ADVERTISEMENT

Speed Kills - IHSA Track

crusader_of_90

Nov 1, 2003
Sauget, IL
archviewsecurity.com
Six of 18 state bests were set at the recent Belleville West Norm Armstrong Invitational meet with Chicago and STL teams competing. With the weather getting warm, this was a good forecaster of the state meet. Three of the state's top five 100s were run there. Here are the results:
Mens Varsity

Was looking these results over also and thought same thing. A mini state meet, that's for sure.

Lot's fast kids all over the country, including a 46.75 in the 400 meters by a high school freshman from Maryland. Not only that, but it was done indoors. Unbelievable.

some have the stars out, many don't. biggest name I saw was Epenesa from Edwardsville. Never heard of any of those Kenwood kids, how much better would they be with some of the stars we read about?

Kenwood is the real deal. They should be in the mix for a state trophy.

YIKES! At the Mascoutah Military Classic, Nathan Hippard of Mascoutah ran the 100 meters in just 10.01 seconds!!!!!

Edwardsville sophomore Iose Epenesa had the longest throw in the state of Illinois this season at 52.31 meters (171 feet, seven-and-one-half inches) as the Tigers finished second behind the Cahokia Commanches.

• Wow
Reactions: epicbret
Well done steak is tough, that Sectional is rare...check that list again

Bradley (B.-Bourbonnais)
Calumet City (Thornton Fractional North)
Chicago (Englewood STEM)
Chicago (Kenwood)
Chicago (Perspectives/Leadership) [Coop]
Chicago (Simeon)
Chicago (Washington)
Chicago Heights (Bloom Twp.)
Crete (C.-Monee)
Flossmoor (Homewood-F.)
Harvey (Thornton)
Lansing (Thornton Fractional South)
Midlothian (Bremen)
Oak Forest
Richton Park (Rich Township)
South Holland (Thornwood)

I can guarantee you will get plenty of state medals out of this sectional and at least 1-2 top 10 team finishes in this sectional

The Thornton and Lockport Sectionals are where the state trophies will come from most likely

Bradley (B.-Bourbonnais)
Calumet City (Thornton Fractional North)
Chicago (Englewood STEM)
Chicago (Kenwood)
Chicago (Perspectives/Leadership) [Coop]
Chicago (Simeon)
Chicago (Washington)
Chicago Heights (Bloom Twp.)
Crete (C.-Monee)
Flossmoor (Homewood-F.)
Harvey (Thornton)
Lansing (Thornton Fractional South)
Midlothian (Bremen)
Oak Forest
Richton Park (Rich Township)
South Holland (Thornwood)

I can guarantee you will get plenty of state medals out of this sectional and at least 1-2 top 10 team finishes in this sectional
That's girls. Aren't we talking about boys?

Thought I would take a brief look to see if, in fact, having great track speed in any way relates to team success in football.
I used the 2021-2022 school year because, obviously, boys track for the 2023 season hasn't finished yet.
What I did was list the schools that had a top-five finisher at the boys state track meet in 2022 in the following events: 100 dash; 200 dash, 400 relay, 800 relay. Those four races are all about speed.
So, here's what I found.
There was a possibility of 60 different schools appearing on my chart ... top-five finish in each of four events is 20 schools and there are three classes in boys state track (3 x 20 = 60).
Here are the schools listed in the top-five finish group.
3A) 1) Batavia; 2) Champaign Centennial; 3) Crete-Monee; 4) Downers Grove North; 5) Glenbrook South; 6) Homewood-Flossmoor; 7) Minooka: 8) Naperville North; 9) Oak Forest; 10) Palatine Fremd; 11) Plainfield North; 12) Prospect; 13) Quincy; 14) Warren; 15) Wheaton-Warrenville South.
2A) 1) Burlington Central; 2) East St. Louis; 3) Galena; 4) Herrin; 5) Kankakee; 6) Marian Catholic; 7) Monticello; 8) Mt. Zion; 9) St. Laurence; 10) St. Rita; 11) Streator; 12) Troy Triad; 13) Urbana.
1A) 1) Catlin South Fork; 2) Chicago Christian; 3) Chicago Holy Trinity; 4) Dakota; 5) Decatur St. Theresa; 6) Kankakee Bishop McNamara; 7) Lena-Winslow; 8) Liberty; 9) Newton; 10) Peru-St.Bede; 11) Pleasant Plains; 12) Virden North Mac; 13) Winnebago.
That's 41 different schools. Now, the question is: How many of those 41 schools that obviously had one or more speedsters on the spring track team in 2022 also had football success on the team level in the previous fall.
The answer, in terms of regular-season records:
24 of the 41 schools with a track "speedster" qualified for the playoffs with at least five wins the previous fall. That's 58.5 pct. success rate. Basically, 50 pct. of the teams playing football make the postseason so it would appear that anyone who says speed kills on the gridiron has a legit point.Note that two of the smaller schools that were represented in state track don't play football. And a third was Urbana which only played seven games in 2021.
In Class 3A state track, 10 of the 15 schools that had a speedster in state track also qualified for the football playoffs the previous fall. That's a 66.7 pct. relationship.
In Class 2A state track, 7 of the 13 schools that had a speedster in state track also qualified for the football playoffs.
In Class 1A state track, 7 of the 13 schools that had a speedster in state track also qualified for the football playoffs.
Note that of the 8 football state champs, only Class 1A winner Lena-Winslow also had a track speedster at state the following spring. All the champs (Lockport, Wheaton North, Cary-Grove, Fenwick, Joliet Catholic, Byron, and Wilmington) apparently defied the "speed" odds.
Finally, the number of Chicago Public League runners who finished in the top five in the 100, 200 400 relay or 800 relay in any class in the spring of 2022 was zero. Seems odd.

Kenwood qualified in the 4x1, 4x2 & 4x4 this year. They also have one of the top 200m runners this year, 2 of the top HJs, 2 400m that can go sub 50 and 2 good 300H. But the key for a trophy will be the 800m runner Gillespie.

Last edited:
Kenwood would. appear to be an excellent example of speed mattering in high school football. Given the above list of top-end speed in track, I would surmise before looking it up that the football program did well last fall.
And sure enough ... a six-win regular season followed by 2 playoff wins before being ousted in the 6A quarterfinals.

Reactions: Coach Percy
Seems odd.

Good job of work. I don't question your methodology, but I would like to point out that MC's Jaden Bossie took state in the hurdles, an event that is entirely relevant to football. During the MC-Loyola game, Bossie took off for a long gain and one of the announcers said, "Wow, there is speed, and then there is track speed."

EastSide is in a good spot to score lots of points in 2A.

Special shout out to my little cousin, Riley French for a top 10 in the 400 as a sophomore. That is a BRUTAL race.

Cahokia is doing OK - they have some jumpers in scoring position, but not likely to score the top three. The putter of the shot will likely win the gold and score in discus.

Where the hell did Herrin come up with all of that speed?

Reactions: Gene K.
EastSide is in a good spot to score lots of points in 2A.

Special shout out to my little cousin, Riley French for a top 10 in the 400 as a sophomore. That is a BRUTAL race.

Cahokia is doing OK - they have some jumpers in scoring position, but not likely to score the top three. The putter of the shot will likely win the gold and score in discus.

Where the hell did Herrin come up with all of that speed?
Herrin coach is part of a group coaches that real take track and speed training very seriously. I think it stems from a guy at Plainfield North I think..?

Reactions: crusader_of_90
Kenwood is the real deal. They should be in the mix for a state trophy.
This was not the last-weekend-in-May being hoped for in boys track/field and baseball for the rising Bronco athletic program. Next up ... hosting LWE in Week 1 for football.

Let’s see if speed kills, I didn’t see any LWE in the top 25 in track yet they still are one of the best in the state ever year! That said speed helps but I don’t agree with the saying speed kills. Just saying. 😊

Reactions: chakazulu89
Let’s see if speed kills, I didn’t see any LWE in the top 25 in track yet they still are one of the best in the state ever year! That said speed helps but I don’t agree with the saying speed kills. Just saying. 😊
H-F has plenty of recent State Track & Field hardware (including 3A champs yesterday), but that has not translated into much in annual conference (and sometimes playoff) match-ups with East on the gridiron.

HC has state Champions in the 800m, 1600m, 4x800m Relay (also top ranked relay team in the country) and got screwed out of the finals for the 4x400m, where they were favored.

None of these runners play football.

My favorite part of the meet was watching Bloomington Central Catholic freshman who pole vaulted 16-9. He also plays on baseball team. Not sure about football.

Reactions: epicbret
HC has state Champions in the 800m, 1600m, 4x800m Relay (also top ranked relay team in the country) and got screwed out of the finals for the 4x400m, where they were favored.

None of these runners play football.
Cross-over athletes between football and the middle distance track events are not considered commonplace. I suspect many of those runners build a distance base during cross-country in the fall.

Reactions: jha618
There was about a stretch beginning in the late 1960s where the track/field pipeline to football was far more prominent than now. The high-hurdler to split receiver* was rather frequent. Consider: Michael Carter, Richmond Flowers*, Willie Gault*, Bob Hayes, Bo Jackson, Earl McCullough*, Renaldo Nehemiah*, OJ Simpson and Herschel Walker, to name some.

Yea i think generally when people talk about football/track guys, they are talking about the 100m and 200m runners.
I agree - yet the point Olderbytheminute is trying to make is using 100m, 200m, 400m Relay and 800m Relay. My point is correlation is not causation.

There is nobody disputing T&F is a great Spring sport for football players. But it’s not the only Spring sport. Kids moving and competing in any sport will make them better in the fall.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT