ADVERTISEMENT

The Good....The Not So Good...And the Ugly.

People have been doing this forever. Not sure the direct impair has on ANYTHING besides good media coverage.
Direct impact? Who knows? But it does create conversation about a very serious issue that needs to be addressed.

Reactions: playboymixx
Direct impact? Who knows? But it does create conversation about a very serious issue that needs to be addressed.

Ok...I’ll bite...what serious issue needs to be addressed on a high school football board?

How do you address it? How can you force an individual to do a gesture? (Standing)

What issue does it create? Really?

THE UGLY: Witnessing a subgroup of a team kneeling with heads down during the national anthem on the end line nearest the flag being honored. I do not look for this kind of thing at a game, but it was so obvious given the proximity to the flagpole. I will not call out the team directly, but if you want to figure it out, it was a visiting team in an 8A game Saturday night.
Ugly: not understanding we live in a country that encourages freedom of expression.

And I believe in standing but I don’t knock the ppl that don’t. Don’t really care. I can only control me.

I agree that people shouldn’t get bent out of whack over what other people do or say. We are all entitled to our own opinions. My opinion is that the singing of our national anthem and flag of our country should be the one time and one symbol that we come together in unity and respect and put our differences aside. There are plenty of other times and venues to exercise our right to peacefully protest. Again it’s just my opinion.

How do you address it? How can you force an individual to do a gesture? (Standing)

What issue does it create? Really?
I’m not saying you can or should force anyone into any gesture. I’m glad these kids feel strongly enough about somethig to make this gesture. I presume it’s along the same lines as the NFL guys and they are using this as a protest against police brutality. In my view, using any sort of public forum to highlight that problem and generate discussion about it is a good thing even when it’s done at a relatively low profile high school event.
Those guys are affected by this, too. They have real stakes in this and should be able to have a voice and encouraged to use it.

Last edited:
Reactions: playboymixx
The team I know least about this year is Bro. Rice. What do they do well and where do they have room to improve?

Kneeling during the anthem? Yes, I do.

I really wish we’d stop playing it before games. The I find the forced patriotism ridiculous.

I agree that playing the anthem before a game serves no purpose. They don't play the anthem when I go to Walgreen's or before a movie. They don't play it at church.

Playing a song or waving a flag is not patriotic. Doing the right thing for your country when the chips are down is. For example, paying your taxes without whining about it.

My main complaint is draft dodging politicians who wear flag pins.

I agree that playing the anthem before a game serves no purpose. They don't play the anthem when I go to Walgreen's or before a movie. They don't play it at church.

Playing a song or waving a flag is not patriotic. Doing the right thing for your country when the chips are down is. For example, paying your taxes without whining about it.

My main complaint is draft dodging politicians who wear flag pins.
MC63- Didn’t the draft end in 1973? That would put those “dodgers” at what mid-sixties. Please don’t limit your angst to such a small political sample size. How about them Bears?

Reactions: ClownBaby
MC63- Didn’t the draft end in 1973? That would put those “dodgers” at what mid-sixties. Please don’t limit your angst to such a small political sample size. How about them Bears?

The best thing about angst is that there's no shortage. Enough for everyone. You, too.

Speaking of the Bears, Charles Leno was penalized yesterday to the point that I miss Noah Jackson ("Holding, 65, offense!")

And I believe in standing but I don’t knock the ppl that don’t. Don’t really care. I can only control me.
I have no problem if you go to a game as a fan and decide not to stand, you are representing yourself and entitled to express your free choice. However, when you put on a uniform of a team or company you are representing more than yourself. You have a responsibility to everyone that supports and is in that organization. Therefore, stand and sit on your own time. IMHO.

I have no problem if you go to a game as a fan and decide not to stand, you are representing yourself and entitled to express your free choice. However, when you put on a uniform of a team or company you are representing more than yourself. You have a responsibility to everyone that supports and is in that organization. Therefore, stand and sit on your own time. IMHO.
Apparently team is now spelled t-e-i-m.

Reactions: Tain33
When you go to church, you kneel to show reverence. Perhaps the kneeling isn't actually showing disrespect to the flag and instead that's just what you've been taught or heard from people looking to change the discussion of why people are actually kneeling. I'm more bothered by the people that are on their phones or generally not paying attention over the people who kneel towards the flag.

Reactions: tmjgrady
do well = prevent teams from scoring lots of points

need to improve = all phases of special teams (not sure they can)

I think that is one thing that keeps Rice from being a perennial contender is that their coaching staff always seems to have a hole in it for a lack of a better term. I can only really compare it to MC and Rita and those two seem to for the most part have some continuity to their staffs. I understand the big move at MC this year but all other guys are still there. Once Nee took the baseball job at Rita, I'm not sure if he has football input (I think he was the OC). Both schools special teams coaches have been there for years.

I am not trying to bash Rice here by any means but to me that seems to be an issue. I could be completely wrong as this is just coming from an independent person with no inside ties to any football program other than as a fan. I was there Saturday and they seemed a little disjointed on special teams. Had to take a time out on a PAT, KO with 10 seconds left in half was poorly executed, fumbled a KO and a punt.

That defense though is so good they were able to play over some questionable decisions. If they let their defense win the game they certainly can. Pound the ball on offense, don't try anything on special teams and they should be fine.

Reactions: 3OrangeWhips
The best thing about angst is that there's no shortage. Enough for everyone. You, too.

Speaking of the Bears, Charles Leno was penalized yesterday to the point that I miss Noah Jackson ("Holding, 65, offense!")

MC63 wins this thread for the Buddha reference!!! :)

Reactions: Bowie50
I think that is one thing that keeps Rice from being a perennial contender is that their coaching staff always seems to have a hole in it for a lack of a better term. I can only really compare it to MC and Rita and those two seem to for the most part have some continuity to their staffs. I understand the big move at MC this year but all other guys are still there. Once Nee took the baseball job at Rita, I'm not sure if he has football input (I think he was the OC). Both schools special teams coaches have been there for years.

I am not trying to bash Rice here by any means but to me that seems to be an issue. I could be completely wrong as this is just coming from an independent person with no inside ties to any football program other than as a fan. I was there Saturday and they seemed a little disjointed on special teams. Had to take a time out on a PAT, KO with 10 seconds left in half was poorly executed, fumbled a KO and a punt.

That defense though is so good they were able to play over some questionable decisions. If they let their defense win the game they certainly can. Pound the ball on offense, don't try anything on special teams and they should be fine.
New special team guy this year
More importantly they have no kicker
Lost a three yr D1 PK

I saw 2 games this weekend.

Hononegah vs. WWS
Hon was absolutely huge, but team speed was lacking. You could tell they had never played against a defense like WWS all year. They got very lucky to even have 14 points with a fluke pass for the first TD.

Marist vs. Naperville Central
Marist's QB is an absolute stud. With over 200 yards rushing, and the other guy with 100 they keep coming at you. Team speed was very good. With that said, if NC had even an average Defense, they would have won. Peyton Thorne and his receivers could do whatever they wanted. Thorne was a man among boys, and needed his D to get a stop.

Great to see the DuKane do well. And guess how many DVC teams are left?? :)

Reactions: Videosurfer
I saw 2 games this weekend.

Hononegah vs. WWS
Hon was absolutely huge, but team speed was lacking. You could tell they had never played against a defense like WWS all year. They got very lucky to even have 14 points with a fluke pass for the first TD.

Marist vs. Naperville Central
Marist's QB is an absolute stud. With over 200 yards rushing, and the other guy with 100 they keep coming at you. Team speed was very good. With that said, if NC had even an average Defense, they would have won. Peyton Thorne and his receivers could do whatever they wanted. Thorne was a man among boys, and needed his D to get a stop.

Great to see the DuKane do well. And guess how many DVC teams are left?? :)

WWS like a bullet in that top 30 too. Well earned!

Good - Watching the team that no one seams to think is good kick butt once again.. Keep it up Dawgs..

Bad - Forced Patriotism?? Is that the same as having to watch last nights game because your wife is a Packer Fan..

I'm sooo tempted to say "See I told you so". :)

I never said they didn't belong! I know what Edgy was thinking. Get me a solid win and you leapfrog a bunch. They did and there they are.

While none of us has the golden answer t
Good - Watching the team that no one seams to think is good kick butt once again.. Keep it up Dawgs..

Bad - Forced Patriotism?? Is that the same as having to watch last nights game because your wife is a Packer Fan..

I enjoyed the final score.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/subu...otball-warren-brother-rice-st-1112-story.html

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT