ADVERTISEMENT

The Gateway Classic Review

Cross Bones

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2001
Saw some good talent yesterday. We showed up and the Cahokia/Cardinal Ritter game was still going on. I'm not sure if these teams were worn down and exhausted from the heat, but they seemed to be in slow motion in the 4th, however the game was a 2 point game. Don't remember the final score.

Phillips vs Chaminade - Chaminade, as I was told by locals, is known for being a hoops school not necessarily a football school. However they had a few nice players namely the QB. Don't think anyone else would go BCS on their roster. But they play hard and don't beat themselves. This game was very competitive. Two trips inside the Phillips 10 with no points to go along with fumbling back a Phillips fumble at the Phillips 1 really cost them the game. Phillips started cramping up a lot at the end of this one, but were able to physically overwhelm Chaminade. Phillips certainly passes the eye test.

Homewood Flossmoor vs Lutheran North - Luther North is reportedly loaded with D1 talent and they look it as well. The QB is nice, RBs run hard, got some big linemen and really all over look to have some nice athletes. What I also like about Lutheran is they play under control and don't beat themselves. This game was tight the 1st half and I felt they should actually be beating HF who wasn't as athletic. HF also looked more vanilla on offense than I am accustomed too, but they played under composure and we're were able to put together some nice TD drives to keep the game tied through 2. Then in the 2nd half HF was a little more deliberate with their offense and less vanilla and started to get the passing game going. Leon Tanna asserted himself in the running game and HF started targeting certain LN DBs and putting them in one on one situations with some nice HF WRs and HF won those battles and ultimately dominated the 2nd half. Despite all the D1 offers HF was clearly on a different level. But I like LN even though I came in skeptical after week 1 vs Naz. Let me be clear, Naz holding them to 1 score is impressive.

East Side vs Trinity - Trinity, like Lutheran North, passes the eye test undoubtedly. I was told by people I was sitting by that Trinity and Lutheran are comparable and likely the only schools who could challenge CBC who is #1 in St. Louis. What I will say is the difference between Trinity and Lutheran North is that Trinity QB. Best player at the event, period. No one was even close this includes the Bama prospect, and he's going to be an Illini. Can't say enough, the kid is electric. That said, I don't know what y'all feed these kids down in the metro but it seems you guys pressed fast forward and broke the button. Lutheran, Trinity, and East St have unbelievable speed and play with a pace that it hard to duplicate up North. But anyways, EStL started the scoring with a punishing drive that made it look like they would roll over Trinity for the rest of the evening, but it wasn't to be as Trinity responded immediately with a short pass to the RB to evade all the ESL pressure and he just outran the Flyer defense for 85 yards to the end zone. Not sure anyone up here can do that outside of maybe AJ Henning. Then Trinity tacks on another TD basically using the QB who is undersized but has a lazer for an arm (I can only compare his shiftiness and escapability to Antwan Randle-El) to pass and run and do everything on offense. ESL finally ends their scoring drought posting a TD before the end of the 3rd. The 14 all score would stand till overtime where ESL won in 3. Honestly East Side was fortunate to win this, not that they aren't good I'd say they definitely are. But that QB was scoring at will in OT until a 15 yard penalty pushed them to the 25 and their coached called a couple pass plays.

If I had to rank all the teams at the event:

1. H-F
2. East Side
3. Trinity
4. Lutheran North
5. Phillips
6. Chaminade
7. Cardinal Ritter
8. Cahokia

There was a visible difference between the top 3, middle 3, and bottom 2.

Saw some good talent yesterday. We showed up and the Cahokia/Cardinal Ritter game was still going on. I'm not sure if these teams were worn down and exhausted from the heat, but they seemed to be in slow motion in the 4th, however the game was a 2 point game. Don't remember the final score.

Phillips vs Chaminade - Chaminade, as I was told by locals, is known for being a hoops school not necessarily a football school. However they had a few nice players namely the QB. Don't think anyone else would go BCS on their roster. But they play hard and don't beat themselves. This game was very competitive. Two trips inside the Phillips 10 with no points to go along with fumbling back a Phillips fumble at the Phillips 1 really cost them the game. Phillips started cramping up a lot at the end of this one, but were able to physically overwhelm Chaminade. Phillips certainly passes the eye test.

Homewood Flossmoor vs Lutheran North - Luther North is reportedly loaded with D1 talent and they look it as well. The QB is nice, RBs run hard, got some big linemen and really all over look to have some nice athletes. What I also like about Lutheran is they play under control and don't beat themselves. This game was tight the 1st half and I felt they should actually be beating HF who wasn't as athletic. HF also looked more vanilla on offense than I am accustomed too, but they played under composure and we're were able to put together some nice TD drives to keep the game tied through 2. Then in the 2nd half HF was a little more deliberate with their offense and less vanilla and started to get the passing game going. Leon Tanna asserted himself in the running game and HF started targeting certain LN DBs and putting them in one on one situations with some nice HF WRs and HF won those battles and ultimately dominated the 2nd half. Despite all the D1 offers HF was clearly on a different level. But I like LN even though I came in skeptical after week 1 vs Naz. Let me be clear, Naz holding them to 1 score is impressive.

East Side vs Trinity - Trinity, like Lutheran North, passes the eye test undoubtedly. I was told by people I was sitting by that Trinity and Lutheran are comparable and likely the only schools who could challenge CBC who is #1 in St. Louis. What I will say is the difference between Trinity and Lutheran North is that Trinity QB. Best player at the event, period. No one was even close this includes the Bama prospect, and he's going to be an Illini. Can't say enough, the kid is electric. That said, I don't know what y'all feed these kids down in the metro but it seems you guys pressed fast forward and broke the button. Lutheran, Trinity, and East St have unbelievable speed and play with a pace that it hard to duplicate up North. But anyways, EStL started the scoring with a punishing drive that made it look like they would roll over Trinity for the rest of the evening, but it wasn't to be as Trinity responded immediately with a short pass to the RB to evade all the ESL pressure and he just outran the Flyer defense for 85 yards to the end zone. Not sure anyone up here can do that outside of maybe AJ Henning. Then Trinity tacks on another TD basically using the QB who is undersized but has a lazer for an arm (I can only compare his shiftiness and escapability to Antwan Randle-El) to pass and run and do everything on offense. ESL finally ends their scoring drought posting a TD before the end of the 3rd. The 14 all score would stand till overtime where ESL won in 3. Honestly East Side was fortunate to win this, not that they aren't good I'd say they definitely are. But that QB was scoring at will in OT until a 15 yard penalty pushed them to the 25 and their coached called a couple pass plays.

If I had to rank all the teams at the event:

1. H-F
2. East Side
3. Trinity
4. Lutheran North
5. Phillips
6. Chaminade
7. Cardinal Ritter
8. Cahokia

There was a visible difference between the top 3, middle 3, and bottom 2.

Great recap however for the night I think I would flip my top 4.

1. Trinity
2. H-F
3. Phillips
4. ESL.

Why so low on ESL , Well when you follow the Flyers you expect the best to me good effort not great. If Trinity utilizes QB a little more and short passes they win. Instead trying to go deep too much overall great games today all were close

Reactions: Cross Bones

1. Trinity
2. H-F
3. Phillips
4. ESL.

Why so low on ESL , Well when you follow the Flyers you expect the best to me good effort not great. If Trinity utilizes QB a little more and short passes they win. Instead trying to go deep too much overall great games today all were close
Often times we are our own most harsh critics so I get you putting your squad at 4. I wanted to put Trinity #1, but didn't for a few reasons:

A) they didn't get the win. Sometimes the better team loses I agree, but when the teams are comparable I'll always give the nod to the team that won. And in this case, the fact that they would go away from the QB (Williams I think his name was) is taken into account. Too many times in key moments they didn't let it do what it do. Also, I think without him (or if a team was able to minimize him) they'd be much easier to defend than the others should you take away their #1 option.

B) H-F - what I liked about H-F is they weren't overwhelming at any position at all, but were able to play to a tie until half with a team that was athletically superior, then make adjustments and dissect them in the 2nd half making it look like 2 different tiers of football. If there was a ranking of the players in the event, I don't know that H-F has more than 1 in the top 20 and the 1 would be a maybe. However, they played well together. And I was vocally cheering for LN.

C) East Side - Didn't play a perfect game by any stretch, but I think QB Williams and that RB would be able to do what they do to a lot of teams outside of Colquitt. I liked the fact the FLyers weren't too reliant on any one player, but instead had a bunch of guys that can make plays. That and you know, getting the win when you shouldn't.

D) Phillips - Struggled too much with Chaminade to think they'd beat Trinity, ESL, LN, or H-F. I kept thinking if Chaminade's QB had some wheels instead of being a pro-type the Wildcats would be toast. And their offense wouldn't be explosive enough to put up points. That said, they still have some very nice talent; I like Fabian McCray a lot he has a knack for making key plays. I like the RB #32 he's a load to bring down. And obviously Billingsley is a matchup problem with extremely soft hands and is a load to bring down. They seem to forget he exists sometimes on offense and they lack depth.

Chaminade could have won - and they are not world beaters.

Have not seen ESL this year / hope Eville streams next game.

Glad to hear Ritter was slow - Althoff has them later this year.

LN and Trinity will be bringing Hell to many a small-school foe in the playoffs.

ESL will have five huge regular season tests - they will be playoff ready or too beaten up by then. Not sure.

LN and Trinity will be bringing Hell to many a small-school foe in the playoffs.

ESL will have five huge regular season tests - they will be playoff ready or too beaten up by then. Not sure.

That why we schedule them like that

1. Trinity
2. H-F
3. Phillips
4. ESL.

You're assessment of Trinity is exactly what Edwardsville should have done against CBC. ESL #4 though?!!

The Eville vs ESL game will be broadcast live on the radio on 88.7FM. Not sure about a live stream yet, but I'll be checking on that.

Chaminade struggled with Belleville East in week 1 and so I assumed that Phillips was going to completely dominate them. I was surprised by the score.

I'm slightly concerned for the Flyers come playoff time. Eville is my team first, so I'm obviously pulling for them, but outside of that, the Flyers will likely have their hands full with that Ohio team in week 7 and Belleville West could be the sleeper in the conference and our area. The Flyers seeding in the playoffs could be tough with 1 or 2 more losses.

West - I’ll be chastised if I “hope” they realize potential. I’ve been burned before by believing they could go to the next level. That said, I included them in the five challenges.

Flip side of a three-loss seed is whoever draws the Flyers will groan. That’s your reward for going 8-1

The Eville vs ESL game will be broadcast live on the radio on 88.7FM. Not sure about a live stream yet, but I'll be checking on that.

Chaminade struggled with Belleville East in week 1 and so I assumed that Phillips was going to completely dominate them. I was surprised by the score.

I'm slightly concerned for the Flyers come playoff time. Eville is my team first, so I'm obviously pulling for them, but outside of that, the Flyers will likely have their hands full with that Ohio team in week 7 and Belleville West could be the sleeper in the conference and our area. The Flyers seeding in the playoffs could be tough with 1 or 2 more losses.

On paper West should be 5-0 going into the game against ESL. If no major injuries I like the flyers in this one. No disrespect to west. I just think with the level of competition the flyers play the first 3 weeks of the season . they will be fine tuning and getting ready for oct.,they will improve as the season goes on.

On paper West should be 5-0 going into the game against ESL. If no major injuries I like the flyers in this one. No disrespect to west. I just think with the level of competition the flyers play the first 3 weeks of the season . they will be fine tuning and getting ready for oct.,they will improve as the season goes on.

I think Belleville West will definitely be 5-0 heading into week 6 against the Flyers. I also definitely favor the Flyers. I've been wrong before about BW though. They surprised me in 2014 and 2015 by beating ESL and they surprised me last year by coming so close against ESL too. I'd be surprised to see BW win that game, but crazier things have happened.

Saw some flashes of Antwaan Randle El/Greg Williams in Isaiah Williams running the football for Trinity....Bones you agree?

I think Belleville West will definitely be 5-0 heading into week 6 against the Flyers. I also definitely favor the Flyers. I've been wrong before about BW though. They surprised me in 2014 and 2015 by beating ESL and they surprised me last year by coming so close against ESL too. I'd be surprised to see BW win that game, but crazier things have happened.

I could say something about all those games but will keep it to myself. I will tell you ESL will win that game

LUTHERAN NORTH'S FORD EARNS FIVE-STAR RATING

On his 16th birthday, Travion Ford joined an elite group — he's officially a five-star recruit.

On Tuesday, Ford was the latest area player to be given the rare five-star ranking by 247sports. Among the other area players to earn the distinction from 247sports include Edwardsville's AJ Epenesa (2017), East St. Louis' Terry Beckner Jr. (2015), Gateway STEM's Sheldon Richardson (2009) and Kirkwood's Darrell Lee (2000). Springfield Hillcrest's Dorial Green-Beckham, who was born in St. Louis, was rated as a five-star in 2012.

Rated as the top prospect in Missouri in the class of 2021, Ford is the No. 5-rated defensive end in the country and the No. 42 overall recruit.

The 6-foot-4 and 215-pound Ford holds offers from Alabama, Arkansas, LSU, Michigan State, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Tennessee and Texas Tech. Missouri and Illinois offered him in February.

Ford ended his sophomore season with 17 sacks and 84 tackles, including 11 for loss while at Lutheran St. Charles.

Ford transferred to Lutheran North in February.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT