ADVERTISEMENT

St Rita VS Boylan

1. The scoreboard is the only stat that counts.
2. Dominated is subjective.
3. If you want to infer tone that’s on you.

Rita is legit. Boylan has their hands full. Boylan has talented backs too. I’m surprised Rita lost to Montini. I wonder what changed after that.

Were you not watching the same game as everyone else? Boylan was dominated by Sycamore. You can be dominated by a team and still be able to pull out a victory. I'll take the victory, but I am very aware that we got lucky in that game. Sycamore controlled the line of scrimmage and had 355 yards of offense to just 99 for Boylan. Boylan was fortunate enough to get 3 long fumble returns that resulted in 2 touchdowns and one being returned to the 12 yard line.

I have seen 5 games for Boylan in person this year (North, Hono, Harlem, Marmion, and Sycamore) and the rest on NFHS and know the type of team they are and what they are capable of. With that being said, I would be shocked if Rita doesn't beat Boylan by at least 28 points. Boylan is just not in the same stratosphere as Rita and Boylan's limitations on offense and lack of depth really catches up with them. Am I hoping for a Boylan win? Yes, of course I am. I'm just being realistic of their chances.

Also, when Rita beats Boylan, are you going to come back here and say that Boylan choked? I would hope not and I hope you tone down your future posts because they seem to be shining a negative light on us other Boylan posters and fans.
Boylan needs to diversify the play calling on offense. I think they threw the ball only once on 1st down. Use Malone as a FB/lead blocker more and let the other Rb's go to work.

Curious, Goforit14, have you seen St. Rita play?

Reactions: Gene K.
SR was up by three scores and took the foot of the gas. That was a coaching error I'm sure they learned from. But all the Rita fans wanted Kaleb Brown out of the game in the 4th quarter. That was the right call yesterday.

Also Boylan is 12-0. Fans this is the semi's. Boylan is a good team. I'm guessing Kuska is telling his kids they are the underdogs and have something to prove playing at home.
Rita boys do their own research also. Maxpreps has had Rita #1 in 5A for several weeks. They know they are favorites but they also enjoy dominating their opponents. They'll be playing at 100% with that dominating hard hitting speed defense.

Rita boys do their own research also. Maxpreps has had Rita #1 in 5A for several weeks. They know they are favorites but they also enjoy dominating their opponents. They'll be playing at 100% with that dominating hard hitting speed defense.
I saw a little of the Rita-Montini game, and Rita's Defense looked really quick and aggressive. The best thing for Boylan to do is to run right at them, I think. Speed sweeps won't work against Rita's speed

I saw a little of the Rita-Montini game, and Rita's Defense looked really quick and aggressive. The best thing for Boylan to do is to run right at them, I think. Speed sweeps won't work against Rita's speed

DOES boy man still run the “Bill Thumb” wing T?
they were practically impossible to stop... like Cary grove and my carmel. Those offenses are like novocaine- according to the guy in remember the Titans! Give it time and it will work!!

they were practically impossible to stop... like Cary grove and my carmel. Those offenses are like novocaine- according to the guy in remember the Titans! Give it time and it will work!!

Wing T is gone. Spread now. Boylan has to hit some passes to back of Rita D. Sterling couldn’t do it.

Actually, they switched to the Spread about 15 yrs ago. They run a multiple offense with different formations...a lot of 2-back pistol sets

You are right on the aggressiveness. The problem in the Montini game in the second half is they got too aggressive and gave up leverage on the edge. The Montini QB only needed a sliver to take off. Since that game the SR defense has stayed aggressive but has kept containment. Boylan is a very good team at 12-0. The team with the fewest turnovers, penalties, or mental errors will win this game.

You are right on the aggressiveness. The problem in the Montini game in the second half is they got too aggressive and gave up leverage on the edge. The Montini QB only needed a sliver to take off. Since that game the SR defense has stayed aggressive but has kept containment. Boylan is a very good team at 12-0. The team with the fewest turnovers, penalties, or mental errors will win this game.
Spot on about the defense. Nice article this week end with the Jr. LB leading the team in tackles talking about keeping the HC QB in a phone booth. I'm very surprised Montini is already out of the playoffs.

And no team this late in the season should be taken lightly. Boylan is impressive at 12-0. St. Rita has been in playoff mode since the 5th game. Starting the season 1-3 they have been playing at a high level since then.

After a little time off, St. Rita is back to being a legitimate 7A power. They should be playing in the semi’s against either Nazareth or Mt Carmel. They are very fortunate to be in 5A for a year where are they are clearly overqualified. Give them the trophy now. IHSA ..wake up.

After a little time off, St. Rita is back to being a legitimate 7A power. They should be playing in the semi’s against either Nazareth or Mt Carmel. They are very fortunate to be in 5A for a year where are they are clearly overqualified. Give them the trophy now. IHSA ..wake up.

Finally someone said it! St Rita is a 7a program playing 5a playoffs. They should have no issues winning 5a.

A legitimate power that lost to both a 5A and 6A school during the regular season.

Win Loss records are meaningless at this point. Especially in the CCL.

Huh? The fact of the matter is that they lost to both a 5A and 6A team, neither of who are still in the playoffs. In fact, St Rita did not beat a team that advanced beyond the quarterfinals in any class this year. Based on this, how would you argue they are a legitimate 7A contender?

A legitimate power that lost to both a 5A and 6A school during the regular season.
You can lose some games and still be quality. Richards is a pretty solid 6a team, not a real tragedy losing to them on the road.
Montini game, coaches kind of messed that up. Throwing seams and such, racing to run plays up 21 instead of pounding Brown. It does seem like coaches learned from that at the end of games now.
While I hope Rita wins it. I also realize 5a top to bottom is easier than 7a. If Rita was in 7a they would have had Glenbard N route and a 2nd rd game at Carmel. Which may have been trouble.

I agree with this and we, Rita fans, should focus on the Rockford Boylan game. Rita has earned the right to host a semifinal game in 5A and that is it.

We, Rita fans, are excited and see the potential and possibilities, but the Titan from Rockford should be the damn focus! And I know this coaching staff will not let their players look ahead.

Reactions: MonetaMitch
You can lose some games and still be quality. Richards is a pretty solid 6a team, not a real tragedy losing to them on the road.
Montini game, coaches kind of messed that up. Throwing seams and such, racing to run plays up 21 instead of pounding Brown. It does seem like coaches learned from that at the end of games now.
While I hope Rita wins it. I also realize 5a top to bottom is easier than 7a. If Rita was in 7a they would have had Glenbard N route and a 2nd rd game at Carmel. Which may have been trouble.

I, too, checked to see where Rita would've ended up in 7A and you are spot on. According to Massey, the Caravan would've been the favorite. I'd rather take a home semifinal appearance in 5A, then a possible second round exit in 7A. That's just how I feel.

Reactions: Gene K. and USD24
Huh? The fact of the matter is that they lost to both a 5A and 6A team, neither of who are still in the playoffs. In fact, St Rita did not beat a team that advanced beyond the quarterfinals in any class this year. Based on this, how would you argue they are a legitimate 7A contender?
I know Boylan wouldn't make it past the 2nd round in 7a. They should have lost the quarterfinal this year, so all this extra football is just icing on the cake for me.

Reactions: RockSoup and USD24
Yes, St. Rita has had the most extraordinarily consistent winning program for the past 60 years in the state that only a handful of other programs can also claim.

But that doesn’t change the facts of the past 5 years. Perennial 7A state power? 3 out of the last 4 years St. Rita didn’t even win a 7A playoff game. 2 of those years they didn’t qualify for the playoffs. Perennial 7A state power? 1-4 in their last 5 games vs legitimate 5A powers JCA and Montini. Both have already been eliminated from this extremely tough 5A field.

Boylan has had better recent performance in 7A than St. Rita, winning the 7A crown this decade.

St. Rita is playing where the rules put them. I’d expect not even a discussion was had preseason about petitioning up because of the facts mentioned above and having a underclassmen heavy lineup.

The 4 teams left are great programs. Nothing is going to be given to anyone. I am so proud of the Soph, Junior, and Senior classes that have put it on their shoulders to get the program back to where it belongs. Just because some posters would rather remember St. Rita of the 70s or 2006 7A champs instead of their recent history tells me they would rather hate than enjoy these last 3 games between 4 great programs.

Yes, St. Rita has had the most extraordinarily consistent winning program for the past 60 years in the state that only a handful of other programs can also claim.

But that doesn’t change the facts of the past 5 years. Perennial 7A state power? 3 out of the last 4 years St. Rita didn’t even win a 7A playoff game. 2 of those years they didn’t qualify for the playoffs. Perennial 7A state power? 1-4 in their last 5 games vs legitimate 5A powers JCA and Montini. Both have already been eliminated from this extremely tough 5A field.

Boylan has had better recent performance in 7A than St. Rita, winning the 7A crown this decade.

St. Rita is playing where the rules put them. I’d expect not even a discussion was had preseason about petitioning up because of the facts mentioned above and having a underclassmen heavy lineup.

The 4 teams left are great programs. Nothing is going to be given to anyone. I am so proud of the Soph, Junior, and Senior classes that have put it on their shoulders to get the program back to where it belongs. Just because some posters would rather remember St. Rita of the 70s or 2006 7A champs instead of their recent history tells me they would rather hate than enjoy these last 3 games between 4 great programs.

Yeah, this is what I was trying to basically say. +100.

Reactions: RockSoup
The team has been in playoff mode since the 1-3 start. Could not be prouder how the kids handled the Montini loss. The coaches and alumni remember the last time we played a Rockford team. If we play a clean game ( lack of turn overs and penalties) we should be competitive against 12-0 Boylan. If emotions get the better of them it could be a trap game. Let's worry about 7A after the season. Anytime you are playing in November it's a good thing.

I’m going to say this again, Sterling-Boylan would be a great 5A competitive football game between two good evenly matched programs just like last years quarter final game that was won with a last second field goal. Hillcrest-Boylan would be a good competitive 5A football game between two evenly matched programs Hillcrest-Sterling would be a good competitive 5A football game between two evenly matched programs. Saint Rita playing Boylan or any good 5A program will win 35-0 and have their starters sitting by the start of the 4th quarter. It makes the playoffs so much less fun to watch unless your a Rita fan.

I’m going to say this again, Sterling-Boylan would be a great 5A competitive football game between two good evenly matched programs just like last years quarter final game that was won with a last second field goal. Hillcrest-Boylan would be a good competitive 5A football game between two evenly matched programs Hillcrest-Sterling would be a good competitive 5A football game between two evenly matched programs. Saint Rita playing Boylan or any good 5A program will win 35-0 and have their starters sitting by the start of the 4th quarter. It makes the playoffs so much less fun to watch unless your a Rita fan.
Explain something to me then. How did St. Rita start the season 1-3? And since that start, they lost their 2nd most productive player on the team for the season in Henry Wilson. Their losses were to LA, 5A Montini, and 6A Richards. I think this weekend will be very competitive.

Reactions: Gene K. and IgorStL
Have you watched Hillcrest play with Irving? The entire offense runs through him (special teams, too). They are a very good football team, but they are not the juggernaut that you're making them out to be.

Explain something to me then. How did St. Rita start the season 1-3? And since that start, they lost their 2nd most productive player on the team for the season in Henry Wilson. Their losses were to LA, 5A Montini, and 6A Richards. I think this weekend will be very competitive.
Honest question, how do you think SR would have done if they started the season with current QB?

Honest question, how do you think SR would have done if they started the season with current QB?
Undefeated. Turnovers killed them with previous quarterback. The sophomore that came in late season is make smarter decisions. First QB threw 10 interception over about 7 games, 2nd QB has thrown I believe 2 since taking over and into the playoffs. Both quarterbacks have the potential to be very solid, it will be some nice competition for the position next season.

Reactions: McCaravan
Honest answer: Hard to tell. Hard enough to open the season up vs JCA, HLR, LA and Montini. I don’t really know how the learning curve would have went. The difference in those games to these games has been the Defense. Soph QB runs the O very effectively. And last week completed a pass to the JR QB now playing WR. Two great team attitudes from what I can tell so far

Think coaches also learned something after blowing the Montini game. Run it, run it, run it. So that helps a qb look more efficient too.
What makes them seem so much better is they have a special player in Brown. While their defense is humming if he was replaced by just a decent back everything would be different. Some years those kids just appear and ruin many other teams dream year.

I'm sure the fans of Mascoutah would strongly disagree with that statement!

Undefeated. Turnovers killed them with previous quarterback. The sophomore that came in late season is make smarter decisions. First QB threw 10 interception over about 7 games, 2nd QB has thrown I believe 2 since taking over and into the playoffs. Both quarterbacks have the potential to be very solid, it will be some nice competition for the position next season.
Yep both QB's will be back next year. So will both of SR's All-State sections in sophomore RB Kaleb Brown and junior LB Michael Gaughan. I also heard Henry Wilson's recovery is going along nicely so far. They should be a very tough team next year.

I agree with RS; it's hard to tell. I think LA still beats Rita regardless of the QB. Does Rita build a 35 - 17 lead with the Sophomore QB in the first place? Who knows at the time.

If I had to put a number to it, Rita would have finished 7 - 2, replaced Montini as the 6th seed in 5A north and played at Sycamore in R2. And now, we can speculate all we want here.

Reactions: McCaravan
Saint Rita playing Boylan or any good 5A program will win 35-0 and have their starters sitting by the start of the 4th quarter. It makes the playoffs so much less fun to watch unless your a Rita fan.

I agree that playoffs aren't fun to watch when one team is dominating the playoff field, and it isn't your team. But, let's see what happens the rest of the way. I do believe there are two more games to be played before you can crown Rita 5A champs.

Secondly, I get the sense that perhaps you feel that Rita is not entitled to achieve the success they are achieving in the class where they have been placed. If true, why is that? Because they are dominating? Because they are playing in the class of their actual enrollment? Do other schools not dominate in their respective classes like Rita is doing? How about what ESL is doing in 6A? Has 4A Coal City not defeated its first three playoff opponents by a combined score of 99-7?

Place the blame on the IHSA with its flawed enrollment based playoff classification system that, year after year, creates huge competitive imbalances from top to bottom in each class.

Last edited:
Think coaches also learned something after blowing the Montini game. Run it, run it, run it. So that helps a qb look more efficient too.
What makes them seem so much better is they have a special player in Brown. While their defense is humming if he was replaced by just a decent back everything would be different. Some years those kids just appear and ruin many other teams dream year.
Really, man Boylan hasn't seen a player even close to K. Brown's talent this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT