ADVERTISEMENT

starting lineup of your all-time favorite players for your school

He was solid but probably not an all timer. He had a good collegiate career too. I think Keenan Haley is close to that list.
Yea I love how krisch played but that 2007 backfield had three guys who were all pretty even. And hudetz was only a junior and got to be the feature back the following year. So he likely gets the overall ranking above krisch.

so krisch never had a year as the “feature” back which keeps him from the all time top 10 even though his skill set may have been there for sure.

For Providence Catholic Celtics

QB: Robert Cruz (HM Justin Hunniford)

RB/WR: Louie Medina, Joey Schley, Justin Ruggio, Timmy Hanrahan, David Popp (HM Miles Boykin, Mike Maher)

FB: Kyle Stalter (HM Kevin Rigsby)

OL: Dan Ketelaar, Colin Johnson, Jason Kalina, Patrick Ward, Brian Lydickesen (HM Jake Renfro, Dan Maly)

TE: Tom Riordan (HM Matt Schultz)

DL/LB: Matt Uremovich, Chris Janik, Nicky Passolano, Steve Laski, Neal Dahlman, Eric Steinbach, Phil Netznik (HM Vince Ambrose, Billy Grogan)

DB: Quinn Walsh, Pat Rush, Peter Houlihan, Mike Madej (HM Troy Sheppard, Scott Janik)

Spec: Billy Schuld, Gannon Novak (HM Bobby Kelsey)
Miles Boykin of the Steelers is not a HM. Has to be top of the list. He was the Megatron of the CCL.

Was Tony Furjanic (LB) mentioned by MC guys? Erik Pappas, Frank Cornish, Rod Harris and Chris Calloway (WRs) were pretty damn good too.

Rita has to include Billy Marek and the Weisenhoffer brothers

Rice would include (but not all)
Joe Clifford/Lausch/Pazan/Nicholson/Barounes at QB,
Don Cranley/Larry Korpitz/Mike ONeill/Joe Schissler/Ed Bryan/Martez Walker/Xavian Valladay at RB
Dwyer/Smalling/Summers/Lyons at WR
Jim Meyer/Mark Donahue/Lou Prato/Bob Dombrowski/Paul Hutchins/Andy Gallik OLs
Don Shouse all round DB/WR

Reactions: RockSoup
For Providence Catholic Celtics

QB: Robert Cruz (HM Justin Hunniford)

RB/WR: Louie Medina, Joey Schley, Justin Ruggio, Timmy Hanrahan, David Popp (HM Miles Boykin, Mike Maher)

FB: Kyle Stalter (HM Kevin Rigsby)

OL: Dan Ketelaar, Colin Johnson, Jason Kalina, Patrick Ward, Brian Lydickesen (HM Jake Renfro, Dan Maly)

TE: Tom Riordan (HM Matt Schultz)

DL/LB: Matt Uremovich, Chris Janik, Nicky Passolano, Steve Laski, Neal Dahlman, Eric Steinbach, Phil Netznik (HM Vince Ambrose, Billy Grogan)

DB: Quinn Walsh, Pat Rush, Peter Houlihan, Mike Madej (HM Troy Sheppard, Scott Janik)

Spec: Billy Schuld, Gannon Novak (HM Bobby Kelsey)
How does kevin Rigsby get mentioned and he was benched in the playoffs for the starting sophomore FB? I believe the same kid started over Rigs as a junior.
Rich Murphy would have to get HM honors here or the FB from the 2001 team.

Maher, Medina, RUGGIO, Popp and Eddie Olzsta.
TE Tom riordan and Shultz
OL- maly was a 1 year starter
Kyle and Colin Johnson, and how is Rob Stazak not mentioned?
Oh it’s Nicki Passolano not Nicky.
lB’s- so. Many good ones, Marino brothers, Matt Uremovich, janik, Flynn, Knowles.

crazy trying to pick this and it doesn’t include anyone from the 91 or 87 team!

Cruz is hands down the easiest pick. People used to like to say Hinniflrd was at the same level. No way. Cruz had bowling balls in his girdle. The 2nd best qb of all time @ PC prob never played the position but could have. Eddie olzsta.

I have to say 2 OL are missing from Rita and Rice, maybe I missed it but did not see Dennis Lick's name mentioned nor David Diehl. They have to be on their respective team's list.

I have to say 2 OL are missing from Rita and Rice, maybe I missed it but did not see Dennis Lick's name mentioned nor David Diehl. They have to be on their respective team's list.
I can’t speak about Lick because he was before my time. I can speak about Diehl because I saw him play in HS , college and NFL. I saw him play one HS game against my beloved. So it’s not exactly a huge sample size. The game I watched him play he did not impress me at all. He had all the tools, size, good feet for a big man but really not aggressive or even close to being dominating.

I knew he was a D1 guy cuz of his measurables and honestly don’t remember him being a standout at Illinois til his senior year. I saw him play a few times at Illinois and saw that he had become a much better lineman I have to say that I was surprised he was a 1st round pick of the Giants. Goes to show you that I know very little about football.

Long story short, sometimes guys that become great players, professional players don’t necessarily start off as great players. I’ve seen 5-10 175 pound linemen beat DD in HS. None of those guys ever cashed an NFL check or played in college. The BR people that saw him play more would be better judges than me.

Reactions: missameyer
I can’t speak about Lick because he was before my time. I can speak about Diehl because I saw him play in HS , college and NFL. I saw him play one HS game against my beloved. So it’s not exactly a huge sample size. The game I watched him play he did not impress me at all. He had all the tools, size, good feet for a big man but really not aggressive or even close to being dominating.

I knew he was a D1 guy cuz of his measurables and honestly don’t remember him being a standout at Illinois til his senior year. I saw him play a few times at Illinois and saw that he had become a much better lineman I have to say that I was surprised he was a 1st round pick of the Giants. Goes to show you that I know very little about football.

Long story short, sometimes guys that become great players, professional players don’t necessarily start off as great players. I’ve seen 5-10 175 pound linemen beat DD in HS. None of those guys ever cashed an NFL check or played in college. The BR people that saw him play more would be better judges than me.
eirog:

You may be right. I have been attending Rice games since 1983 when I was first enrolled so a long time and a lot of football watched. I thought Diehl was often one of the more dominant linemen out there his Junior and definitely his Senior season. My opinion can be skewed as to your point he was being touted as a D1 player due to measurables and Rice did not have many if any D1 type linemen during my time and after until Diehl in the mid-late '90's. It has been 25 years since he played and sometimes opinions can be skewed due to time and what was accomplished after his time at Rice.

On the flip side, Diehl did not play on any dominant teams during his time at Rice from recollection. I believe his Sophmore and Junior years were losing seasons and his Senior year team barely made the Playoffs and were bounced in the first round. Sometimes as history goes on we remember a little differently or make more out of decent players that played on good / dominant teams and forget the efforts of some that played on lesser teams, I think that's human nature. I don't know or think Diehl made All State but I am pretty sure he received some post season accolades / awards like All Area / CCL etc. I'll stand by my inclusion of him.

Lastly as for Lick, he was before my time as well (early '70's) but my older Rita buds tell me he was dominant and paved the way for many Billy Marek long gains. Like Diehl, he was a 1st Round pick out of Wisconsin (by the Bears).

Mount Carmel

QB Tony Carey 61
HM Rob Rugai 87, John Welsh 96

RB Bobby Sanders 90, jovan Harbon 95, Nairobi Allen 88 Demar White 86, Kenenna Odeluga 2020

FB Mark Bornholdt

TE Mark Norville 88

WR Alec Thomas 2018, Nate turner 86, Tom Leyden 94, Billy Phelan 92

OL Steve Edwards Mark Antonetti, Jalen Grant 2020, Bo O’Rourke 93

DL Bud Ruel 61, Brendan Gill 95, Simion Rice 92, Billy Nolan 86

LB Jerry Schumacher, Gary Casper 87, Tony Furjanic

DB Marty O’Brian 2020, Tony Mazurkawicz 92, Terry Ward 86
No Chris Calloway?

Dave was a 5th round pick out of uofi
Senior year team went 5-4, missed the playoffs. Had to get 6 wins back then to make the playoffs
That team should of been at least 7-2, injuries and just under performed

Jack winters was all state that year
Was a complete stud

Reactions: eireog
Senior year team went 5-4, missed the playoffs. Had to get 6 wins back then to make the playoffs

Was a complete stud
You are right he was a fifth round. Not sure why I thought he was a first rounder.

How many other posters are hoping to see their name pop up in this thread?:cool:
Many family members from different schools on this list. Probably the closest sniff I'll get to making it or unless some stud out there shares our namesake.

Was a complete stud
Believe they beat MC that year 10-0? Diehl's dad was a BR legend and kept that field in pristine condition. Sadly he passed away before he watched Dave take a NFL snap.

Believe they beat MC that year 10-0? Diehl's dad was a BR legend and kept that field in pristine condition. Sadly he passed away before he watched Dave take a NFL snap.
Absolute legend. The field was like a pillow
21-3 first win over MC in 20 yrs or so

Other Rice all-timers would also include Bill Harmon, Dick Yanz, Bob Demes, Lamar Summers, Gerry Szara, Tony Michelek, Tom Mitchell Jr, Paul Carberry, Mike Stritch and Joe Carroll

For Joliet Catholic.....

my frame of reference is mostly late 80s to today with some absences in the mid 90s.

QB....Sopko (Bourg and Ruettiger)
RB/forget the WR...Zwierzynski, Ivlow, Isaac, Randle, Benson (Ferguson, McKeon)
FB...Alstott (Iannantone)
OL...Furcron, Maloney, Fonck, Jadron, Butler (Witt, Krumviede)
TE...Kolodziej (Sheppard)
DL/LB...Goolsby, Jeske, McShane, Clancy, Greenback, Koren, Stockman (Aguirre, Krisch)
DB....Buchanan, Jaworski, Weis, Meyer (Rotnicki, M Jones, and bonus Jabril Williams)
ST....Bravo (Tomasino, Van Tassell)

Special teams honorable mentions simply to get a state champ RB and 2x state champ QB some props on the team because they were also place kickers . VT also had a huge winning kick against MC in 99.

also threw malin Jones in with DBs to get him some love. The 07 center Fonck gets the nod at OL solely because of his work in the title game handling Lemonts Pocic. Went with athletic qbs because why not.
Great picks!! two differences for me. QB in my mind by far was Pesavento. I have thought long and hard even before this post about RB. I truly believe Anderson was even better than J.R. Benson would be #2 for me and then J.R. For people who also remember the 70's, Mike Piazza was probably the best linebacker of all time for us. You nailed FB, OL,TE,and DB. There was 1 receiver whose name I can't catch up to in my brain but I believe ?? he may have been drafted by the NFL.
Great job JC!!

Great picks!! two differences for me. QB in my mind by far was Pesavento. I have thought long and hard even before this post about RB. I truly believe Anderson was even better than J.R. Benson would be #2 for me and then J.R. For people who also remember the 70's, Mike Piazza was probably the best linebacker of all time for us. You nailed FB, OL,TE,and DB. There was 1 receiver whose name I can't catch up to in my brain but I believe ?? he may have been drafted by the NFL.
Great job JC!!
Wouldn't Tom Thayer be a lock (if not already mentioned)

Reactions: King MJ
Great job JC!!
I would add Lausch to the linebackers. Best defensive player on the 87 state championship team, went on to become captain at Harvard. Great leader. I have a tough time putting any RB's above JR. He was as dominant high school running back as I have seen. Agree on Pes, but Gromos was really good as well, I think both are better than the QB's that JC mentioned, but I think they were a little before his time.

I would add Lausch to the linebackers. Best defensive player on the 87 state championship team, went on to become captain at Harvard. Great leader. I have a tough time putting any RB's above JR. He was as dominant high school running back as I have seen. Agree on Pes, but Gromos was really good as well, I think both are better than the QB's that JC mentioned, but I think they were a little before his time.
I was at the 2000 quarterfinal game between JC and SHG. Only time I saw JR play in person, and I believed then he was a future NFL player. Big and fast. I know he went to Penn St and moved to LB but then didn’t here much more about him.

I have a tough time putting any RB's above JR. He was as dominant high school running back as I have seen.
I’m not a JC guy, but I did see JR and Ty play. Ty has to be #1 with a bullet. The kid could not be stopped…

Reactions: USD24
East St. Louis Flyers (Players I Saw Play)
Offense
QB Tyler Macon ‘19
RB Chris Moore ‘91
RB Marvin Lampkin ‘87
WR Homer Bush ‘90
WR Luther Burden III ‘21
WR Terry Hawthorne ‘08
TE Dennis Stallings ‘91
OL Trevour Simms ‘15
OL Richard Huddleston ‘89
OL Anthony Buckner ‘85
OL Miles McVay ‘22
OL Javontez Spraggins ‘19

Defense
DE Bryan Cox ‘85
DT Terry Beckner ‘15
DT Anthony Buckner ‘85
DE Ty Phillips ‘08
LB Dana Howard ‘89
LB David James ‘92
DB Arthur Sargent ‘85
DB Antonio Johnson ‘19
DB Terry Hawthorne ‘08
DB Frank Spraggins ‘92
DB Dion Dean ‘89

Wheaton Central / South

QB. Jon Beutjer. Tim Lester
OL. Dace Richardson. Josh Romberg Larry Moeaki Will Matte Rich Thomas Jeff Simpson
RB Bobby Nelson Red Grange Phil Adler
WR Corey Davis Jon Schweighardt Jerome Collins Kasey Klaas.
TE. Tony Moeaki
DL. Dan Chism Chris Flores Chris Arthurs Jake Kelly Tom Cione Ryan Conway
LB Ron Grego Mike Labelle Pat Dansdill Jake Schultz
DB Steve Schweighardt Bob Neman Larry Newsom Brett Bell
K/P. Jack Olson
I gotta add to your list because you're not doing some legends their justice. Though I do applaud your list.

QB Jeff Thorne (The Godfather), Reilly O'Toole
OL Jamie Maas, Doug Johnston
RB Adam "Little Train" Clemens, Marvell Scott, Dan Dierking, Kelly Crosby, Dan Vitale
WR Chris Dudek, Titus Davis, Eric McGoey
TE Jerome Collins
DEF Terrance Moore, Ray Schnurstein, Shane Dierking, Caleb Bednarz, Dansdill Bros., Brandon Peterson
K Doug MacLeod

“Who ya rootin’ for… HOLY CROSS!”

This list will be iffy on linemen. It will also be mostly post-1989. Need a little help with the big uglies from 2000 and later, GuerinFBfan

QB - Brian Dolan 95. ESCC MVP. Enough said
RB - Garrett Wolfe 02
RB - Markus Coleman 00
RB - Chris Wright 96
RB - Butchy Cadematori 69. My dad STILL talks about how tough Butchy ran the ball
FB - Steve Tucker 91
ATH - Nader Mossavi 91. Played RB at HC. Fits at WR too
WR - Virg Gerin 83. Played QB at HC, WR at NIU
WR - Joe Gorowski 95. In the College football HOF in Atlanta… for U of C… in a picture. Lol
TE - Dan Tarpey 93 or Steve Joyce 95
OL - Mark Connors 97
OL - Norb Maryniak 96
OL - Ed Lizak 9
OL - John Scramuzzo 93, but he played LB
OL - Chris Morales 95

DL - Anthony Falbo 98/99
DL - Garrett LaFluer 91
DL - Pat Monahan 93
LB - Rocco Abbinanti 00
LB - Nick Castaldo 90
LB - Elbert Henderson 96
LB - Ricky DeFillipis 91
DB - Kevin Walz 01
DB - Greg Young 00
DB - Tim Hansen 93
DB - Ryan Antonik 00. Played QB at HC

KR - Markus Coleman 00
PR - Chris Chiodo 90
K - Ben Eberle 02.

Coaches
Joe DiCanio and Virg Gerin.
And my favorite, Joe Consalvo. Freshmen teams need a coach to inspire the B bombers, and Coach Joe was that guy.

Edgy poster and historian - GuerinFBFan 05
Trivia and statistics - Catch-22 93

“Who ya rootin’ for… HOLY CROSS!”

This list will be iffy on linemen. It will also be mostly post-1989. Need a little help with the big uglies from 2000 and later, GuerinFBfan

QB - Brian Dolan 95. ESCC MVP. Enough said
RB - Garrett Wolfe 02
RB - Markus Coleman 00
RB - Chris Wright 96
RB - Butchy Cadematori 69. My dad STILL talks about how tough Butchy ran the ball
FB - Steve Tucker 91
ATH - Nader Mossavi 91. Played RB at HC. Fits at WR too
WR - Virg Gerin 83. Played QB at HC, WR at NIU
WR - Joe Gorowski 95. In the College football HOF in Atlanta… for U of C… in a picture. Lol
TE - Dan Tarpey 93 or Steve Joyce 95
OL - Mark Connors 97
OL - Norb Maryniak 96
OL - Ed Lizak 9
OL - John Scramuzzo 93, but he played LB
OL - Chris Morales 95

DL - Anthony Falbo 98/99
DL - Garrett LaFluer 91
DL - Pat Monahan 93
LB - Rocco Abbinanti 00
LB - Nick Castaldo 90
LB - Elbert Henderson 96
LB - Ricky DeFillipis 91
DB - Kevin Walz 01
DB - Greg Young 00
DB - Tim Hansen 93
DB - Ryan Antonik 00. Played QB at HC

KR - Markus Coleman 00
PR - Chris Chiodo 90
K - Ben Eberle 02.

Coaches
Joe DiCanio and Virg Gerin.
And my favorite, Joe Consalvo. Freshmen teams need a coach to inspire the B bombers, and Coach Joe was that guy.

Edgy poster and historian - GuerinFBFan 05
Trivia and statistics - Catch-22 93
Butch Cad. has become a Don. His son Dean was a great FB and BB player at ND. He lead the Dons to a state championship in BB and is currently the head baseball coach.

• Love
Reactions: Gene K.
I knew Rugai from CK. He was the star athlete from the neighborhood all the younger kids looked up too. Was a great guy then and now. I believe he started a few games at Northern Illinois to. Interested to see ur list?
Come on though. I played in 1990-91 and that is terrible and Phelan and Rugai would laugh at you

Come on though. I played in 1990-91 and that is terrible and Phelan and Rugai would laugh at you
More like from 1980s on that i can remember

QB: Mike McGrew, Donovan Mcnabb, Jordan Lynch, Jeff Welsh, Blainey Dowling and 2023 Jack Elliot

RB: Bobby Sanders, Therriel Smith, Donald Dorham, Greg Owens, Matt Domer, Marty Quinn, Darrion Dupree 2023

TE: Matt Cushing, Mark Norville, Bryan Koepke, Jason Gasser

WR: Nate Turner, Chris Calloway, Darrell Hill, JJ Strong, Brian Leonard, Darryl Griffith, Octavius Bond, Enrique Cook, Alek Thomas, Frankie Lenti Jr and Don Veronesi (best player ever 2 ways at DB and WR who won 1991 championship by him playing both ways)

Oline: Mike Husar, Frank Cornish, Mark Antionetti, Bart Newman, Charles Edwards, Steve Edwards, Steve Rausch, Bo O Rourke, Arthur Ray. Sylvester Miller

DL: Jim McDonough, Simeon Rice (1 year amazing), Mike Minogue, Glen Foster, Enoch Smith, Steve Henderson, Ola Ali, Derrick Strong

LB: Tony Furjanic, Gary Casper, Pete Gabrione. Jeremy Nau, Jerry Schumacher, Steve Filer, Parker Shultz, Danny Novickas

DB: Enrico Mowatt, Marty Schumacher, Ed Stewart (Butkus Award LB on Nebraska national championship but safety at MC), Don Veronesi again, Heron O'Neal, Toriano Woods (HS WR but Div 1 safety at Illinois), Houston Griffith, Kareem Timbers, Ben Perty

There's not one team in the state that compares to that roster and that doesn't include Elmer Angsman, Ziggy Zrobski, Frank Pinn, Jerry Schumacher Sr, Frank Moran and other big time players from 1980 until 1930s

Last edited:
These guys do not have to be the best players you saw, but rather the ones you liked the most or most enjoyed watching.

I combined the WR/RB positions, and you can pick 5 total. However, for your FB, which is a separate position, you can use a power runner such as Alstott. I combined the DL/LB positions and you can pick 7 total. I combined the K/P/KR/PR into one position titled Special Teams, and you can pick two players. So there are 8 positions and you can have an honorable mention (or two) at each position.

1. QB - pick one (and the option of two honorable mentions)
2. WR/RB - pick five (and the option of two honorable mentions)
3. FB (power back) - pick one (and the option of an honorable mention)
4. OL - pick five (and the option of two honorable mentions)
5. TE - pick one (and the option of an honorable mention)
6. DL/LB - pick seven (and the option of two honorable mentions)
7. DB - pick four (and the option of two honorable mentions)
8. Special Teams - pick two (and the option of an honorable mention)

FOR ST. RITA
QB - Kafka [HM - Stephen Balsam]

RB/WR: Kaleb Brown, Wade Weyer, Tony Simmons, Kenny Golladay, and Jahwon Akui [HM - Ahmad Meritt & Jeff Sadowski]

FB Shawn Sierra [HM - Jeff Frieri]

OL Joe Tracy, Todd Kuska, John Nee, Tim Wojeck, Kevin Galeher, [HM - Tom Dennis, for starting a fight with MC when they tried to disrespect the tradition at 63rd & Claremont].

TE Jim Kordas

DL/LB Brian Hamilton, Bruce Gaston, Matt Conrath, Kevin Carberry, Darius Flemming, Matt Kingsbury, Tim Angsten [HM - Ray Novickas & Nolan Nawrocki]

DB Tracy Graham, Mark Sadowski, Bobby Singleton, Vince Thompson [HM - Henry Wilson]

Spec Ahmad Meritt, Stephen Flaherty [HM - Kaleb Brown]
Teams
And Tom Dennis got destroyed the whole game. Noone tried to disrespect the tradition and Bill Lynch caused the issue and that tradition got its ass kicked 26-0 so St Rita had to schedule Leo for another supposed last game at the Pit!!! I was on the field for the MC Rita supposed final game and I know what happened as Dennis got tossed off our pile and got manhandled against MC in the game

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT