ADVERTISEMENT

St. Rita 23, BR 6: Final. Update for R-Soup

Congrats to Rita on beating neighborhood rival, BR. I had SR at 5 - 4 at best, looks as though a 7 - 2 record is imminent. What a difference a year makes.

Congrats to Rita on beating neighborhood rival, BR. I had SR at 5 - 4 at best, looks as though a 7 - 2 record is imminent. What a difference a year makes.

I don't have them beating MA yet. SR O not too crisp since MC game. JR WR 81 hasn't played since then. 81 is a lot like 28 who had huge game tonight. Even though BRs miscues and SR taking advantage of them was the story tonight in a nutshell, SR's DBs played very well. Work good as a unit and individually they each have the speed to cover and excellent open field tackling ability. JR CB 29's future looks bright.

Reactions: Wittymoniker1
I don't have them beating MA yet. SR O not too crisp since MC game. JR WR 81 hasn't played since then. 81 is a lot like 28 who had huge game tonight. Even though BRs miscues and SR taking advantage of them was the story tonight in a nutshell, SR's DBs played very well. Work good as a unit and individually they each have the speed to cover and excellent open field tackling ability. JR CB 29's future looks bright.

I am usually very cautious, but I think they do get past MA. It's true there's been some letdown since the MC game, but good teams still win games while fighting through those issues. And that's why I am upbeat about this team; they are more stable.

I love the fact that Year 10 has a 7 - 1 record, beating teams that pummeled them last year. Yes, this is not a measuring stick for varsity, but again, beating these teams only bodes well for the program.

And why do I get this feeling that SR/MC are going to meet up soon in the state playoffs, since MC has been resurrected after the DLS loss. LOL!

Reactions: RockSoup

I love the fact that SR has a lot of speed. Playing against these spread offenses, SR has adapted. I am impressed by the DB's as well.

QB is key. I think 81 may be ready for the playoffs. I actually have a connection to someone close to me that knows Jake's family. I will double check and get back to you.

I am usually very cautious, but I think they do get past MA. It's true there's been some letdown since the MC game, but good teams still win games while fighting through those issues. And that's why I am upbeat about this team; they are more stable.

I love the fact that Year 10 has a 7 - 1 record, beating teams that pummeled them last year. Yes, this is not a measuring stick for varsity, but again, beating these teams only bodes well for the program.

And why do I get this feeling that SR/MC are going to meet up soon in the state playoffs, since MC has been resurrected after the DLS loss. LOL!

MA is just one of those teams made up of solid kids with a good coach. Their D plays like wrestlers, low to the ground and hard to move.
Year 10 is very improved. Got a difference maker back this year, and healthy on O line. Some solid road graders on that line. Excited to see them at next level.
Since you know 81, you know how important his skill set is. Looked like interior plays were getting stuffed all night because BR looked intent to stop it, opening up 28 to have huge game on perimeter. 81 and 28 back together may open up those inside quick hitters

#29 Kempton Shine is SOLID! Great kid off the field too. LA O didn't throw to his side once...by design.

If MC finishes 5-4 they will have to get thru a couple of 9-0 and/or 8-1 teams before SR sees them if SR finishes 7-2.

Last edited:
SR completes the sweep with the frosh win in the monsoon. 7-0. Hopefully, better conditions the next time these two very good classes meet.

Reactions: Wittymoniker1
SR completes the sweep with the frosh win in the monsoon. 7-0. Hopefully, better conditions the next time these two very good classes meet.

That is good to hear! 9th Year = 7 - 1; 10th Year = 7 - 1! I will take that. And just last year at this time, I was very worried! Hopefully, kids stay, grow and buy into the program for the next few years, because it'll be very interesting.

That is good to hear! 9th Year = 7 - 1; 10th Year = 7 - 1! I will take that. And just last year at this time, I was very worried! Hopefully, kids stay, grow and buy into the program for the next few years, because it'll be very interesting.
Anyone have a list of everyone's records in the CCL Blue?

When is the last time Br. Rice had this bad of a season? They are going to go 2-7 and those 2 wins were against class 2A schools. Those aren't quality wins.

When is the last time Br. Rice had this bad of a season? They are going to go 2-7 and those 2 wins were against class 2A schools. Those aren't quality wins.

Not sure, but it's been a while for sure. BR will bounce back no problem next year; I am not a BR expert, but I believe a lot of talented Juniors played this year. Perhaps OW, Dans or ssczar can elaborate?

Just lower levels the varsity's are all on the IHSA web site. TY

Frosh conference shapes up as

MC 3-0 (7-0 overall. Beat non cons Taft, HF, Phillips, DLS convincingly. Game today vs Montini postponed, don't know if they make it up or not. Last scheduled game vs PC)

SR 3-1 (7-1 overall. Beat non cons Pats, Rich Central, Laurence, Montini convincingly. Last scheduled game vs Marmion)

LA 1-2 (losses to MC, SR. Beat PC)

PC 1-2 (losses to SR, LA. Beat BR)

BR 0-3 (last game vs. LA. BR beat Marist to start season. Beat Montini non con too. Losses in Blue all by one score)

All the southland blue have nice frosh classes and will be fun to follow next 3 years.

Sophs

SR 3-1 (7-1 overall. Loss to PC 17-14)

MC 2-1 (6-1 overall. Loss to SR 35-23. Don't know status of MC Montini)

PC 2-1 (don't know overall. Loss to BR 21-17)

BR 1-2 (6-2 overall. Losses to MC, SR)

LA 0-3 (5-3 overall)

I'm on some group texts that pass the lower level scores around. If anyone sees anything I put in wrong, please reply. We all keep the lower level scores in perspective, like LA's Sophs have a lot of soph talent up on varsity, and stuff like that. What's the old mutual fund quote, past results may not be indicative of future results. Fun to know and needle. Hope for the best for all the young catholic leaguers and remember when IMG or other schools call, just say no and see you on varsity:D

Reactions: 3OrangeWhips
Not sure, but it's been a while for sure. BR will bounce back no problem next year; I am not a BR expert, but I believe a lot of talented Juniors played this year. Perhaps OW, Dans or ssczar can elaborate?

Last time BR finished 2-7 was 2001. I thought they would be a 4-5-6 win type team this season. Just never established anything on offense - I thought they would try to run the ball a little more with some size on the line, depth at RB and more of a running QB but they seemed to revert to the spread O passing game more often as if they had the playmakers from the last few seasons. Defense was improved from last year - except for the MC route.

Yes - several juniors started this season and much to look forward to but still disappointing with the results.

My guess is they will go with the current soph QB (big kid/strong arm) next season and get back to what they have had some success with under the current staff...pocket passer slinging it around.

Good luck to St. Rita in 7A. Much respect to Kuska and his program. I imagine the BR v SR games will take on even more of a meaning with MC's temporary relocation. At BR in week 6 next season.

When was the last time the two lower levels did this well at the same time?

I can't get any confirmation to your question. But if I go off memory, obviously the whole 2000s, it was the norm and in 2012, the frosh were 9-0 so I would say this is the best year for both lower levels in a half decade.

Frosh conference shapes up as

MC 3-0 (7-0 overall. Beat non cons Taft, HF, Phillips, DLS convincingly. Game today vs Montini postponed, don't know if they make it up or not. Last scheduled game vs PC)

SR 3-1 (7-1 overall. Beat non cons Pats, Rich Central, Laurence, Montini convincingly. Last scheduled game vs Marmion)

LA 1-2 (losses to MC, SR. Beat PC)

PC 1-2 (losses to SR, LA. Beat BR)

BR 0-3 (last game vs. LA. BR beat Marist to start season. Beat Montini non con too. Losses in Blue all by one score)

All the southland blue have nice frosh classes and will be fun to follow next 3 years.

Sophs

SR 3-1 (7-1 overall. Loss to PC 17-14)

MC 2-1 (6-1 overall. Loss to SR 35-23. Don't know status of MC Montini)

PC 2-1 (don't know overall. Loss to BR 21-17)

BR 1-2 (6-2 overall. Losses to MC, SR)

LA 0-3 (5-3 overall)

I'm on some group texts that pass the lower level scores around. If anyone sees anything I put in wrong, please reply. We all keep the lower level scores in perspective, like LA's Sophs have a lot of soph talent up on varsity, and stuff like that. What's the old mutual fund quote, past results may not be indicative of future results. Fun to know and needle. Hope for the best for all the young catholic leaguers and remember when IMG or other schools call, just say no and see you on varsity:D
Thank you for the info!

We've been spoiled the last several years with some great players. Those quality players masked some of coaching inconsistencies we've called into question on this board and in the stands. I like Badke and he has done well recruiting in areas like the south and southwest suburbs.

I like #4 at Qb. He's tough and reminds me of Alacorn from a few years back. Rb is a strong point but hasn't been consistent in their output. It doesn't help when there's constant pressure each play. As for receivers, Okeefe and #14 will be back. A couple of big playmakers on the sophomore level will be welcomed additions. A few returnees on the oline should help matters. Im very impressed by #71.

Defensively, injuries have forced several juniors onto the field. Ruffin and Green will be missed up front. However, #58 has been proving himself weekly. I feel for #89 because he had a great sophomore season last year and I was looking forward to seeing his development. Means and Fitzgerald are impact players and will be returning next year.

I had them going 4-5 at best this year. They will be better next year but so will Loyola, Rita and Providence.

We've been spoiled the last several years with some great players. Those quality players masked some of coaching inconsistencies we've called into question on this board and in the stands. I like Badke and he has done well recruiting in areas like the south and southwest suburbs.

Does everyone owe Steve Nye more respect then he got on 99th and Pulaski?

If you look at the IHSA records for the last three coaches there Nye did not do that bad. Mitchell won 65% of his games, Nye 62%, and Badke 57% when you factor in this year's record so far. I think it's safe to assume a loss next week to a (genetically) superior LA squad. That would take his percentage down to 56%.

Just some food (nutrition) for thought.

Last edited:
Does everyone owe Steve Nye more respect then he got on 99th and Pulaski?

If you look at the IHSA records for the last three coaches there Nye did not do that bad. Mitchell won 65% of his games, Nye 62%, and Badke 57% when you factor in this year's record so far. I think it's safe to assume a loss next week to a (genetically) superior LA squad. That would take his percentage down to 56%.

Just some food (nutrition) for thought.
Touché

Also, it’s a forgone conclusion that LA will beat Rice most years.

Last edited:
I think the problem with Nye was his name popping up each year with some hc openings. Obviously, he finally got his shot at York and was a finalist at Reavis. Believe he's on the staff at Montini these days.

Who was the last successful CCL coach who left for a public school and did well? My answer is O'Neil from StL to Andrew.

I think the problem with Nye was his name popping up each year with some hc openings. Obviously, he finally got his shot at York and was a finalist at Reavis. Believe he's on the staff at Montini these days.

Who was the last successful CCL coach who left for a public school and did well? My answer is O'Neil from StL to Andrew.

John Hoerester left MC to become head coach at OPRF and has done a great job.

Reactions: Gforce5

I like #4 at Qb. He's tough and reminds me of Alacorn from a few years back. Rb is a strong point but hasn't been consistent in their output. It doesn't help when there's constant pressure each play. As for receivers, Okeefe and #14 will be back. A couple of big playmakers on the sophomore level will be welcomed additions. A few returnees on the oline should help matters. Im very impressed by #71.

Defensively, injuries have forced several juniors onto the field. Ruffin and Green will be missed up front. However, #58 has been proving himself weekly. I feel for #89 because he had a great sophomore season last year and I was looking forward to seeing his development. Means and Fitzgerald are impact players and will be returning next year.

I had them going 4-5 at best this year. They will be better next year but so will Loyola, Rita and Providence.

Orange and Czar, thanks for the scouting report. I knew BR was going to be down this year, but thinking SR was going to be around that 5-4 or 4-5 type record, I thought this would be a pick'em kind of game. Seeing what MC did to Rice, I though SR could pull this game out; I guess winning breeds confidence which then leads to more winning.

From here on in, all programs, as someone mentioned, are doing fine at the lower levels, so I expect barn-burners from here on in.

Last time BR finished 2-7 was 2001. I thought they would be a 4-5-6 win type team this season. Just never established anything on offense - I thought they would try to run the ball a little more with some size on the line, depth at RB and more of a running QB but they seemed to revert to the spread O passing game more often as if they had the playmakers from the last few seasons. Defense was improved from last year - except for the MC route.

Yes - several juniors started this season and much to look forward to but still disappointing with the results.

My guess is they will go with the current soph QB (big kid/strong arm) next season and get back to what they have had some success with under the current staff...pocket passer slinging it around.

Good luck to St. Rita in 7A. Much respect to Kuska and his program. I imagine the BR v SR games will take on even more of a meaning with MC's temporary relocation. At BR in week 6 next season.

That's a great point about MC leaving. I know for a fact that the only way SR plays MC is if it's in the rotation. I understand SR should focus on all games, but for me--now that MC is in the Green--beating BR and PC is a must to keep the dream alive, so to speak. Those are the games we gotta have each year.

BTW, you know anything about who Rita plays next year aside from Bronco-BR-LA-PC?

That's a great point about MC leaving. I know for a fact that the only way SR plays MC is if it's in the rotation. I understand SR should focus on all games, but for me--now that MC is in the Green--beating BR and PC is a must to keep the dream alive, so to speak. Those are the games we gotta have each year.

BTW, you know anything about who Rita plays next year aside from Bronco-BR-LA-PC?

Best guess on Rita crossovers would be De La Salle & Fenwick (no idea on Red opponent) based on them playing Laurence & Marmion the last two years and knowing that MC isn’t one of the crosses the next two seasons.

I know BR has Fenwick & Marmion.

He is D coordinator at St Laurence and if you have seen St Laurence, he is doing just fine.

I know nothing about his tenure at Rice and situation behind his leaving but if you read the bottom of the scoreboard at Rice the coaching change did not improve their results. When Nye left, O'Connell also took over Admissions so maybe Badke's credit is not all Badke.

My impression of the varsity staff at Rice is that they never seem to win a game becasue of coaching nor do they seem to get the best out of their players.

I also think Badke over schedules and in the case of this year did them in.

If as this board states they open with BR of MI and Marist next year......well.....who knows but again leading the state in playoff points does no good.

Obviously, I'm not a BR fan. And selfishly it would probably benefit SR if Badke and Rice parted ways. But I think such discussion is pretty absurd and I hope it does not happen. In my opinion, it is disheartening and counterproductive to the mission of these catholic schools to evaluate these coaches like college coaches being paid millions.

Obviously, progressive change can be good and sometimes is needed. Wernet was the coach when I was at SR until 96, and I really liked and respected his linkage with SRs past. But a change was probably needed bc he fell behind the times a bit.

A lot of the criticism directed at Badle is the same that I hear directed at Kuska; i.e. they don't win enough with all the talent they have. But both seem to be progressive and willing to change with the times (even though both probably were raised on old school catholic league football); treat their kids very well (from everything I have heard); and are alumni with valuable linkages with their school's past (I love that Kuska is from the 63rd street era).

For those reasons, I think these guys should get a lot of leeway when it comes to Ws and Ls. There are much more important lessons these coaches can impart than Xs & Os and wins. As a Rita alumni, I'm very proud of Kuska. He represents the toughness of 63rd street era with the open mindedness of today's era. He cares about the well being of his players much more than their performance between the white lines. I'm sure most of the Rice community feels that way about Badke. I'd just like to hear the support for guys like Kuska and Badke be a little more vocal

Reactions: Gene K.
Obviously, I'm not a BR fan. And selfishly it would probably benefit SR if Badke and Rice parted ways. But I think such discussion is pretty absurd and I hope it does not happen. In my opinion, it is disheartening and counterproductive to the mission of these catholic schools to evaluate these coaches like college coaches being paid millions.

Obviously, progressive change can be good and sometimes is needed. Wernet was the coach when I was at SR until 96, and I really liked and respected his linkage with SRs past. But a change was probably needed bc he fell behind the times a bit.

A lot of the criticism directed at Badle is the same that I hear directed at Kuska; i.e. they don't win enough with all the talent they have. But both seem to be progressive and willing to change with the times (even though both probably were raised on old school catholic league football); treat their kids very well (from everything I have heard); and are alumni with valuable linkages with their school's past (I love that Kuska is from the 63rd street era).

For those reasons, I think these guys should get a lot of leeway when it comes to Ws and Ls. There are much more important lessons these coaches can impart than Xs & Os and wins. As a Rita alumni, I'm very proud of Kuska. He represents the toughness of 63rd street era with the open mindedness of today's era. He cares about the well being of his players much more than their performance between the white lines. I'm sure most of the Rice community feels that way about Badke. I'd just like to hear the support for guys like Kuska and Badke be a little more vocal
No need to worry. Badke is not going anywhere. Sure, his teams may have underachieved a bit, but it's not like we have Mt. Carmel's football history. Years like this year happen. We only had 3 home games & overscheduled a bit with a not so great senior class. We move on. Last year's team was phenomenal & I think he was caught with his pants down looking ahead of Fremd after the huge letdown of giving Loyola all they could handle in a week 9 game for an undefeated regular season & possibly the #1 ranking on the line. I truly believe last year's squad was the 3rd best team in 8A behind LA & MS. And not far behind either of them, but they didnt come to play that day. Smalling was a once in a lifetime player for Rice. Probably need to reshape the offense a bit because we wont ever get anyone like him again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT