ADVERTISEMENT

Statement from Frank Lenti

Has a coach EVER gone from private to public and had at least equal success???
i propose Mike O'Neil (St. Laurence to Andrew). During 8 seasons at the former: 5 CCL titles, 1 Prep Bowl championship and 1 Class 5A runner-up finish. In 20 years at the latter: 12 conference championships, 2 undefeated regular seasons and 2 semi-final appearances.

Has a coach EVER gone from private to public and had at least equal success???

Rick Reinhart went 6-4 in the 2007 season at Alton Marquette. From there, he went to Tuscola where he went 8-4, 11-3, 12-2, and 11-3 in his first four years, a period in which his teams made three appearances in the finals, and winning the title once.

Bob Naughton left Loyola after the 1966 season after going 8-1-1 (7-1-2 and 10-1-2 in the previous two years). He had two undefeated seasons in his first three years at New Trier West.

Tom Powers' final season of coaching Loyola was in 1975 when he went 10-2 and had a semifinal appearance in 5A (the then largest class). In '74, his Loyola squad finished at 2-6. As the head coach at Evanston starting in 1980, he compiled regular season records of 7-2, 7-2 and then four straight years of 8-1. In his first three years as HC of the Wildkits, his teams failed to make the playoffs because the IHSA didn't allow as many teams to qualify back then like they do now. He won two CSL South conference titles and made it to the IHSA playoff quarters three years.

Wouldn't matter. If he were to experience success, guys like you would be quick to discount it by saying that he attracted new talent to the school.
I wouldn't really have to worry about it because it would never happen. Guys promised that Evanston was going to be turned into a power. Welp. Lenti would NEVER go to a public school with little success to speak of. We both know that. I don't necessarily blame him, but I am sure we can both figure out why without much thought.

You really think I wouldn't give coach Lenti credit for turning Joliet Central into a power? I'll say it now, if Coach Lenti were to turn Joliet Central into a perennial playoff qualifier that would make him the best. Or Morton. Or Romeoville. Or Proviso East. etc

You make an intriguing point. I doubt anyone here believes coaching or talent alone wins championships. You must have both. Anyone who thinks differently is kidding themselves. I have seen some talented teams not win squat. I have also seen coaches, who I think are good ones, have trouble because of lack of talent.

Not sure if you were around here for the great "get better coaching and work ethic" discussions. There was definitely a contingent that argued it was all coaching. The song isn't being sung as loudly these days, but every now and then you can still hear the chorus echoing through the halls.

Reactions: doctor_d
I wouldn't really have to worry about it because it would never happen. Guys promised that Evanston was going to be turned into a power. Welp. Lenti would NEVER go to a public school with little success to speak of. We both know that. I don't necessarily blame him, but I am sure we can both figure out why without much thought.

You really think I wouldn't give coach Lenti credit for turning Joliet Central into a power? I'll say it now, if Coach Lenti were to turn Joliet Central into a perennial playoff qualifier that would make him the best. Or Morton. Or Romeoville. Or Proviso East. etc

Not sure if you were around here for the great "get better coaching and work ethic" discussions. There was definitely a contingent that argued it was all coaching. The song isn't being sung as loudly these days, but every now and then you can still hear the chorus echoing through the halls.
C'mon Frank, take one of these teams over! Could be a real life East Dillon Lions situation!

I don't remember seeing it. But if Lenti, or anyone else, took over the programs you suggested in another post, it wouldn't make much of a difference. The best coaches, in my eyes, are the guys who have fairly average talent each year but still find a way to be in the mix at the end. I feel like more guys can win if they have the talent than can win with average talent. So, I think the argument falls more on the talent side. But you do need both to create what has been created at MC...no question.

I am sorry...but to say it is coaching alone, is not being objective or realistic.

Reactions: Cross Bones
The real question is where does lenti coach next year. Know lots of schools and some d2/d3 colleges who would love to have him.
I think that Downers Grove North would be the best place. They already run an option offense so installing the Lent's Houston Veer Offense would be reasonably easy because of the similarities. DGN has a big budget and a coaching staff schooled in option football. Also, they have personnel comparable or maybe better than Mount Carmel. DGN won the 8A championship in 2004 and in 2013 they lost to Mount Carmel in the 7A semi-finals by only 7-0 ; the next week, MC won the state title game 33-0 over Lake Zurich. Lenti could build a winner at DGN very quickly ----like this year.

Can anyone comment on the question i posed two weeks ago -- will Lenti be allowed to address his team when school gets back in session?

Can anyone comment on the question i posed two weeks ago -- will Lenti be allowed to address his team when school gets back in session?

I would find it highly unusual considering the circumstances for his removal.

Here's an idea...Lenti goes to Champaign and becomes lead recruiter for Lovie & the Illini...Instant connection with the big programs in state...

Reactions: Coachherbk
They go back tomorrow. He is still employed by the school, he still has a job there, I'm sure he can address anyone he wants

This mite sound a bit corny but,Leo has a perfect practice field for the veer option,and good students,bring Leo back to the golden team on 79th street. My cousin lives rite across the street. Good luck mr. Lenti ,your teams always were tough to play against.

Reactions: Bowie50
Out with the old in with the new.
Be careful with what you wish for. Frank was a brilliant coach and will be hard to replace over the long haul,

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT