why would HE even consider hosting the soccer state championships? Were they thinking the football team wouldn't make the playoffs? Did they just want their share of the soccer gate and were gonna hope round 2 was a road game for the football team?

My question is why would HE even consider hosting the soccer state championships? Were they thinking the football team wouldn't make the playoffs? Did they just want their share of the soccer gate and were gonna hope round 2 was a road game for the football team?
Hoffman has hosted the state soccer finals for a few years for both boys and girls. They also host the state finals for boys' volleyball and boys' gymnastics. They have also been the host school for the 3A and 4A boys' supersectional at he NOW Arena/ Sears Centre.

Say what you want, but they are one of the few state schools that step up year in and year out to host these events.

Yes, its a tough situation. But they are "gonna" be able to handle it

There's always the potential they wanted Friday night but SCN said no, or they were told no to Friday by EG last week.

Reactions: RameyJacoby
Hoffman has hosted the state soccer finals for a few years for both boys and girls. They also host the state finals for boys' volleyball and boys' gymnastics. They have also been the host school for the 3A and 4A boys' supersectional at he NOW Arena/ Sears Centre.

Say what you want, but they are one of the few state schools that step up year in and year out to host these events.

Yes, its a tough situation. But they are "gonna" be able to handle it
I remember hearing a story about Morton bringing 75 buses to the state soccer finals.
If they can handle 75 buses they can handle this.

Move the thrid place soccer games to another district school. Problem solved.

Move the thrid place soccer games to another district school. Problem solved.
So the 3rd place soccer match gets bumped for a 2nd round playoff game? Hoffman Estates knew this was a possibility when they agreed to host the soccer finals. They should move the football game to Conant, Fremd, or Palatine. The teams playing in the 3rd place game should not have their STATE FINALS experience diminished or altered for a second round playoff game that can be played at 3 other district schools, or at SCN for that matter. If you don't want to lose the home game, don't host the soccer finals.

So the 3rd place soccer match gets bumped for a 2nd round playoff game? Hoffman Estates knew this was a possibility when they agreed to host the soccer finals. They should move the football game to Conant, Fremd, or Palatine. The teams playing in the 3rd place game should not have their STATE FINALS experience diminished or altered for a second round playoff game that can be played at 3 other district schools, or at SCN for that matter. If you don't want to lose the home game, don't host the soccer finals.
There is no bumping of a third place game.

The 2A third-place game is first. Just like it was before. When that game gets completed, after warmups, there will be the 2A championship game.

There was always a 4 to 5-hour dead period before the start of the 3A third place game. That "dead period" is when the football game will be played. Should be, at most, three hours.

Then after the football game is completed, the 3A third place game takes place, then the championship game.

I know they looked at many options, including moving the third place games to another school. Soccer wants all their games played at the same location. Makes sense to me.

The only option that I know that they did not have was moving the football game and certainly there was never a consideration to move it to St. Charles North.

The people who will be most affected by this are the workers at Hoffman. Figure they are going to put in a solid 15-hour day with little to no break.

Reactions: RD_Watcher
There is no bumping of a third place game.

The 2A third-place game is first. Just like it was before. When that game gets completed, after warmups, there will be the 2A championship game.

There was always a 4 to 5-hour dead period before the start of the 3A third place game. That "dead period" is when the football game will be played. Should be, at most, three hours.

Then after the football game is completed, the 3A third place game takes place, then the championship game.

I know they looked at many options, including moving the third place games to another school. Soccer wants all their games played at the same location. Makes sense to me.

The only option that I know that they did not have was moving the football game and certainly there was never a consideration to move it to St. Charles North.

The people who will be most affected by this are the workers at Hoffman. Figure they are going to put in a solid 15-hour day with little to no break.

If everything works perfectly, this may work.

However, what is there is a lightning delay for one of the morning of afternoon games? How will they handle the medal ceremony?

Assuming no overtime and no weather issues, the championship game will be over at 12:50pm, at best. Then you have the medal ceremony which can take 20-30 minutes.

Will you still have it on the field when football teams will be warming up? When will you clear the stadium so you can charge folks for the football game ? Will you allow soccer parents to take pictures with their kids after what could be their last game ever? Will you even let parents watch the trophy ceremony?

My biggest concern isn't on the football side of things.. Its that you are impacting the experience of the kids in the state finals.

Football game should be moved, IMO. If the 2A third place soccer game goes into OT and penalty kicks, the championship isn't starting until 11:30 or so. Then if that game goes into OT and penalty kicks. Plus the medal ceremony. When is there going to be time for the football teams to warm up?

Just looking at Google Maps - I'd say football can do all their warm-ups on the baseball/softball fields. When they come to the stadium, the 20 minute clock starts.

2A medal ceremony and awards will happen south of the field, while the grounds crew shifts the field from Soccer to Football. The only families that will want pictures "on the field" are HE families, and they are not in the tournament. Everyone else is playing on a neutral field, so it's not that important.

In my experience, most soccer families will not want to hang out for the football game, plus, they already paid IHSA playoff fees, so not something to worry about. Football game plays until completion. 3A soccer can warm up on other fields.

The biggest logistical issue will be getting football off the field, especially if HE loses. But that is on the AD and the department crew. If the 3A third place game pushes a start time 15-20 minutes, it's not that big of a deal. The nice thing is Soccer is (for the most part) a set time - 2 x 40 minute half, 10 minute half time; whereas football game length is more variable.

I'm sure the AD has it all figured out. They are normally smarter than the public gives them credit for. It's probably not as big of a deal as it may seem.

Football game should be moved, IMO. If the 2A third place soccer game goes into OT and penalty kicks, the championship isn't starting until 11:30 or so. Then if that game goes into OT and penalty kicks. Plus the medal ceremony. When is there going to be time for the football teams to warm up
Why move the football game? Why move anything?

There is plenty of room at Hoffman to warm up before the game.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
I believe the AD will do the best he/she can, but its a logistical challenge with no room for error.

One key point about your post is about post-medal ceremony pictures. Whoever wins state will want to be taking a ton of pictures on the field. Trust me, the athletes of the winners won't be cleared off the field unless 45 minutes post-game at the earliest.

IHSA rules require at least 30 minutes of warmups on game field, but i see your point about pregame.

All that said, even with everyone doing their best, I think a 2pm start is unlikely. 2:30 more likely at best.

Also, the IHSA needs to figure out how to handle the ticketing situation. Soccer state finals should cost more than a 2nd round playoff game. At what point will they change the turnstile from football to soccer.

If i know anything about they IHSA, they won't let anyone pay $6 for admission when they should be paying $10.

Reactions: RD_Watcher
I believe the AD will do the best he/she can, but its a logistical challenge with no room for error.

One key point about your post is about post-medal ceremony pictures. Whoever wins state will want to be taking a ton of pictures on the field. Trust me, the athletes of the winners won't be cleared off the field unless 45 minutes post-game at the earliest.

IHSA rules require at least 30 minutes of warmups on game field, but i see your point about pregame.

All that said, even with everyone doing their best, I think a 2pm start is unlikely. 2:30 more likely at best.

Also, the IHSA needs to figure out how to handle the ticketing situation. Soccer state finals should cost more than a 2nd round playoff game. At what point will they change the turnstile from football to soccer.

If i know anything about they IHSA, they won't let anyone pay $6 for admission when they should be paying $10.
Actually, as far as pictures, the IHSA is contracted out for that. They don't allow parents on the field for pics.

Since this isn't Hoffman's first rodeo for hosting state, I am sure they already have that figured out how much to charge and how to clear people out expediently.

Why the 2pm start? Why not 2:30?

Barring overtime, high school soccer games take roughly 90 minutes from start to finish. Even if that 11am game started at 11:30, a game decided in regulation would end at 1:00. Add 30 minutes for photos and trophies, and that would leave a half hour before football warmups should start.

I think the bigger issue here is going to be the parking lot!

With a 2:30 start and, barring overtime, the football game will be finished well before warmups for the 6pm soccer game.

Sounds like a lot of home field advantage for Hoffman. Which I am sure they are enjoying. SCN can deal with the "factors".

Sounds like a lot of home field advantage for Hoffman. Which I am sure they are enjoying. SCN can deal with the "factors".
In theory, but I highly doubt HE is used to working around so many soccer games so I don't know how it would give them any more of a home field advantage.

In theory, but I highly doubt HE is used to working around so many soccer games so I don't know how it would give them any more of a home field advantage.

the Home field advantage would likely be around being family with the warmup fields, since it sounds like on-field warmups will likely be limited.

What is the difference between this and when Sophomore games are being played prior to Varsity? Other than needing to set up the field, the situation for the teams are no different. Warm up on a different field, and come into the stadium, do a quick warm-up, and play.

What is the difference between this and when Sophomore games are being played prior to Varsity? Other than needing to set up the field, the situation for the teams are no different. Warm up on a different field, and come into the stadium, do a quick warm-up, and play.
I think it will end up being fine, the Hoffman staff will absolutley make it a great experience.

I think you don't realize how many people show up to State Soccer. I wasn't joking when Morton HS brought 75 fan buses about 5 years ago. State soccer is literally standing room only. The only issue that I could see happening is getting in and out for the games.

Hire the CPL Red Coat security guards and I promise you that 45 minutes will be reduced to 15...tops. Pictures? Hilarious.

I think it will end up being fine, the Hoffman staff will absolutley make it a great experience.

I think you don't realize how many people show up to State Soccer. I wasn't joking when Morton HS brought 75 fan buses about 5 years ago. State soccer is literally standing room only. The only issue that I could see happening is

Morton is a soccer school first, and are out of the tournament. Of the 8 schools still in 3A tournament, one 1 - Romeoville - may be more of a soccer school than any of the others. 5 of the 8 schools also had football teams in the 8A or 7A playoffs.

I just don't see the logistical issues everyone is clutching their pearls over. HC hosted a Varsity soccer game before the Varsity homecoming football game this year. It wasn't that big of a deal, and was kind of fun to see.

Its not folks coming onto the field. Its parents going to the side of the stands and taking pictures of their kids with their medals and trophies.
Exactly. CPL security doesn’t care about parents or pictures. That’s why they’d be perfect for the job. I’ve seen events where people are taking pictures, and the security people walk right in the shot with their arms out shooing people out of the stadium. No lie.

Exactly. CPL security doesn’t care about parents or pictures. That’s why they’d be perfect for the job. I’ve seen events where people are taking pictures, and the security people walk right in the shot with their arms out shooing people out of the stadium. No lie.
Just another reason to attend a CPS game! I only know 1 person who hates fun more than a CPS Red Coat, but that’s a story for another day!

A factor to keep in mind is that the soccer games on Saturday will be far longer than average. Without fail, there will be at least one lopsided game. Once that starts to happen, the game gets out of hand with a whole bunch of whistles and cards. Kids have no reason to care about any consequences when it is their last game and emotions are sky high.
Looking at the 2A games, I see the third place game being lopsided and the title game as a defensive struggle. Not a great formula for on time finishes.

Football started at 2:30. Was done around 5. .

The Hoffman people were great. They got people out of the stadium quickly and turned things around fast. I think we would have been on time had it not been so windy.

Game would not have been so long had the refs not called 23 penalties.

I was wrong! Well done by the Hoffman Estates team. Not an easy feat to pull off, especially with the weather. Good day of high school sports. Wonder if anyone sat there the full 12+ hours.

Reactions: Quags57
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT