ADVERTISEMENT

St. Rita of Cascia High School Announces New Head Football Coach

SOUTHSIDECFD

Oct 1, 2009
Chicago, IL, September 22, 2022 – Deacon John Donahue, J.D., Ed.D., President of St Rita of Cascia High School announced that Martin T. Hopkins has been named the new Head Football Coach. Hopkins will come on board at St. Rita as Director of Strategic Development, and will assume his new duties as Head Football Coach at the end of the current season and the retirement of Todd Kuska, who has served 25 years in that role. Hopkins is a 2009 graduate of St. Rita and played football for Coach Kuska. “I am excited about the future of our football program knowing that Coach Kuska’s legacy will be continued by one of his very own players”, said Donahue.

Martin Hopkins has extensive coaching experience at the Division I collegiate level. He is a graduate of the University of Iowa where he received both his undergraduate and graduate degrees. Martin was a student athlete playing football at Iowa until an injury forced his transition into coaching and analyzing for Iowa Football. Hopkins brings nine years of high level coaching experience with him to St. Rita. During his tenure at Iowa, he served as a coach for Defense, Offense, and Special Teams. Athletic Director, Curtis Price ’88 said, “The St. Rita football program will be in great hands with the selection of Martin. I look forward to working with him as we form our student-athletes in the Augustinian tradition.”

“I am beyond honored and thankful to be chosen as the next St. Rita Head Football Coach and to carry on the strong tradition of St. Rita High School and St. Rita Football. It is my privilege to follow in the footsteps of a Hall of Fame coach in Coach Kuska, and also the great coaches before him like Coach Wernet, Coach Cronin, and Coach Buckley. Thank you to my wife, family, friends, and coaches who have molded me into the man I am today. And thank you to St. Rita for making this dream a reality. It feels great to be home, Go Mustangs!” Hopkins said.

Hopkins, 31, is a native of Beverly, a graduate of St. Cajetan, St. Rita Student Body President class of 2009, and a member of the St. Rita 2007 Prep-Bowl Championship and 2006 State Championship teams. Married to Elizabeth Hopkins (Sweeney) - Mother McAuley ‘09. Son of the late Tom Hopkins - Honorary St. Rita Alumnus and Margie Hopkins - Current St. Rita Registrar & Receptionist. Brother of Tommy Hopkins ‘07, Liam Hopkins ‘11, and Anne McIntyre (Hopkins) - Mother McAuley ‘13/Current Head Varsity Girls Lacrosse Coach.

I posted this earlier in the "One last ride for a great guy St. Rita HC Todd Kuska."

That being said Marty is a great hire. Solid ties to the core parishes that St. Rita fills classrooms seats with. With Fr. Tom McCarthy back in the building full time those hires are nothing but pluses for the school. Marty was one hell of player to watch while he played at St. Rita. I watched all of his varsity games and he never left anything on the field.

Last edited:
I posted this earlier in the "One last ride for a great guy St. Rita HC Todd Kuska."

That being said Marty is a great hire. Solid ties to the core parishes that St. Rita fills classrooms seats with. With Fr. Tom McCarthy back in the building full time are nothing but pluses for the school. Marty was one hell of player to watch while he played at St. Rita. I watched of of his varsity games and he never left anything on the field.
I copied your post. Thought it deserved it's own thread.

Great job St.Rita! Send your transition notes over to 6410. Could be a good learning experience for the future coed school

Chicago, IL, September 22, 2022 – Deacon John Donahue, J.D., Ed.D., President of St Rita of Cascia High School announced that Martin T. Hopkins has been named the new Head Football Coach. Hopkins will come on board at St. Rita as Director of Strategic Development, and will assume his new duties as Head Football Coach at the end of the current season and the retirement of Todd Kuska, who has served 25 years in that role. Hopkins is a 2009 graduate of St. Rita and played football for Coach Kuska. “I am excited about the future of our football program knowing that Coach Kuska’s legacy will be continued by one of his very own players”, said Donahue.

Martin Hopkins has extensive coaching experience at the Division I collegiate level. He is a graduate of the University of Iowa where he received both his undergraduate and graduate degrees. Martin was a student athlete playing football at Iowa until an injury forced his transition into coaching and analyzing for Iowa Football. Hopkins brings nine years of high level coaching experience with him to St. Rita. During his tenure at Iowa, he served as a coach for Defense, Offense, and Special Teams. Athletic Director, Curtis Price ’88 said, “The St. Rita football program will be in great hands with the selection of Martin. I look forward to working with him as we form our student-athletes in the Augustinian tradition.”

“I am beyond honored and thankful to be chosen as the next St. Rita Head Football Coach and to carry on the strong tradition of St. Rita High School and St. Rita Football. It is my privilege to follow in the footsteps of a Hall of Fame coach in Coach Kuska, and also the great coaches before him like Coach Wernet, Coach Cronin, and Coach Buckley. Thank you to my wife, family, friends, and coaches who have molded me into the man I am today. And thank you to St. Rita for making this dream a reality. It feels great to be home, Go Mustangs!” Hopkins said.

Hopkins, 31, is a native of Beverly, a graduate of St. Cajetan, St. Rita Student Body President class of 2009, and a member of the St. Rita 2007 Prep-Bowl Championship and 2006 State Championship teams. Married to Elizabeth Hopkins (Sweeney) - Mother McAuley ‘09. Son of the late Tom Hopkins - Honorary St. Rita Alumnus and Margie Hopkins - Current St. Rita Registrar & Receptionist. Brother of Tommy Hopkins ‘07, Liam Hopkins ‘11, and Anne McIntyre (Hopkins) - Mother McAuley ‘13/Current Head Varsity Girls Lacrosse Coach.
Sounds like a great hire. Congrats!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT