ADVERTISEMENT

St. Rita 42, Sandburg 21: Final

Sandburg is never going to be a real threat on a consistent basis for the foreseeable future, especially with Providence turning the corner again. They had a couple decent drives on offense but they couldn’t stop Rita on offense and shot themselves in the foot a couple times. Decent size up front but no real play making threats

To be honest, I don't think he got many looks tonight. From what I remember, he had his usual hard-hitting, running-over-people runs. He also got to the outside on some. Keep those legs fresh. I see him definitely being used more as the season goes on.

Offense gained a big play, called back due to penalty and with 1st & 20, an I-formation, up-the-gut handoff to DJ occurred. He looked upset and got a full steam ahead and I think earned 11 tough yards knocking people left and right, setting up a doable 2nd down.

Would love to see him out of I-formation at times. With him gaining momentum, watch out!

To be honest, I don't think he got many looks tonight. From what I remember, he had his usual hard-hitting, running-over-people runs. He also got to the outside on some. Keep those legs fresh. I see him definitely being used more as the season goes on.

Offense gained a big play, called back due to penalty and with 1st & 20, an I-formation, up-the-gut handoff to DJ occurred. He looked upset and got a full steam ahead and I think earned 11 tough yards knocking people left and right, setting up a doable 2nd down.

Would love to see him out of I-formation at times. With him gaining momentum, watch out!
He will be very valuable come the cold November weather. The other RB did well, more of a speedster.

Thank you to @Wittymoniker1 @chakazulu89 @tomloner for holding the fort down as life got a little busy for the Soup this summer.

Thank you to @ignazio for doing the pick em

Thank you to @McCaravan for reaching out and telling me to stop pouting about life, get off my a$$ and give my edgy family what they need 😂 Ok, maybe it wasn’t that dramatic but without further ado, below is Rock’s recap:

-Hello JR WR Jimmy Maxson. I'm going to hold back a bit but holy separation Batman
-Tackle like the 2nd and 3rd quarter and they'll lose a game that they are favored in
-Opposing QBs will have a Saffold clock like the Farrell/Kings/Gaughan clocks of years past. Hopefully they deploy him in all 7 gaps throughout the game
-QB Jett great improvement, but maybe let the RBs help you a bit on the read runs but hey aggressive and poised, great first game
-DJ looks better than ever. Such underrated feet for the big man
-Other RB JR Nick Herman looks to be the perfect compliment in the backfield
-Too early to tell on the OLine but no major weaknesses exposed yet
-Kicking/Punting game looks to be up to St. Rita standards so far
-Early returns are what we thought, talented but will have to earn it every week
-DB wise, JR Buckner looks to be a potential problem for offenses. Deep zones better than press for the unit as a whole so far but that is expected in week 1s
-Congratulations to Coach Martin Hopkins on his first of many wins. The young man is an extremely impressive person on and off the field.
-High School football is back, Rock is around, God is good. Til next week gents

Thank you to @Wittymoniker1 @chakazulu89 @tomloner for holding the fort down as life got a little busy for the Soup this summer.

Thank you to @McCaravan for reaching out and telling me to stop pouting about life, get off my a$$ and give my edgy family what they need 😂 Ok, maybe it wasn’t that dramatic but without further ado, below is Rock’s recap:

-Hello JR WR Jimmy Maxson. I'm going to hold back a bit but holy separation Batman
-Tackle like the 2nd and 3rd quarter and they'll lose a game that they are favored in
-Opposing QBs will have a Saffold clock like the Farrell/Kings/Gaughan clocks of years past. Hopefully they deploy him in all 7 gaps throughout the game
-QB Jett great improvement, but maybe let the RBs help you a bit on the read runs but hey aggressive and poised, great first game
-Early returns are what we thought, talented but will have to earn it every week
-DB wise, JR Buckner looks to be a potential problem for offenses. Deep zones better than press for the unit as a whole so far but that is expected in week 1s
-Congratulations to Coach Martin Hopkins on his first of many wins. The young man is an extremely impressive person on and off the field.
My pleasure sir! Sometimes we all need a check of well being! Life gets hard and nobody knows what the person on the other end of the keyboard maybe going through so when we don’t hear from them, we reach out!

I had SR with a solid W with Sandburg. Next week I was going to wait and see what happened when they played LWE and after seeing how that game ended and watching some of Edgys film I think you will be completely fine.

Last edited:

Welcome back big fella🍻

• Love
Reactions: RockSoup
My pleasure sir! Sometimes we all need a check of well being! Life gets hard and nobody knows what the person on the other end of the keyboard maybe going through so when we don’t hear from them, we reach out!

I had SR with a solid W with Sandburg. Next week I was going to wait and see what happened when they played LWE and after seeing how that game ended and watching some of Edgys film I think you will be completely fine.
In the end, I believe perseverance is the key. You know, just hang in there.

Btw, I had SR with a 28 - 14 type of victory. If the O-line can do well, Rita has the potential to be very good. I think the defense will get better, and I expect them to come out of the gates Friday and do well against KW.

Reactions: RockSoup
One more thing that I didn’t mention in my recap:

-Shout out to Coach John Nee, OC and OLine Coach. No one knew what to expect play calling or from the OLine in week one but the HOF Coach over delivered as always. Coach Nee was inducted into the Chicago Catholic League Hall of Fame this past April. Congratulations to one of the best men and coaches in High School football and baseball.

-Shout out to Coach John Nee, OC and OLine Coach. No one knew what to expect play calling or from the OLine in week one but the HOF Coach over delivered as always. Coach Nee was inducted into the Chicago Catholic League Hall of Fame this past April. Congratulations to one of the best men and coaches in High School football and baseball.
Rock good to have you back. You make me smile when you post! 👍

In the end, I believe perseverance is the key. You know, just hang in there.

Btw, I had SR with a 28 - 14 type of victory. If the O-line can do well, Rita has the potential to be very good. I think the defense will get better, and I expect them to come out of the gates Friday and do well against KW.
Witt
You’re another guy who I like to see here on Edgy! Good to see your back for another fun loving season of HS football! 👍

Reactions: Wittymoniker1
Well week one is over. It’s always good to start the season with a win. Rita throwing a deep post route on the first play of the season was a shocker. Coach Nee is the OC this year. A lot of people got touches this week. For a while I thought DJ was hurt but this year looks like it may be different. MC, especially in the second game, was able to load up the box to control DJ Stewart. It’s only one game but I like having a more diversified offense. I think DJ yards per carry will be higher this year just by having more potential threats on the field. The QB looks more confident in his throws. Rita hosts Kenwood this week. Middleton transferred from Rita to Kenwood. I understand his leaving. Being the talent he is and playing behind DJ had to be rough. It’s only one week but so far so good.

The nice thing about posters like the Rock and Witty is, as long as I have been around, I learn new things every week. Go Rita Go.

Sandburg is never going to be a real threat on a consistent basis for the foreseeable future, especially with Providence turning the corner again. They had a couple decent drives on offense but they couldn’t stop Rita on offense and shot themselves in the foot a couple times. Decent size up front but no real play making threats
Truth. Especially when those in charge of feeder programs are private school backers.

Truth. Especially when those in charge of feeder programs are private school backers.
We prefer to call them opportunity allowers, freedom lovers. Yes Sandburg is in an area that makes 6 private options (possibly more) viable to families. But many from the feeder do attend and play for Sandburg and there were feeder jerseys on Sandburg’s sideline (in the area they are allowed) for the game Friday night. Those kids have great options, their district high school is one of them.

We prefer to call them opportunity allowers, freedom lovers. Yes Sandburg is in an area that makes 6 private options (possibly more) viable to families. But many from the feeder do attend and play for Sandburg and there were feeder jerseys on Sandburg’s sideline (in the area they are allowed) for the game Friday night. Those kids have great options, their district high school is one of them.
I kind of think free tuition is a good start. I caught the light by the school going to Fox's in Orland during the summer. I saw a lot of plaques for State Championships for a lot of stuff. Maybe this football coach is trying to change the culture at Sandburg.

Great coach and an even better guy.

Call it what you want. The top kids get split between the privates and its private alums overseeing the feeders. Not saying its right or wrong. But a spade is a spade

Feeders feed the neediest. Football keeps these schools alive.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT