ADVERTISEMENT

The Original Chicago Catholic League Thread - 2017 - Week Nine

ignazio

Oct 25, 2007
The weather forecast for Friday is 75° and partly cloudy.
Which, all things considered this season, is appropriate for week 9.
One interesting game of note: Friars and Meteors play at Cronin-Doyle on Saturday. Both are qualified for the playoffs, so the field will be largely set by the time they kickoff. What happens if a loss better suits each team for playoff matchups? Ref, can we get a ruling on what happens if the kick returner refuses to field the kick or, better yet, runs it out the back of his own end zone?

BLUE:
BR (2-6) @ LA (7-1) [2017] Loyola Academy (Wilmette, IL) 31, [2017] Brother Rice (Chicago, IL) 8
PC (5-3) @ MC (5-3) [2017] Providence Catholic (New Lenox, IL) 28, [2017] Mount Carmel (Chicago, IL) 14
MA (5-3) @ SR (6-2) [2017] St. Rita (Chicago, IL) 46, [2017] Marmion Academy (Aurora, IL) 21

GREEN:
MA (5-3) @ SR (6-2) above
F (5-3) @ DLS (6-2) [2017] De La Salle (Chicago, IL) 26, [2017] Fenwick (Oak Park, IL) 24
MCHS (5-3) @ SF (1-7) [2017] Montini Catholic (Lombard, IL) 42, [2017] St. Francis (Wheaton, IL) 6

WHITE:

SJ (3-5) @ AC (4-4) [2017] Aurora Christian (Aurora, IL) 35, [2017] St. Joseph (Westchester, IL) 17
SL (6-2) @ SI (6-2) [2017] St. Laurence (Burbank, IL) 35, [2017] St. Ignatius (Chicago, IL) 7
BMac (3-5) @ Hope (6-2) [2017] Chicago Hope Academy (Chicago, IL) 31, [2017] Bishop McNamara (Kankakee, IL) 28

RED:
BMac (3-5) @ Hope (6-2) above
TECH (2-6) @ Leo (2-6) [2017] Leo (Chicago, IL) 28, [2017] DePaul College Prep (Chicago, IL) 14

GREEN:
F (5-3) @ DLS (6-2) [2017] De La Salle (Chicago, IL) 26, [2017] Fenwick (Oak Park, IL) 24
MCHS (5-3) @ SF (1-7) [2017] Montini Catholic (Lombard, IL) 42, [2017] St. Francis (Wheaton, IL) 6

Ignazio,

Rita beats Marmion
Fenwick in a tight one over DeLasalle
Montini beats SF 45-7.

Reactions: ignazio
LA 35 BR 7
Could be by more but Holecek pulls his starters by mutual agreement so none of his players get hurt. And no I won’t say any more about LA being above par..... kidding - sort of

PC 28 MC 21
PC may be able to to run the ball and wear MC out by the end of the game because of their size. But if Alek Thomas can pull a rabbit out of his helmet maybe it’s a different story. A win for either team is big because of the pairings come Saturday night.

SR 28 MA 17
The SR QB is out but the backup QB is supposed to be a stud defensive player and is a lot bigger than the starter was. SR tryies to get up early and pull starters early. 7-2 for pairings is a lot better than 6-3.

DLS over Fenwick by a couple in a squeaker

Leo over DePaul for a continued win streak!

One interesting game of note: Friars and Meteors play at Cronin-Doyle on Saturday. Both are qualified for the playoffs, so the field will be largely set by the time they kickoff. What happens if a loss better suits each team for playoff matchups? Ref, can we get a ruling on what happens if the kick returner refuses to field the kick or, better yet, runs it out the back of his own end zone?

BLUE:
BR (2-6) @ LA (7-1) [2017] Loyola Academy (Wilmette, IL) 31, [2017] Brother Rice (Chicago, IL) 8
PC (5-3) @ MC (5-3) [2017] Providence Catholic (New Lenox, IL) 28, [2017] Mount Carmel (Chicago, IL) 14
MA (5-3) @ SR (6-2) [2017] St. Rita (Chicago, IL) 46, [2017] Marmion Academy (Aurora, IL) 21

GREEN:

WHITE:

SJ (3-5) @ AC (4-4) [2017] Aurora Christian (Aurora, IL) 35, [2017] St. Joseph (Westchester, IL) 17
SL (6-2) @ SI (6-2) [2017] St. Laurence (Burbank, IL) 35, [2017] St. Ignatius (Chicago, IL) 7
BMac (3-5) @ Hope (6-2) [2017] Chicago Hope Academy (Chicago, IL) 31, [2017] Bishop McNamara (Kankakee, IL) 28

RED:
TECH (2-6) @ Leo (2-6) [2017] Leo (Chicago, IL) 28, [2017] DePaul College Prep (Chicago, IL) 14
LA 35-0 Don't know where BR's heads are at for this one.

MC 28-27. Solid matchup here. Give edge to the home team

SR 17-10. First, hats off to #8 Jake Zylman who left it all out on the field every play until his last football play. A true Mustang for the ages. Get well soon. New QB, some timing stuff, some read option things to work out. Seniors will have to lead and everyone will have raise the level of their game to help out promising JR QB.

DLS 26-20 DLS is playing this one at Pat Cronin Field. Maurice "Pat" Cronin, legendary SR coach during the 70s and early 80s coached at DLS before SR, propelling the meteors to a td win

Bronco

AC 42-17
SL 22-13

Everyone who put the work in deserves to have a senior night. No winner in this one.

Leo 33-27

That concludes a crazy regular season. I know Ignazio will run it through the playoffs as long as someone from the league stays alive. But thanks @ignazio, you sexy Jesuit, for another great year of the prediction thread

Last edited:
We're going to miss you, man.
May you help your Spartans get their mojo back and rejoin us.

Ignazio,

Getting out of the CCL is not a good idea.

I have said many times I am against SF leaving and going to the Metro. I hate to see us leave and be away from teams that we have played against for a long time. I think the Metro is weak and won't help us improve at all. I also agree that the Metro will break up soon. And what will we do then? What happens if it does break up? Will smaller schools try to kick us out or leave and make up a new league without us?

Reactions: RockSoup
Max preps getting me messed up. Which St Francis team is Montini playing???

Wheaton or St Francis WI near Milwaukee??

Ignazio,

Getting out of the CCL is not a good idea.

I have said many times I am against SF leaving and going to the Metro. I hate to see us leave and be away from teams that we have played against for a long time. I think the Metro is weak and won't help us improve at all. I also agree that the Metro will break up soon. And what will we do then? What happens if it does break up? Will smaller schools try to kick us out or leave and make up a new league without us?

Simon

Agree 100% with everything you said. Programs ebb and flow. Look at WWS.

St. Francis is going to rebuild in an easy conference. Soon they will be the tallest miget. Perhaps at that time they will see re-entry to the CCL or ESCC where they belong.

Simon

St. Francis is going to rebuild in an easy conference. Soon they will be the tallest miget. Perhaps at that time they will see re-entry to the CCL or ESCC where they belong.
Not going to jinx you with a farewell yet, Catman, but I hope you come back.

BLUE:

GREEN:

WHITE:

RED:

Rambler 38-10
Celtic 24-21
Mustang 31-14
Friar 28-21
Bronco 49-7
Eagle 35-6
Viking 35-17
Lion 20-14

So long to Bishop McNamara. Many a memory on those trips down 57. Some quality football and some special players during their CCL tenure.

St. Francis and Aurora Christian - it was fun while it lasted.

Good luck to all.

Reactions: Cat Box and ignazio
I'll take mighty, mighty Leo and give the 14 over the wreck.
And Hope is forecast to host for the playoffs. Might be the most ingenious move yet.
Taking the Wolves and the 28 points.
When the Iggles win, they roll.
Broncs over Sparto.
Meteors, giving 2 points, with both teams watching the scores online.
Cadets, taking the 25 points.
I think both MC and PC like their spot now, so it won't be all-out. Celts in a gentlemanly win.
And if anyone likes their current position, it's the Ramblers.

Reactions: RockSoup
SR over MA - New QB interesting to see what changes the offense shows.
PC over MC - As a fan maybe the best game of the lot.
LA over BR - Number one issue for LA is that no one gets hurt.
DLS over Fenwick - Close one but DLS is 3-0 playing home games at St. Rita.
Leo over DePaul - Toss up I like Leo in a squeaker.

Simon

Cat Box,

I hope so. I really think SF should stay and play with teams that we have always played against. I know the Metro has a bunch of former conference members from the WSCC and WSC, but I would like to stay with Marmion and Montini because they are about the same size school and if we get things rolling we can compete with them again.

I have always though the ESCC would be a good fit, but SF has no real rival like the CCL Green with MCHS and MA so I would prefer the CCL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT