ADVERTISEMENT

The Metamora Experience

penlight

May 29, 2001
Joliet
I have had the opportunity of seeing games in many places around the state and the Metamora Experience is if not the top, certainly one of the very top that I can recall.

The security guys and ticket staff were welcoming. The tasteful pre game ceremony with Redbird Alumni genuinely reflecting on what the spirit of the program has meant in their lives was special.

What a well maintained stadium and field! Wow!

I commend the Metomra leadership for having a truly professional PA announcer: Down, distance, ball carrier, tackler, the penalty called and yardage assessed .... PERIOD. Well done by all. Too often the spectators have to endure an offensive cheerleader as the PA announcer. Frankly, I am a bit jealous about this aspect and wish we could return to this style in our house.

Metamora has a championship program in all facets and they wear it well.

I am confident good fortune will return to the program in 2019.

My thanks to all of you in Redbirds Nation.

I have had the opportunity of seeing games in many places around the state and the Metamora Experience is if not the top, certainly one of the very top that I can recall.

The security guys and ticket staff were welcoming. The tasteful pre game ceremony with Redbird Alumni genuinely reflecting on what the spirit of the program has meant in their lives was special.

What a well maintained stadium and field! Wow!

I commend the Metomra leadership for having a truly professional PA announcer: Down, distance, ball carrier, tackler, the penalty called and yardage assessed .... PERIOD. Well done by all. Too often the spectators have to endure an offensive cheerleader as the PA announcer. Frankly, I am a bit jealous about this aspect and wish we could return to this style in our house.

Metamora has a championship program in all facets and they wear it well.

I am confident good fortune will return to the program in 2019.

My thanks to all of you in Redbirds Nation.
That was well said. First class program and first class facility. Well said and well deserved. I enjoyed myself. That grass field was awesome and painted perfectly. Bring back grass. Lol

THIS !! One of the big reasons why I attend fewer and fewer games each year. I find most of the people doing this particular job quite annoying. Typically, far removed from any sense of the traditional aspect of it that was the norm for decades.

"a truly professional PA announcer: Down, distance, ball carrier, tackler, the penalty called and yardage assessed .... PERIOD. Well done by all. Too often the spectators have to endure an offensive cheerleader as the PA announcer. Frankly, I am a bit jealous about this aspect and wish we could return to this style in our house."

Totally agree. I don't know who some of these PA announcers think they are, or what they think their job is. If they want to be a cheerleader they should put on a cheerleader outfit and perform on the sideline. I'm not just talking about only road games either - I find it very annoying for a grown man to try to be part of the show. If it is a student announcer, at least I can write it off to them not knowing better.

The experience should be about the kids - not some adult trying to be the star.

Last edited:
My two cents....100% concur. The facility is great and very well maintained. The grass was in pristine condition. Enjoyed the PA announcer's approach as well. Everything about Malone Field and Metamora's event management is first class.

I've been watching JCA and JC games with the same group of 4 to 6 pals since the mid 1970's. We all detest the cheerleading style from the PA at any stadium especially ours. Somebody needs to tell the PA about it. On the lighter side Metamora is a great place to watch football. The people are cheerful and courteous. The facilities are top notch and the pork chop sandwiches will knock your sox off. I had to actually touch the turf to be convinced it was natural. I'm elated we won in such convincing fashion but I do feel sorry for the players, coaches, and fans of Metamora.

Completely agree. Great experience and very welcoming place. We got into town about 3 and found a nice watering hole. Met some very nice people there. Had a great day, start to finish!
Been... And totally agree.

I've been watching JCA and JC games with the same group of 4 to 6 pals since the mid 1970's. We all detest the cheerleading style from the PA at any stadium especially ours. Somebody needs to tell the PA about it. On the lighter side Metamora is a great place to watch football. The people are cheerful and courteous. The facilities are top notch and the pork chop sandwiches will knock your sox off. I had to actually touch the turf to be convinced it was natural. I'm elated we won in such convincing fashion but I do feel sorry for the players, coaches, and fans of Metamora.
Ahhh for the days of the Illini 8

I will put Metamora on my 2019 calendar and for the PA announcers out there, thanks for volunteering- but less is always more. Stick to the facts we need to know
I believe the PA announcer at Lockport gets paid along with the time keeper and a few others in the booth.

I believe the PA announcer at Lockport gets paid along with the time keeper and a few others in the booth.
I was actually wondering that after I wrote my post - not sure if the PA job is a a volunteer thing or a paid gig -

Not a fan of our JCA”s announcer. They need to tell that guy to settle down. Pretty soon we’ll be worse than Morris’ announcer.

Reactions: penlight
Probably a volunteer job at most private schools, while I would assume it is a union thing, "Paid" at public schools.

After reading some of the posts I bet everyone here would love St. Chuck East's PA dude.. You concur Mac?

Get off my lawn...

After reading some of the posts I bet everyone here would love St. Chuck East's PA dude.. You concur Mac?

Get off my lawn...
Sat within earshot of that guy twice in StC’s pressbox. He’s a good guy (a teacher at East) but the Seth Rogan schtick wears awfully thin by about the 5 minute mark of Q1...unbearable by Q4.

Reactions: Tain33
Sat within earshot of that guy twice in StC’s pressbox. He’s a good guy (a teacher at East) but the Seth Rogan schtick wears awfully thin by about the 5 minute mark of Q1...unbearable by Q4.
Yep.. Also, you don't want to walk your dog on Kirk Rd during a game..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT