ADVERTISEMENT

Speed Kills - IHSA Track

I believe 6-1 190. He's definitely more of an "edge" linebacker than a down lineman. But he goes against OT pretty regularly as a rusher so it's a matter of semantics and where his hand is I guess.

Young man has speed, translates amazingly well as he was a FR starter
I agree 100%. It was probably just easier as a freshman to put hand in the ground and say go get that guy. However closing seconds against Sycamore he was on a slot and sealed the game with an INT 40 yds down field.

Look at these national times ... a sub 10 100M??? A Texas sweep of the 400x1 with Atacosita taking the crown with sub 39!!!! Jelani Watkins - LSU bound - 10.19 and 20.56, 100/200 respectively. One IL thinclad ... in the 800 M. Most shocking is the sophomore who is just inches under 75 feet in the shotput!!!!

IN IL, the 4*100 is dominated by the metro-east - the 4*200 is spread around the state. We have a discuss tosser over 200, which is damned good. We MAY see 7-feet in the HIGH jump ... maybe we will break 50 in the triple jump and almost certainly 25 in the long jump.

We do not have any real elite track talent this year.

Last edited:
Was looking these results over also and thought same thing. A mini state meet, that's for sure.

Lot's fast kids all over the country, including a 46.75 in the 400 meters by a high school freshman from Maryland. Not only that, but it was done indoors. Unbelievable.
A Texas HS freshman went 1:49.8 in the open 800 late last month.

Look at these national times ... a sub 10 100M??? A Texas sweep of the 400x1 with Atacosita taking the crown with sub 39!!!! Jelani Watkins - LSU bound - 10.19 and 20.56, 100/200 respectively. One IL thinclad ... in the 800 M. Most shocking is the sophomore who is just inches under 75 feet in the shotput!!!!

IN IL, the 4*100 is dominated by the metro-east - the 4*200 is spread around the state. We have a discuss tosser over 200, which is damned good. We MAY see 7-feet in the HIGH jump ... maybe we will break 50 in the triple jump and almost certainly 25 in the long jump.

We do not have any real elite track talent this year.
Blame the IL football coaches ( HS and 7on7), robbing kids of competing in a sport such as track w/ Spring lifting often times in addition to track and during the crack of dawn. 7on7 tournamentd dang near every weekend. Somehow the MetroEast gets it right (a chicagoland issue) and the southern states where football and track reign supreme. That Atascocita team that beat Eastside this season set a national record in the 4x100m, insane!

Reactions: chakazulu89
I just looked up the IHSA girls sectional track results and of course the results in every field event are listed in meters. Why the IHSA would post track results in meters rather than feet/imches is beyond me.
And yes, you can try and defend the IHSA by saying they farm out the sectional results to a company to post, and to that I would ask why you would farm out important track results to any firm that will only list the performances in meters rather than feet/inches.
That's just carelessness by the IHSA.

Reactions: johnndoe
I just looked up the IHSA girls sectional track results and of course the results in every field event are listed in meters. Why the IHSA would post track results in meters rather than feet/imches is beyond me.
And yes, you can try and defend the IHSA by saying they farm out the sectional results to a company to post, and to that I would ask why you would farm out important track results to any firm that will only list the performances in meters rather than feet/inches.
That's how college and pros do it as well. Consistency

Outsourced to a foreign entity that measures in the metric system?

Different audience.
Ihsa needs to know it’s audience. And people who are well-versed on the metric system is not it at all.
Want to include metrics. Include both. Problem solved. We
Not sure where you're looking but when clicking to see the results on the athletic.net link on the IHSA site it list both standard and metric. Metric is on top in meters and standard measurement in feet and inches is listed directly below it.

Not sure where you're looking but when clicking to see the results on the athletic.net link on the IHSA site it list both standard and metric. Metric is on top in meters and standard measurement in feet and inches is listed directly below it.
Ihsa website
Spring sports
Girls track
Sectional resulrs
Class 3a
Deerfield sectional
All results
All results are listed but field events do not have feet/inches. Track results first with times and w for state qualifier
Then come field events in metric only

Ihsa website
Spring sports
Girls track
Sectional resulrs
Class 3a
Deerfield sectional
All results
All results are listed but field events do not have feet/inches. Track results first with times and w for state qualifier
Then come field events in metric only
Oops
I forgot to include you have to hit view results on athletic.net before you get to Deerfield 3a sectional

As a HS track coach, NFHS went to meters 3yrs ago to be uniform with the USATF and IAAF. They also eliminated the acceleration zone in relays and made the 1 false start rule and your out.

Metric has been used since 2020. Kids now better understand their distance sin meters then they do feet.

As for the boys meet, the IHSA standards were way too soft this year. The effects of covid on track are officially over. We will have 8 heats in the 100m, 7 heats in the 300h, 6 heats of 4x1, 7 heats of 4x2, and 6 heats of 4x2

Here's to the geezers at the World Masters. There are 80-year-olds who can run the hundred in 15 seconds and 75-year-olds who can do it in 13.

Last edited:
Reactions: crusader_of_90
Think of this way:

10.46 meters beats 10.23 meters the same way
34' 4" beats 33' 6 1/2"

Metric system is not hard to understand. And it is the standard system. Just ask the US Army

Reactions: jha618
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT