ADVERTISEMENT

South Elgin

Wassup13

Nov 9, 2002
How good is South Elgin?

Although they have not played really strong competition yet this year the Storm is 2-0 and outscored their opponents so far 122 to 0.

Could they be a surprise playoff team?

They did the same thing last year. Upstate 8 conference has 3 or 4 competitive teams. its a closed conference so they just flip home/away each year. The two teams they beat are arguably the worst in the conf. Lets see how they do against Glenbard East, Glenbard South, and Bartlett

Very well coached but that conference is so weak that I don’t know if we can tell if teams like South Elgin, Bartlett and GBE could compete with Dukane or West Sub public schools until the payoffs They are playing some very bad football teams and it’s a full conference so no chance for week 1 or 2 out of conference games. Elgin, Larkin, West Chicago, Streamwood, East Aurora, and 5A teams South Glenbard South and Fenton. It’s just not the level a competition an 8A program should face if they want to be ready for legit 8A teams in the playoffs

Last year South Elgin outscored their opponents were 192–0 in their first four games. Then went 2-4 including a first round playoff loss.

Perhaps this year they can do better against the tougher opponents.

South Elgin now 4-0 with 232 points scored and 0 given up in 4 games.

Soph QB Ben Karpowicz with 3 more TDs.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
SE will beat GBE easily. Their only potential challenge will be Bartlett

You play the teams that are in your conference.
Ok. Then let's change my words from schedule to conference? Either way they chose to be where they are.They are literally down the street from the St. Charles schools, Geneva, and Batavia, but the CHOSE to be in a lesser conference.

Ok. Then let's change my words from schedule to conference? Either way they chose to be where they are.They are literally down the street from the St. Charles schools, Geneva, and Batavia, but the CHOSE to be in a lesser conference.
Totally agree

I don’t know if they choose to be in that conference or District U46 said all the schools must be in the same conference.

Reactions: Gene K.
let's try this again
Elgin
Larkin
Streamwood
East Aurora
West Chicago
GBE
Fenton
GBS
Bartlett
South Elgin
will not know anything until 2019 playoffs and then see matchups

let's try this again
Elgin
Larkin
Streamwood
East Aurora
West Chicago
GBE
Fenton
GBS
Bartlett
South Elgin
will not know anything until 2019 playoffs and then see matchups

I think next week tells us a lot vs GBE which is a former DuPage Valley conference team.

GBE is not beating SE. Bartlett played a bad game and everything worked out for GBE

Lol Bartlett has been saying this for 3 years in a row now. South Elgin looks great, I have no idea if we can stop Them..we are very young and very inexperienced. But maybe they will have a bad game and everything will go our way.

South Elgin didn't choose anything. It's the Tri-City schools who chose to leave the UEC.

Bartlett has no chance of beating South Elgin. The UEC champion will be decided Friday night in Lombard.

From what I read here, the 10-team Upstate Eight is down in terms of top-end outstanding strength solid quality middle-of-the-pack depth this fall in football.
I would suggest that the North Suburban Conference also is facing that same situation this fall, and that may be creating the impression that Warren of Gurnee is poised to make a deep playoff run in 8A this fall and perhaps even thrive in the land of the giants (Lincoln-Way East, Loyola, etc.).
It certainly is possible that Warren belongs in the conversation with the aforementioned powerhouses. But please note that the view from this corner of the prep football world is that the other members of the North Suburban Conference’s “fab 5” (Lake Zurich, Stevenson, Libertyville and Lake Forest) are all possibly in various stages of slippage this fall when compared to the past decade of strength.
Strictly an opinion obviously, but the possibility could exist that blowout wins Warren has registered this fall and will continue to register in the coming weeks, may not merit the kind of exuberance that similar results would have produced in recent years.
This is not any criticism on Warren which can only play/beat the teams on its schedule. But the cautionary words shared here about South Elgin reminded me that similar thoughts and caution could also apply to Warren. That’s not to say Warren can’t go 14-0 or 13-1. It’s just that the scores it is posting in conference play this particular fall might not be as awe-inspiring as they would be in previous years.
Thanks for reading.

Warren has played Barrington and GBN. It will never happen except maybe in the playoffs but how based on conjecture would the top 3 in upstate v northern suburban conference
The same can be said about the NIC-10?

South Elgin didn't choose anything. It's the Tri-City schools who chose to leave the UEC.

True but that was becoming a no brainer for the tri-city schools. The teams they were playing in the upstate 8 couldn't field sophomore and freshmen teams and the level of competition just wasn't there. That's no slam on South Elgin. They are a good team and can play some really good football. That said, they really won't be tested nearly as much as most of the schools they will play in late October.

Reactions: Gene K.
Stevenson opened the season v LWE and Nequa Valley
South Elgin v west chicago and East Aurora

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT