ADVERTISEMENT

The fallout in Lake Zurich begins.................

No no no. Even though this must be a troll statement I'm still going to respond.

Kids being stupid making bad decisions are things such as: trying the green leafy plant that is legal now in several states, smoking, underage drinking, reckless with cars etc etc).

What we have here is Forced sexual assault and rape which is a felony crime. Authority figures looking the other way and/or actively trying to cover it up makes them accomplices in my book.

And the courts will disagree with your classifying it as a sexual assault , rather it will be a hazing charge.

We went thru the same thing a few years ago at our school. The way that it was explained here is that it doesn't matter if it was a kid junk or his hand shoved into another kids mouth, unless it can be proven that it was for arrousal purposes, it's a simple assault. Obviously the big difference there is that the offenders will not be places in the sexual offender data bases.

And the courts will disagree with your classifying it as a sexual assault , rather it will be a hazing charge.

We went thru the same thing a few years ago at our school. The way that it was explained here is that it doesn't matter if it was a kid junk or his hand shoved into another kids mouth, unless it can be proven that it was for arrousal purposes, it's a simple assault. Obviously the big difference there is that the offenders will not be places in the sexual offender data bases.

Okay now we're getting somewhere. So it happened at you school and you apparently
lived through this. Tell me you weren't one of
hazers were you? Or were you a victim? What school did you attend?

Okay now we're getting somewhere. So it happened at you school and you apparently
lived through this. Tell me you weren't one of
hazers were you? Or were you a victim? What school did you attend?

I am 54 years old, knew kids on both sides of the table, it obviously wasn't pleasant

I am having a hard time understanding why you say lesser forms of sexual hazing your pointing out. I see that as almost as bad. Again why would one think this is acceptable behavior? Unbelievable it's happening anywhere.

I don't find it acceptable anywhere but people need to wake up if they think this garbage isn't going on at other schools to a lesser extent. That being schools that are made aware of it stomp it out immediately but I would bet most cases are never reported.

I don't find it acceptable anywhere but people need to wake up if they think this garbage isn't going on at other schools to a lesser extent. That being schools that are made aware of it stomp it out immediately but I would bet most cases are never reported.

ClownBaby
I know your right. That's my point why is hazing considered acceptable at some schools? What's wrong with these people? I think all schools should
be investigated for this behavior. Doesn't OSHA investigate businesses for unsafe work practices? Well I think schools should be investigated for student safety. What do you think?

Maybe I'm very old and very uninformed which both likely are true, but I can't see how hazing helps build a team or bring a team closer together.

If you wanna call what happened at lake Zurich hazing then ask yourself how hazing of any kind helps bond a team closer.

To me it's an excuse for power hungry kids to pick on kids that can't defend themselves. That sort of thing will catch up with these types of kids the older hey get.

How cool will they look when they try and bully someone in college or the real world?

Hazing has historically been quite common in Fraternities in college. I believe the thinking was: each class (freshman class) will bond tightly if they have to stick together in difficult situations.

As you may have guessed I was in a fraternity back in the day (I won't say which one).

Things that were common during the fall/winter pledge period before hell week:

* the 20 man Frosh class having to drink a full keg in less than 30 minutes without spilling any beer on the floor (this requires the keg to always be running so one person always has to have their red cup empty to catch the running beer from the tap. Good things if successsful - bad things if not.

* running errands for active members (food, drinks). Taking care of pets, doing all chores around the fraternity house / cleaning crews etc.

* sleep deprivation - getting woken up in the middle of night for hell nights etc.

* Paying off our negative point totals each week by sittIng on a cold keg with ice on it with cold showers running for those of us. (The minutes used to be unlimited - but was cut down to 30minutes max due to one guy getting hypothermia after spending an hour in there). You got negative points for blowing off your cleaning crew assignment for example or by refusing an actives request for a food run, or to take notes for him in one of his classes so he could blow it off etc.
* myself and a few others always had a lot of negative points. In my case it was because there was one active guy (in the Soph class) who always asked me to get him food, go to his classes etc and I told him no each and every time. He would give me negative points for the refusal. That is why I remember the showers so vividly. Lucky for me my upper class frIends would always give a pint of Beam before I paid my points off.

Many other things I've probably forgotten.

None of this was sexual. The only potential crime would be the ice showers which could be construed as assault.

Why subject yourself to this?
1. I really liked the guys in my class and I didn't want to abandon them/quit on them
2 I liked most of the guys in the house
3. I had just turned 18 and was young and dumb.
4 the parties were fantastic!
5 the files on all the classes in the university with prior tests from previous semesters and previous years were extensive and most helpful.
6 (and most important) - tons of girls and tons of sorority functions.

So - what happened with the guy that was hazing me to the best of his ability do you ask? Well it turns out he was a guy that got hazed mercieslessly the prior year and the house tried to "wash him out" I did not know that at the time of course. Well I made it thru just fine (a few uppper classmen had a chat with him and he started staying away from me for the rest of the pledge period. But after I became an active in the spring - we were having a party and of course there was drinking - I had a little conversation with the hazer and it came to blows and I hurt him fairly badly. He moved out of the fraternity for his junior year and only showed up for social events and we stayed clear of each other. The next year for my sophomore year- I never gave any negative points to any freshmen pledges and gave plus points where I could to keep people out of the showers. By the time I was a senior and we were running the house the ice shower "tradition" was banned for our senior year so that Frosh class never felt the sting of the ice cold water and frozen ice.

The moral of the story? When you have been hazed or abused - a person can go two ways
* pass that pain onto another innocent
Or
* try and help those in danger of what happened to you.

At LZ - I fear there were one or two "Hazers" in each class that got hazed badly and passed it forward each year and added just a little to it so the next guy "got it a little worse than me" (misery loves company). This rolled forward thru the years until the Hazers at LZ broad jumped the line and landed into criminal sexual assult.

To corys and others points - if you allow any tradition to morph into any form of hazing - it will grow each year and jump the shark eventually.

Sorry for the long post.

Reactions: Gene K.
How is any form of hazing team building. Let's get it straight. Hazing is designed to make another inferior. How is that team building. Give me a real example of a football player or team doing what you call light hearted.

corey:

I have made my position on this entire sordid tale very clear and now advocate for LZ to drop their football program because of a stomach-turning culture which developed and persisted for years, but I think your exchange with ramblinman may be a question of semantics.

I don't read ramblin's post as either excusing or encouraging hazing in any way.

The preeminent dictionary on the planet, Oxford, defines hazing as: "The imposition of strenuous, often humiliating, tasks as part of a program of rigorous physical training and initiation."

In his post, which I labored to find as it is often a tactic for members to cleverly edit, ramblin is content with "clean and light-hearted team-building exercises."

I agree.

For example: It was custom at my high school for upperclassmen to enter the locker room and douse freshmen with ice cold water while they showered after football practice several times a season. Although a frigid ritual, it was one which inspired laughter for upperclassmen as 14-year-old boys emerged from the showers, some sprinting for towels. This is good, clean fun.

In the worldview of the upperclassmen, this built a feeling of common fellowship: They went through it and now we had to endure it.

If anyone had a right to complain it was, in fact, me: My two sisters were enrolled at a nearby all-girl schools and the upperclassmen knew both. This led to my second dousing on a number of occasions.

In this rite, no student was assaulted; in fact, no upperclassmen laid a hand on the freshmen. We carried on the observance as if it were a sacrament. Sure, you had a few kids who were ticked about having freezing-cold water poured all over them, but to the best of my memory, just about every kid laughed when they discovered it was an innocuous prank. Later known to us as "anointing," most of us looked forward to three years of dousing underclassmen with great eagerness.

I am also aware of one such ritual which continues to this day at a high school near my home in which freshmen football players are required by upperclassmen to carry pads and other equipment such as the ball bag to practice for the varsity every day.

Some may not make sense, and it may be difficult to explain how these rituals, some cherished, actually build team unity, but they don't constitute hazing.

I could likely offer a dozen more harmless rituals which could reasonably be applied to ramblinman's definition and not one could qualify as either hazing or assault.

I could be wrong, however, as I often am: We live in an epoch were "trigger warnings," "safe spaces" and "snowflake" students and their unhinged patrons dominate our educational institutions.

The grievance brigade controls our schools.

Reactions: mmca
corey:

I have made my position on this entire sordid tale very clear and now advocate for LZ to drop their football program because of a stomach-turning culture which developed and persisted for years, but I think your exchange with ramblinman may be a question of semantics.

I don't read ramblin's post as either excusing or encouraging hazing in any way.

The preeminent dictionary on the planet, Oxford, defines hazing as: "The imposition of strenuous, often humiliating, tasks as part of a program of rigorous physical training and initiation."

In his post, which I labored to find as it is often a tactic for members to cleverly edit, ramblin is content with "clean and light-hearted team-building exercises."

I agree.

For example: It was custom at my high school for upperclassmen to enter the locker room and douse freshmen with ice cold water while they showered after football practice several times a season. Although a frigid ritual, it was one which inspired laughter for upperclassmen as 14-year-old boys emerged from the showers, some sprinting for towels. This is good, clean fun.

In the worldview of the upperclassmen, this built a feeling of common fellowship: They went through it and now we had to endure it.

If anyone had a right to complain it was, in fact, me: My two sisters were enrolled at a nearby all-girl schools and the upperclassmen knew both. This led to my second dousing on a number of occasions.

In this rite, no student was assaulted; in fact, no upperclassmen laid a hand on the freshmen. We carried on the observance as if it were a sacrament. Sure, you had a few kids who were ticked about having freezing-cold water poured all over them, but to the best of my memory, just about every kid laughed when they discovered it was an innocuous prank. Later known to us as "anointing," most of us looked forward to three years of dousing underclassmen with great eagerness.

I am also aware of one such ritual which continues to this day at a high school near my home in which freshmen football players are required by upperclassmen to carry pads and other equipment such as the ball bag to practice for the varsity every day.

Some may not make sense, and it may be difficult to explain how these rituals, some cherished, actually build team unity, but they don't constitute hazing.

I could likely offer a dozen more harmless rituals which could reasonably be applied to ramblinman's definition and not one could qualify as either hazing or assault.

I could be wrong, however, as I often am: We live in an epoch were "trigger warnings," "safe spaces" and "snowflake" students and their unhinged patrons dominate our educational institutions.

I agree with you but the trick is to keep the traditions and rites from spiraling out of control.

In your example of the ice cold water (which I know well) over time it could morph into all showers turned on cold with bags of ice thrown in with the drains plugged and all freshman forced to March thru it for a period of time.

I know It seems far fetched for a cup of ice water over the head to morph into a forced ice march - but given enough time (and without leadership to keep things from gettIng out of control)- it sure can as the years roll by. Remember the Colorado river cut the Grand Canyon - all it took was time and nothing to stop the water from eroding the rocks.

corey:

I agree.

Witt
I understand and yes some of this stuff is nonsense.
If even now and then it turns bad is it really worth whatever the reward they are getting out of it? I don't believe it is. Even as you said the upperclassmen think it's funny but I bet the underclass stress over it and it's not much fun for them. Still feel it shouldn't happen no matter what the haze. Why subject the kids that are already nervous about the new school and the much older kids.

This wasn't some power sit up, far from it, and such actions are not all over the state.

While I don't agree with most of what BBCHS77 is saying his point that lesser forms of sexual hazing are going on in many locker rooms is pretty spot on. Kids getting pissed on, teabagged, swirlied and ridiculed is nothing that was invented in LZ although they have taken it to an unheard of level.

When I was playing college football and I would hear stories from high school lockers room I would think thank god i didn't go to that school.

It is very hard for me to believe that Males are interested in playing with other males sexually in most locker rooms across the country. This stuff is sick and anyone that has understanding or compassion for sick acts has issue themselves. I understood your original point of wait until they are proved guilty however, the act itself is completely out of line and should not be understood by anyone.

No no no. Even though this must be a troll statement I'm still going to respond.

Kids being stupid making bad decisions are things such as: trying the green leafy plant that is legal now in several states, smoking, underage drinking, reckless with cars etc etc).

What we have here is Forced sexual assault and rape which is a felony crime. Authority figures looking the other way and/or actively trying to cover it up makes them accomplices in my book.

I wonder what would be the thought if these same kids did this to cheerleaders. I guess because it is male or male, it's just boys being boys. Nope, can't see it. I couldn't even coach kids that feel this type of stuff is okay. I would be to disturbed to coach or associate myself with this type of stuff. I would never be able to look at those kids the same way once I learned of this type of action. Very disappointed in society right now.

The kids at Fenwick do NOTHING like this. As a matter of fact there is no hazing at all. They may razz the freshman a little in practice like "welcome to varsity" or something of nature but that's where t ends? Do you know why? Because the adults in charge won't stand for it. Those men and women do not allow garbage like that, the first sign of potential hazing or conduct unbecoming of a young adult and it's dealt with swiftly and sternly, you know what happens after that? Nothing! Everyone else falls into line. When the one kid tries to venture into something stupid he's reigned back in by the adults that have control over their program/school. Kids will be kids, they'll make mistakes but if they aren't taught what's right or wrong or dealt with they will continue to push the envelope of what's acceptable until we get to disgusting crap like this. Do you know many times people had to look the other way until we got to these disgusting acts? I don't even want to try to think about it because it's absolutely deplorable that these people are in charge with molding our children. I'm sure there are hundreds of parents and older siblings that have done nothing themselves, a program like that doesn't deserve to continue, at least not without penalty. So instead of the adults penalizing the kids before it got newsworthy we know have to penalize the adults but either way lessons need to be learned and that won't be accomplished by doing the same nothing that the admin has already done.

I've talked about this quite a bit with friends who also have HS aged kids and we've all said there is absolutely no way our kid would be back in that environment. They can eliminate the administration until they're Blue in the face but it's a culture of looking the other way that's doomed that school. Besides there is no way they would have gotten rid of everyone that looked the other way at some point.

I'm so blessed to have a man like Gino Nudo leading my boys. He would never stand for this, and I can tell you there's no way they would have suited up, playoffs or not. After talking to some Naz friends I heard stories about Racki kicking kids off the team, sitting them out in games, running them until they puke etc. I guess he benched a LB in the '14 season (perfect season) for putting something slightly offensive on instagram. There is a reason I'm a fan of those two programs, win or lose those men will do it the right way. Sorry I should probably end this rant.

The kids at Fenwick do NOTHING like this. As a matter of fact there is no hazing at all. They may razz the freshman a little in practice like "welcome to varsity" or something of nature but that's where t ends? Do you know why? Because the adults in charge won't stand for it. Those men and women do not allow garbage like that, the first sign of potential hazing or conduct unbecoming of a young adult and it's dealt with swiftly and sternly, you know what happens after that? Nothing! Everyone else falls into line. When the one kid tries to venture into something stupid he's reigned back in by the adults that have control over their program/school. Kids will be kids, they'll make mistakes but if they aren't taught what's right or wrong or dealt with they will continue to push the envelope of what's acceptable until we get to disgusting crap like this. Do you know many times people had to look the other way until we got to these disgusting acts? I don't even want to try to think about it because it's absolutely deplorable that these people are in charge with molding our children. I'm sure there are hundreds of parents and older siblings that have done nothing themselves, a program like that doesn't deserve to continue, at least not without penalty. So instead of the adults penalizing the kids before it got newsworthy we know have to penalize the adults but either way lessons need to be learned and that won't be accomplished by doing the same nothing that the admin has already done.

I've talked about this quite a bit with friends who also have HS aged kids and we've all said there is absolutely no way our kid would be back in that environment. They can eliminate the administration until they're Blue in the face but it's a culture of looking the other way that's doomed that school. Besides there is no way they would have gotten rid of everyone that looked the other way at some point.

I'm so blessed to have a man like Gino Nudo leading my boys. He would never stand for this, and I can tell you there's no way they would have suited up, playoffs or not. After talking to some Naz friends I heard stories about Racki kicking kids off the team, sitting them out in games, running them until they puke etc. I guess he benched a LB in the '14 season (perfect season) for putting something slightly offensive on instagram. There is a reason I'm a fan of those two programs, win or lose those men will do it the right way. Sorry I should probably end this rant.

Just stop with this would never happen at my school crap it isn't helpful and it's kind of ironic when talking about Catholic schools.

Just stop with this would never happen at my school crap it isn't helpful and it's kind of ironic when talking about Catholic schools.

I read your first post ITT and as a result I don't give two sh*ts about what you have to say. Funny you try to devalue my thoughts but post that two sides to every story garbage. Don't @ me again, you're a waste of my time.

I ponder why should any kid have to worry about being harassed, hazed, bullied or any other form of
belittling. It is a law that kids must attend school shouldn't the law exist that prevents this non school activity? Think about that. These kids are forced to go to school yet adults/teachers/coaches and even the principals in many cases except this activity. Why? It's like sending a sheep in a cage with a lion! In this case a weak kid into a school with sick monsters and yet adults look the other way. Disgusting.

It's called kids being stupid and they will learn a very hard lesson.

Stupid is being kind. I would use the term criminal.

And so is your insensitive regard to the victims here.

The "boys will be boys" attitude must go away. The individuals involved are just what I called them: Sexual Predators. They deserve an orange jump suit and jail time. Not a blue uniform and freedom to play one of the greatest games around.

Right now, all the punishment for those perpetrators is taking an online hazing class and community service.

Really?

For rape?

And they will all be back playing football next year. Because, from I am hearing, Lake Zurich is NOT shutting their program down for next season. It will be business as usual there..

All is well in Lake Zurich. The "Blue Wall" has seen to that.

I feel sooooooo much better that the criminal element at Lake Zurich will get to play football next season. They will be top-ranked, the stands will be full on Midlothian Road and the community will be joyous as they cheer on their new group of "heroes".

Me? I just want to puke.

I'll be honest here. In the two high schools I went to I don't remember ritual rape being a part of the culture. Maybe it goes on more than we believe, I don't know. But it sure doesn't seem like it.

Stupid is being kind. I would use the term criminal.

And so is your insensitive regard to the victims here.

The "boys will be boys" attitude must go away. The individuals involved are just what I called them: Sexual Predators. They deserve an orange jump suit and jail time. Not a blue uniform and freedom to play one of the greatest games around.

Right now, all the punishment for those perpetrators is taking an online hazing class and community service.

Really?

For rape?

And they will all be back playing football next year. Because, from I am hearing, Lake Zurich is NOT shutting their program down for next season. It will be business as usual there..

All is well in Lake Zurich. The "Blue Wall" has seen to that.

I feel sooooooo much better that the criminal element at Lake Zurich will get to play football next season. They will be top-ranked, the stands will be full on Midlothian Road and the community will be joyous as they cheer on their new group of "heroes".

Me? I just want to puke.
Keep it up Quags, and great bit on the radio.

The problem is deeper than we think. We have a few people on here that think this is trivial. That's sick in its self and making light of this issues just explains where we are as a society. Very sad!
Not sure this is a societal thing, community issue perhaps

Epic
As much as I would love to think this is only a community thing, I am not that naive to think this isn't happening at other schools.
So you think it's really prevalent? A societal issue would mean it's pervasive. I am not going to say it's happening everywhere. Like a mutation IMO, not a plague.

So you think it's really prevalent? A societal issue would mean it's pervasive. I am not going to say it's happening everywhere. Like a mutation IMO, not a plague.

It may not be to the extent of LZ but hazing and bullying is happening at other schools I am sure.
This isn't the first time we heard of this just one of the worst at being kept quiet.

It may not be to the extent of LZ but hazing and bullying is happening at other schools I am sure.
This isn't the first time we heard of this just one of the worst at being kept quiet.

This isn't about simple hazing, and isn't common. The fact that anyone is posting to normalize this is disturbing. This is very, very atypical and should be treated as such.

This isn't about simple hazing, and isn't common. The fact that anyone is posting to normalize this is disturbing. This is very, very atypical and should be treated as such.

If that's directed towards me, you are reading what I have said the wrong way. I am speaking only how mental health people and the court systems will look at this. I have no problems with the kids going to jail, but they won't be punished as sexual predators

If that's directed towards me, you are reading what I have said the wrong way. I am speaking only how mental health people and the court systems will look at this. I have no problems with the kids going to jail, but they won't be punished as sexual predators
It's not, but if it ever applies to you, for shame.

You might be right but time will tell. It is my hope that, if this stuff is proven to be true, they are prosecuted as sexual predators. And if so, I want them to have to register in towns where they live as sexual offenders for the rest of their lives. Because what they have alleged to have done to the victims will stay with those people for the rest of their lives.

Picture this. Suppose one of the victims runs into one of the offenders 10 years from now at the local Wal Mart. Even if they don't speak to each other and just see each other what do you think will be the very first thing that comes to the victim's mind? I don't give a damn about the offenders if this is true. This could end up doing some tremendous psychological damage to the victims. Maybe not right away, but possibly later whenever they recall this.

The offenders may go to jail, but the victims will forever have this incident imprisoned in their minds. So sickening.

Reactions: flyerforlife
Very well said Dr.
These victims will never forget this and more importantly probably will never been the same. Just
think about this, in earlier posts people remembered things like getting cold water dumped on them, carrying gym equipment for the Seniors etc. Imagine they remember this supposedly silly stuff what do you think these kids are going to remember. Sick man just sick. Lock them up. It's hard to give 2nd chances, even to kids when it goes to this level of sickness.

Reactions: Dr. Mirakle
Easily the hardest post ever to not use foul language when replying. I mean words can't explain how messed up this is. Even more messed up is how everyone is not on the same page!

Reactions: epicbret
You might be right but time will tell. It is my hope that, if this stuff is proven to be true, they are prosecuted as sexual predators. And if so, I want them to have to register in towns where they live as sexual offenders for the rest of their lives. Because what they have alleged to have done to the victims will stay with those people for the rest of their lives.

Picture this. Suppose one of the victims runs into one of the offenders 10 years from now at the local Wal Mart. Even if they don't speak to each other and just see each other what do you think will be the very first thing that comes to the victim's mind? I don't give a damn about the offenders if this is true. This could end up doing some tremendous psychological damage to the victims. Maybe not right away, but possibly later whenever they recall this.

The offenders may go to jail, but the victims will forever have this incident imprisoned in their minds. So sickening.

Why is it that you want to prosecute these sexual predators, but not others? For months, you gave us the impression that being a pervert is a highly respectable trait.

Don't be a hypocrite. Time's running out.

Easily the hardest post ever to not use foul language when replying. I mean words can't explain how messed up this is. Even more messed up is how everyone is not on the same page!
I find this sums up my feeling often ITT

giphy.gif

Reactions: Dr. Mirakle
I agree MS. I think it was Corey who said it shows you where we are as a society. Not very long ago there were things that outraged us as a society and those things now barely cause us to blink. I could tell you why I think this is but I think we all know...well some of us anyway.

Many valid points all around, and hard to find new terms to describe how sickening this all is.

One issue I keep coming back to is the reports of parents either not cooperating or denying any involvement of their sons.

I can't figure out, is this parents questioning their sons (these being those accused of the monstrous misconduct), and accepting the denials completely? Or, when presented with their kids' misdeeds, lawyering up in the hopes that they can cover for them? While I can't grasp the actual events that occurred, I keep coming back to the parents (and yes, the coaches, administrators and other adults) and the complete abdication of responsibility.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT