ADVERTISEMENT

St. Francis-20 @ IC-54 Final

SF1957

Oct 6, 2018
SF @ IC for their Homecoming

7-21 End 1st Q. 2 of 3 IC scores coming off of turnovers

Last edited:
Francis drives 60 yards down to IC 17 with short passes/QB runs.

The ball is then striped and recovered by IC

Francis with another strong drive. They got as far as the IC 29 before a turnover on downs.

7-34 at the half.

While IC is clearly the better team, I am extremely impressed with how the sophomore QB from Francis has played tonight. After two early interceptions against a great D, he settled down and put together 3 strong drives in a row. One of them ending in a TD pass.

It’s great to see these young guys show up to play against such strong competition.

They are. 2016 was rock bottom and that didn’t last long.
I hate to tell you this, and I like the sf program, but the reason it’s better is because they left the catholic league. If they stayed they’d be struggling. To get destroyed by ic and say it didn’t last long is ridiculous.

I hate to tell you this, and I like the sf program, but the reason it’s better is because they left the catholic league. If they stayed they’d be struggling. To get destroyed by ic and say it didn’t last long is ridiculous.

I don’t disagree at all. It would be dumb not to see the connection. That being said, Francis was put between a rock and a hard place going to the CCL. They were too good to go right to the MSC and not strong enough to consistently compete in the CCL. It just so happened that their first year in the CCL they had one of our best classes, 6A semi-finalists.

Francis sports were meant for a conference like the Suburban Christian Conference, mid-sized privates. It’s unfortunate that the SCC outgrew itself.

Reactions: Cat Box
If you followed this team and saw what they were in ‘15 and ‘16 you’d realize how wrong you are.

Reactions: Gene K. and SF1957
Best way to view this is through the experience of Marmion in the CCL. Let’s face it, Marmion and St Francis football is kind of the same thing. Marmion has about 100 more boys but they are quite similar.

With Marmion’s loss to Fenwick, Cadet will go 2-7 this year. Look at their schedule and plug in St Francis. Sparta would finish about the same IMO.

If Marmion wanted in the Suburban Metro everyone would (rightly) think they were weak sauce under achievers for quitting the CCL and seeking out a lighter conference schedule.

Whether you remain in the CCL or join a weaker conference to stack up wins, the bottom line is, both programs need work and must improve. GM got a government bailout while Ford recovered without the government handout. You gotta respect Ford for gutting it out.

Francis (or Marmion) has potential to be the perennial big dog in the Metro but everyone would say - of course, and they should be the big dog with 800 students.

I agree with others. Too bad the SCC broke up. That was a good fit.

Perhaps in the near future there will be a right sized division within the new CCL/ESCC that will be a good home for Francis (or Marmion).

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K. and SF1957
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT