ADVERTISEMENT

St Ignatius using Justin Scott at RB?

Thoughts on St Ignatius using Ohio State Commit DL Justin Scott at RB?
I've heard they have done it at least twice. Not blocking, but rushing???
I get the novelty of it. Seems pretty risky and disrespectful.
Disrespectful to who? He's the best athlete on the field. Most teams want the ball in the hands of their best player.

There's a video on here from when he had a TD against JCA. I don't see the problem with it in short yardage situations. I'm gonna need you to explain how it's disrespectful, because I don't get that.

Reactions: The Disciple
I saw the game clinching TD v Huntley. I do not think disrespectful is the right word, but the defense looked pretty helpless bouncing off him like pinballs.

Disrespectful? Would you please elaborate? Thanks

Its smart. You have the best player on the field in most cases. Use him.

Reactions: Schwab54
This is HS. He's a great athlete. Injury potential alone to him and to his own defense is disrespectful. The last thing you want is aggressive LB's smashing into the lower body of your foundational player. Ankle sprain/fracture, knee issues torn ACL. Game over St Iggy. Ask Ohio State if they like it. Also works great against 190-220 pound defenders. It will be telling if they break out the fridge for Loyola game. I would bet not.

Reactions: Schwab54
This is HS. He's a great athlete. Injury potential alone to him and to his own defense is disrespectful. The last thing you want is aggressive LB's smashing into the lower body of your foundational player. Ankle sprain/fracture, knee issues torn ACL. Game over St Iggy. Ask Ohio State if they like it. Also works great against 190-220 pound defenders. It will be telling if they break out the fridge for Loyola game. I would bet

I think he will be OK. Have you seen him on the basketball court?

Funny post. Basketball is not the same. A good LB will topple him and use his weight against him. Simple question what would the crowd say if he did get hurt running the ball? OMG!!!
This is nothing new. Some of the guys might remember 2005 LWE using DT 6.0 275/lbs DJ Pirkle at RB and their 2 DE’s to help block in short yardage situations especially around the goal line. They called it their jumbo package.

Last edited:
Funny post. Basketball is not the same. A good LB will topple him and use his weight against him. Simple question what would the crowd say if he did get hurt running the ball? OMG!!!
Why are you so concerned about the possibility for him to get injured and not a regular running back? I would say the odds are higher he would cause an injury to a defender rather than getting hurt himself. How are his odds of getting hurt by carrying the ball 2-3 times increased over what may happen to him on the defensive side of the ball? There's always the possibility for injury when you step on the field, but no clue how that's considered disrespectful.

Why are you so concerned about the possibility for him to get injured and not a regular running back? I would say the odds are higher he would cause an injury to a defender rather than getting hurt himself. How are his odds of getting hurt by carrying the ball 2-3 times increased over what may happen to him on the defensive side of the ball? There's always the possibility for injury when you step on the field, but no clue how that's considered disrespectful.
Getting tackled is different impact. Especially to lower body joints. He is obviously not a running back.

I believe its an un needed gimmick. I would not do it if I was a coach. Why risk it. It could end his game and season, god forbid his career for nonsense.

Using the logic that "nothing is wrong with this", why not give him 10-15 carries a game.
4 yds guaranteed every play correct? Why not?

Getting tackled is different impact. Especially to lower body joints. He is obviously not a running back.

Using the logic that "nothing is wrong with this", why not give him 10-15 carries a game.
4 yds guaranteed every play correct? Why not?
so getting tackled low is more risky than having an OL roll up on the back of your legs while getting blocked?

Because if they were to use him more then teams could game plan for it by having defensive packages designed to plug the middle as he's not likely to kick it outside.

I agree. It is disrespectful. St. Ignatius should only be using players under 160 lbs to carry the ball! Maybe the IHSA needs to start putting stripes on the helmets of the guys who are too big and scary to run the ball!

I think spankwagon's kid went to Huntley and he doesn't have access to their twitter
I was at the Huntley game - heard some parents mention the knees - not in the nicest of ways

I can’t decide which tread is weirder between this thread and the Miss GrossNoises thread.
Two opposites though. This is the ultimate pearl clutching, while the other thread is the opposite, folks stanning for an imbecile because he "keeps it real" like a Jerry Springer show.

My favorite part about the latter is posters telling Edgy how to run the free board they've been posting on a year maybe.

I remember so little from Frosh football, but I will never forget the three carries I was given in the final game. The game is supposed to be fun!
I remember freshman football and playing against Jeff Zgoninia from COM, who went on to play DL at Purdue and in the NFL. He had to be 6'2 220 and he played FB on the freshman team. Lets just say as a 5'6 140 lb MLB, i did not fare too well against him!

Your son was one of the kids who couldn't tackle him?
No, we never played them.
Ask a Defensive Coordinator or a father of DL top commit if there is risk. I have, and they agree.
Then I realized none of that on this board. Only a bunch of washed up dad bods that know it all and want to point out how soft everyone is.
I never mentioned the safety of the d players or a weak approach. My question is with J Scott's safety. Or is big boy invincible when running the ball? (what about playing D line that risky tooooo !!!) No shit.
That's his job! That's his value and worth the risk. That's why college will be payed for.
It made ESPN, so it is a oddity and worthy to discuss.
Only way to tackle him is Knees down or gang. 310 falls hard. Loyola will be ready for this gimmick.
But my prediction is they wont run him vs Loyola. Especially not the first quarter. By Q4 then will be too late. Then not worth the risk of injury. Ha.

Ask a Defensive Coordinator or a father of DL top commit if there is risk. I have, and they agree.
Then I realized none of that on this board. Only a bunch of washed up dad bods that know it all and want to point out how soft everyone is.
I never mentioned the safety of the d players or a weak approach. My question is with J Scott's safety. Or is big boy invincible when running the ball? (what about playing D line that risky tooooo !!!) No shit.
That's his job! That's his value and worth the risk. That's why college will be payed for.
Only way to tackle him is Knees down or gang. 310 falls hard. Loyola will be ready for this gimmick.
But my prediction is they wont run him vs Loyola. Especially not the first quarter. By Q4 then will be too late. Then not worth the risk of injury. Ha.
So one dad agreed with what I'm guessing was your one sided argument and that's your definitive proof that you're right? Got it.

Iggy is going to need everything at their disposal if they want to beat Loyola so if they get inside the Loyola 5-10 yard line don't be surprised to see him running. If Loyola does stops him by going low or gang tackling and he walks away injury free then what will you complain about? It's not like he's getting 10 carries a game, in fact I'd be surprised if he had 10 carries all season.

It doesn't matter what someone's position is, there is an inherent risk of injury anytime you step on the football field. Being a D1 commit doesn't change that, BUT being an athletic freak reduces that risk, no matter where he lines up on the field as he is bigger and stronger than 90% of the kids he will go against.

Reactions: Stella5 and USD24
I'm 10000% sure that if him or his father had an issue with him running the ball he would not be running it. His coach would never put him in a position to put his future in jeopardy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT