ADVERTISEMENT

Test Day

As someone who is not familiar with “test day” can you please shed some light.

Is there one test that is accepted by all catholic league schools?

Do you have to test at every school you are considering?

Does every school have different standards?

Do you get more aid if you test higher? Get into higher level courses?

Thanks

Reactions: MC2023
As someone who is not familiar with “test day” can you please shed some light.

Is there one test that is accepted by all catholic league schools?

Do you have to test at every school you are considering?

Does every school have different standards?

Do you get more aid if you test higher? Get into higher level courses?

Thanks
1. Generally yes, they pretty much issue the same test. However they’re not required to do so. It’s the schools prerogative to change the test.

2. No. You can only test at 1 Catholic School, reason why they’re all on the same day. However a child can test at a public (magnet) and a Catholic.

3. Generally same standards. Some have higher.

4. Yes. Higher tests result in higher classes i.e honors. They place you where you test unless a kid is willing to do summer school to move up. And yes, higher test scores result in better chance for aid.

Reactions: Gene K.
It's a placement test for 8th graders not junior and senior high school students taking college entrance tests.
It will place you in honors, 2nd honors, or general college prep. Most of the publics, especially the CPS, were closed for these young men's entire 7th grade. Some may have to go to summer school to catch up.

Reactions: minkusman7
Most if not all schools have a make up test day usually the Saturday after the test day for kids who could not test on test day or for others who may want to leave their options open for another choice of school. I do know that some schools say that if they do not test at their school they will not be accepted.

Most if not all schools have a make up test day usually the Saturday after the test day for kids who could not test on test day or for others who may want to leave their options open for another choice of school. I do know that some schools say that if they do not test at their school they will not be accepted.
If can pay the tuition up front they will may an exception...

Reactions: mullin17
So, if you test at MC today, that’s the only catholic school you can go to?

So, if you test at MC today, that’s the only catholic school you can go to?
Sort of. No one can contact you from another school. But if the test-taker family contacts any other admissions office they might be able to take a placement exam. But remember, registration is mid or third week of January for these incoming freshmen at these schools and the schools need to prepare a budget and resources for an upcoming school year, so it tries to resolve everything earlier rather than later.
I’m sure there are plenty of one off stories over the years but 99ish% of the students taking the test (if they end up enrolling at all) will enroll at the school they test at this week or next week’s make up date.

Covid throwing the schools a bit of a curve ball as some schools seeing double digit numbers of no shows.

Sort of. No one can contact you from another school. But if the test-taker family contacts any other admissions office they might be able to take a placement exam. But remember, registration is mid or third week of January for these incoming freshmen at these schools and the schools need to prepare a budget and resources for an upcoming school year, so it tries to resolve everything earlier rather than later.
I’m sure there are plenty of one off stories over the years but 99ish% of the students taking the test (if they end up enrolling at all) will enroll at the school they test at this week or next week’s make up date.

Not completely true. I'd say its closer to -95%, but it is generally true.

Other schools won't have access to your score, that said you can share it and shop your score. Also some schools will use grades, standardized tests (NWEA) to handle placement. Kids who test 95%+ percent on NWEA will have some schools competing over them regardless of where they test.

Reality is that most schools are struggling for enrollment and won't turn anyone down. I know of multiple families who applied to several schools in search of the best financial aid package or placement within the honors track. .

Reactions: RockSoup
MC gotta be 8A next year. This is the 10th straight year you’ve allegedly had more kids test than us!😂
It’s never allegedly it’s fact, now how many will attend is the question. MC gets a lot of Indiana kids that have good public schools like Munster, Crown Point and Lake Central that test their as an option, they will make up their minds as it gets closer

BR 178? Some conflicting numbers here. Others saying 200. Larry with 205?
The numbers I got were the same as Cmon now. So I don’t know about St. Laurence. Year over year Marist down 11, MC down 13, BR down 12, SR up 3. So no real anomalies there. I mean SR had two real down years so a negligible bump up can be understood. DLS no big gain or drop but didn’t get a boy/girl breakdown. St. Laurence up 33 boys? Hats off to them. I didn’t hear no major groundswell going into today but that doesn’t mean anything either. Gfather just said Naz had a good number so maybe a shift west of the number of families that have the ability to choose private?

Disclaimer: I’m not the Diocese.

The numbers I got were the same as Cmon now. So I don’t know about St. Laurence. Year over year Marist down 11, MC down 13, BR down 12, SR up 3. So no real anomalies there. I mean SR had two real down years so a negligible bump up can be understood. DLS no big gain or drop but didn’t get a boy/girl breakdown. St. Laurence up 33 boys? Hats off to them. I didn’t hear no major groundswell going into today but that doesn’t mean anything either. Gfather just said Naz had a good number so maybe a shift west of the number of families that have the ability to choose private?

I know Rita is classified for 7A next season. After next season, I wonder if they'll be closer to a 6A classification.

Is this plausible? Or is Rita entrenched in 7A? Anyone close to the Rita enrollment situation know?

I am basing this off Cascia being multiplied and Success factor kicking in.

I know Rita is classified for 7A next season. After next season, I wonder if they'll be closer to a 6A classification.

Is this plausible? Or is Rita entrenched in 7A?

I am basing this off Cascia being multiplied and Success factor kicking in.
Don’t know.

It’s never allegedly it’s fact, now how many will attend is the question. MC gets a lot of Indiana kids that have good public schools like Munster, Crown Point and Lake Central that test their as an option, they will make up their minds as it gets closer
So this is the theory we are gonna go with? Every year dozens of kids from Indiana come to Illinois to take a test at a school they have no intention of going to. Can we get a breakdown on this. Any kind of stat to prove it?

So this is the theory we are gonna go with? Every year dozens of kids from Indiana come to Illinois to take a test at a school they have no intention of going to. Can we get a breakdown on this. Any kind of stat to prove it?
The same thing happens at Rice when a potential student from Westchester, Downers, or Hinsdale takes the test and chooses to attend their public school instead.

Relatively common

I've also heard that Rice is testing in the 200s.

All of the figures are very similar to previous years. In August, we'll see who shows up.

I'm looking forward to the coach Q era.

Yeah I’ll get a spread sheet sent right over to ya! Ya Knucklehead! Very common knowledge. You get worked up about this often. Not a big deal. 99% of MC student body commutes from over 5 to 30 miles. Many test there then choose closer options. Many of BR students can walk, or have 1 to 3 miles commute. You retain more then we do. Congrats!

These were the numbers reported to the arch by each school today.

Not completely true. I'd say its closer to -95%, but it is generally true.

Other schools won't have access to your score, that said you can share it and shop your score. Also some schools will use grades, standardized tests (NWEA) to handle placement. Kids who test 95%+ percent on NWEA will have some schools competing over them regardless of where they test.

Reality is that most schools are struggling for enrollment and won't turn anyone down. I know of multiple families who applied to several schools in search of the best financial aid package or placement within the honors track. .
Most of these schools tell families if your child does not test at our school the chance of getting “aid” or some form of a scholarship drops to almost zero. All of them do that to get the kids at the school. I’m sure there are exceptions. Not sure how a family “shops their child’s score around” to get the best aid package or honors classes. You’re not allowed to take the score and shop it around. Meaning you can’t apply to 5 schools after the test.

Have you ever been east of western? Or know the geographic location of northwest Indiana to Mt. Carmel? It takes kids from Indiana less time to travel to MC than Beverly/MG/oak lawn kids etc. MC has been getting lots of students from NW Indiana and beyond for eons. Father Dillon saved the school in the 70’s when he lobbied to have the IC train stop directly behind the school. Most of the schools lose kids after test days if families don’t end up qualifying for the aid packages they were hoping for amongst other reasons.

How funny BR originally reported 204 (1 more than MC) only to drop it to 178! Hilarious.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT