ADVERTISEMENT

State Finals Picks

belviderebucs11

Jul 13, 2013
11-5 last week I will take that. The season is almost over. I am really interested this week in the 4A and 5A championship games. Should be a great weekend of football. I am not even going to explain why I am picking the teams I am this week. It's hard to say who will win especially this late in the season. There shouldn't be any blowouts this late in the season either but Geneseo proved that theory wrong Saturday. Byron couldn't keep the Cinderella story going. Even though they played CPS schools rounds 1 and 2 with them beating Sterling Newman I would have thought they would have gave Wilmington a fight. Enough with last week here are my state finals picks.....

1A
Forreston over Carrollton 28-21

2A
EPC over Maroa Forsyth 14-0

3A
Wilmington over Williamsville 35-34

4A
Rochester over Phillips 24-21

5A
SHG over Montini 28-24

6A
NAZ over Lemont 38-28

7A
Cary Grove over Providence Catholic 21-17

8A
Stevenson over Homewood Flossmoor 14-7

Being from mchenry county I am
obviously cheering for the trojans this weekend, but I'm a little worried about
this game I think that when looking at it I am definitely leaning towards
picking PC to take the 7a title I feel like CG is going to have some trouble
trying to cover boykin and vejvoda I' not sure if they have seen a passing attack like this in awhile. I see Providence winning but I would love to see Trevor Ruhland Mike Gomez and the rest of the CG gang to win. Curious to hear how other feel about it.

I think CG-PC is going to be the best game, and will be dependent on Boykin. Can CG keep close tabs? I see a 3-7 point game here.

Naz and SHG will have running clocks, ensuring a 4 p.m. start for CG-PC.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

There always seems to be one major upset in the 5-8A games. 7-8A are pretty even so that would leave the 5A or 6A game.

I don't know much about classes 1A - 3A, but is Maroa Forsythe it the championship game every year?

4A - Phillips will outscore Rochester

5A- SHG is just too good.

6A- Naz no contest

7A- Game of the weekend IMO. What was more impressive, PC win over MC, or CG steamrolling of L'ville? CG close.

8A-Stevenson finally gets their championship.

4A Phillips over Rochester

5A Montini by 3

6A Naz by 21

7A Cary by 6

8A Stevenson by 10

4A - I think Phillips finally gets one for the CPL

5A - I think its closer than last year but SHG gets it done.

6A - Nazareth wins, will they ever be challenged? Don't think so here.

7A - Cary Grove wins. Big physical offensive line and have been there recently. Close but Trojans get title #2

8A - Stevenson's time. Pats by 10.

In regard to the 7a game:

1) how is Providence's defense, in particular their DL/LB? CG with Pennington & Gregoire running behind that line is near impossible to stop. However, they are one dimensional. CG threw three passes against Geneva: one was intercepted and the other two looked really, really bad (both incomplete). Can Providence withstand the beating CG's OL will administer and force them to pass?

2) how will CG's db's stand up to Providence's Wr's? CG does a good job pressuring the QB but their DBs are not big. Geneva's #1 receiver got hurt and didn't play the last three quarters yet CG still had difficulty containing their #2 (6'6") option. Michael Landi is very good but he ain't no Miles Boykin.

3) I'll be cheering for Cary Grove but, as some have posted, I expect this to be the premier matchup of the weekend.

8A Hoping Stevie doesn't $#!+ the bed.

7A I want CG but I think the PC defense will bring them the title home.

6A Former PSLer gotta go with Naz.

5A SHG by 21.

4A As a life long Chicagoan I'm pulling for Phillips

All4theIllini -- not sure where you got your stats but against Geneva CG's QB threw three passes, two of which were complete. You are right they are run-first, but don't sleep on their ability to pass the ball as they can when they want or need to. You are right that their secondary is small and Boykin is unlike anyone they've seen this year, but they are fast and athletic. Landi did have five catches against them, but Geneva's NIU-bound QB was also picked four times. Hopefully CG is looking at the Loyola game tape and learning. They need to control the ball and keep Boykin off of the field as much as possible, no doubt.

This post was edited on 11/25 10:37 AM by CGsupporter

Originally posted by CGsupporter:
All4theIllini -- not sure where you got your stats but against Geneva CG's QB threw three passes, two of which were complete and one of which went for a TD (21-yd pass to Hanselmann). You are right they are run-first, but don't sleep on their ability to pass the ball as they can when they want or need to. You are right that their secondary is small and Boykin is unlike anyone they've seen this year, but they are fast and athletic. Landi did have five catches against them, but Geneva's NIU-bound QB was also picked four times. Hopefully CG is looking at the Loyola game tape and learning. They need to control the ball and keep Boykin off of the field as much as possible, no doubt.
Instead of answering my two, seemingly simple, questions, you've chosen to take great umbrage where none was intended.

Given you've questioned my stats, I chose to consult my sheet.

CG's scoring went as such against Geneva:

Quarter 1:
Pennington: 3 td rushes (1, 2 & 1 yards @ 8:56, 6:49 & 1:13)

Quarter 3:
Sutherland: 1 td rushing (14 yards@ 8:19)
Gregoire: 1 td rushing (9 yds@ 1:03)

Quarter 4:
Gregoire: 2 tds rushing (4 & 17 yards @ 3:13 & 2:40)

7 rushing TDs total: 42 points / 2 kicked extra points and the rest misses or 2 point failures. Final: Cary Grove 44 Geneva 26

Gregoire: 0/3 passing. Two incomplete and one interception by Chris Barger returned 15 yards.

Michael Landi: 5 catches for 89 yards

Like I said, Geneva's #1 WR was injured in the first quarter making them a one-dimensional passing team the last three quarters. Like I also inferred, an injured WR was not going to make a difference stoping CG's rushing attack not sure what else you want me to say.

NOW, CAN SOMEONE ANSWER THE TWO QUESTIONS I POSTED?!? Geez, it can't be that difficult.

Patience, I'll answer both your questions Sunday!
smile.r191677.gif

Whoa All4, easy there, fella. I was at the game and Hanselmann had two catches from Gregoire for 21 yards. Check out the article and stats in the NW Herald. Doesn't really matter, however; the point being if you've watched them all year, they can pull out a pass when you least expect it and be successful doing it. Gregoire is the best passing QB they've had and they have a speedster in Hanselmann who can catch bubbles and make you miss or go for the long ball.

Kind of thought I answered your second question, by the way. Only thing I left out on CG's dbacks is they are very opportunistic and have a boatload of picks this year, but again, they have not played against the likes of a Boykin this year. D line will need to get some pressure on QB and that in the past has caused some of the hurry throws and picks.

This post was edited on 11/25 11:23 AM by CGsupporter

This post was edited on 11/25 11:28 AM by CGsupporter

Whoa All4, easy there, fella. I was at the game and Hanselmann had two catches from Gregoire for 21 yards. Check out the article and stats in the NW Herald. Doesn't really matter, however; the point being if you've watched them all year, they can pull out a pass when you least expect it and be successful doing it. Gregoire is the best passing QB they've had and they have a speedster in Hanselmann who can catch bubbles and make you miss or go for the long ball.

Kind of thought I answered your second question, by the way. Only thing I left out on CG's dbacks is they are very opportunistic and have a boatload of picks this year, but again, they have not played against the likes of a Boykin this year. D line will need to get some pressure on QB and that in the past has caused some of the hurry throws and picks.

This post was edited on 11/25 11:23 AM by CGsupporter

This post was edited on 11/25 11:28 AM by CGsupporter
Here is the link you referenced from the NW Herald which jives with my sheet. Not sure where they got two completions since there was definitely a swing pass that was incomplete. The CG may have had two catches (not sure where they came up with that but....).

Why would I ask rhetorical questions?!? I haven't seen Providence play all year and was looking for some insight, that's all.

NW Herald

Go to the third page of that article and you will see. Again, no biggie as it really doesn't matter.

Interested in PC fans' comments on their defense as well. What concerns me is they see the option a couple of times a year and are thus prepared for it better than other teams CG has played.

Go to the third page of that article and you will see. Again, no biggie as it really doesn't matter.

Interested in PC fans' comments on their defense as well. What concerns me is they see the option a couple of times a year and are thus prepared for it better than other teams CG has played.
I did go to the third page and still have not found a CG a TD pass.

Gregoire had. 29 yd td pass in the win over Libertyville. I believe he had one or two incompletions and was either 3-4 or 3-5 passing. Why pass when your averaging 5-6 yards a carry. Pennington was the workhorse but the other two backs are very good.

They don't run behind Gomez and the nd kid every time. Their center Topole - I think I spelled it right, is an impressive kid too.

Having seen a lot of CG in the past, I think this is their best team. More speed, more size and certainly more physical.

Agreed with Dos this is the marquee game of the weekend.

All4 -- you said he was 0 for 3 with two incomplete passes and a pick. He was 2 for 3, no TD pass. See third page.

5A yep I am going with Montini mostly because everyone else seems to be picking SHG

6A NAZ easily. May be biggest blowout.

7A PC, I did say whoever won the PC, MC game was going all the way and I'll stick with that.

8A H-F heaven help us!

4A - Phillips
5A - SHG
6A - Meep Meep Mfer
7A - CG (my feeto's friday upset)
8A - H-F (I dont like them)

Originally posted by Cross Bones:
4A - Phillips
5A - SHG
6A - Meep Meep Mfer
7A - CG (my feeto's friday upset)
8A - H-F (I dont like them)
I'd be thrilled for this. I have fallen in love with this Philli story. A movie waiting to be.

My maternal grandparents are grads of SH and G

This post was edited on 11/28 7:05 PM by epicbret

MCHS is going to party like 2009 36 -35

Naz

Providence going to survive unlike 2009

Stevenson gets their championship

Throwback Thursday:

Celebrating @belviderebucs11 going 7 of 8 in his state championship picks.

2014-15 1A Forreston 13-1 Denny Diduch Carrollton 13-1 Nick Flowers 20-15
2A Pearl City 14-0 Randy Asche - EPC Coop Maroa (M.-Forsyth) 10-4 Josh Jostes 41-12
3A Wilmington 14-0 Jeff Reents Williamsville 13-1 Aaron Kunz 20-17
4A Rochester 12-2 Derek Leonard Chicago (Phillips) 12-2 Troy McAllister 49-28
5A Springfield (Sacred Heart-Griffin) 14-0 Ken Leonard Lombard (Montini) 10-4 Chris Andriano 29-14
6A LaGrange Park (Nazareth Academy) 14-0 Tim Racki Lemont (H.S.) 13-1 26-7
7A New Lenox (Providence Catholic) 13-1 Mark Coglianese Cary (C.-Grove) 13-1 31-28
8A Lincolnshire (Stevenson) 14-0 Bill McNamara Flossmoor (Homewood-F.) 11-3 Craig Buzea 31-25

Oof, old wounds resurfacing. I was crushed with CG’s loss that year. Such a damn good team.

Reactions: ignazio
Warem Township. They havr key returning starters and young talent ready to step plus a few transfers. The defense will be top tier again.

Reactions: Bowie50
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT