ADVERTISEMENT

South Elgin playoff run

Hernandez03

Silver Member
Aug 30, 2023
What do y'all think? Dropped a game they should not have to GBS but Im thinking this team could make a lil run.

I can’t wait for potential South Elgin vs Warren round 2 matchup. Nobody else in here is going to pick SE, but I see a real tight close game that will go into Q4. After that, zero chance against LWE but an upset over Warren would be huge!

Not a chance, South Elgin will get pounded by Warren. The Upstate 8 might be the worst football conference in the state.
It’s really an ideal conference for many of the schools in it but overall it is exceptionally weak. SE, GBE & GBS will benefit from non con games next year but overall the league is really bad.

Warren is not the Warren of the last few years.
Unfortunately I have to agree. The conference is so weak that it makes you believe that they are better than they are. I am rooting for them but in my heart it’s not the defense we’re used to seeing.

Unfortunately I have to agree. The conference is so weak that it makes you believe that they are better than they are. I am rooting for them but in my heart it’s not the defense we’re used to seeing.
You are right in saying it isnt the Warren of the past. I would say football in general isnt the quality we have seen in the past? The talent in Illinois is way down this season in my opinion. Nobody is talking about any particular player this season because nobody has stood out.

The NSC was a young conference this year, does that translate to weak? I guess the next 5 weeks will show that.

A weak Warren is still better than a strong South Elgin.

Why limit it to the CSL North? Besides Maine South who is the CSL is a powerhouse in any sport? (Besides New Trier Lacrosse)

Define powerhouse.

New Trier is strong in most sports besides football. GBS basketball, golf, tennis and girls lacrosse are typically very good.

Reactions: brucealmighy
Define powerhouse.

New Trier is strong in most sports besides football. GBS basketball, golf, tennis and girls lacrosse are typically very good.
Hmmm... I would say consistent Sectional final participants in non-football sports. That would be top 16 in the state in most. Please dont list country club sports and say they are dominant...half of those arent played south of I-80.

Define powerhouse.

Correct about NT. Girls swimming 2X defending State champs, Boys Golf State champs, Girls tennis State champs, boys swimming second in State, Girls lacrosse State champs 2x in last four years,

Hmmm... I would say consistent Sectional final participants in non-football sports. That would be top 16 in the state in most. Please dont list country club sports and say they are dominant...half of those arent played south of I-80.

NT, Evanston and GBS make sectional finals in basketball more often than not across both genders. NT baseball always strong. (helps to have Kerry Wood on coaching staff). Could say the same on girls soccer.

In most sports, the Loyola/NT sectional is the hardest one in the state to get out of and teams are hoping that NT, Loyola and Evanston all don't get sent to same sectional

NT, Evanston and GBS make sectional finals in basketball more often than not across both genders. NT baseball always strong. (helps to have Kerry Wood on coaching staff). Could say the same on girls soccer.

In most sports, the Loyola/NT sectional is the hardest one in the state to get out of and teams are hoping that NT, Loyola and Evanston all don't get sent to same sectional
Their sectional is not the hardest in the state, its top heavy at best.

Their sectional is not the hardest in the state, its top heavy at best.
The New Trier soccer sectional this year might be the hardest sectional ever in any sport. OPRF was #1 in the state and #5 in the nation. New Trier #3, Niles North #6, Leyden #7 and Evanston#8 in the state. Notre Dame won the ESSC title and knocked off undefeated OPRF in the regional final. In other sports the sectional features GBS, GBN, Stevenson, Loyola and Maine South. Those schools all have excellent, well funded and feeder team supports sports across the board

The New Trier soccer sectional this year might be the hardest sectional ever in any sport. OPRF was #1 in the state and #5 in the nation. New Trier #3, Niles North #6, Leyden #7 and Evanston#8 in the state. Notre Dame won the ESSC title and knocked off undefeated OPRF in the regional final. In other sports the sectional features GBS, GBN, Stevenson, Loyola and Maine South. Those schools all have excellent, well funded and feeder team supports sports across the board
Go Dons!!

We will see guys. This is a different type of Warren team, I give you that. But a couple of things are the same. They will control the LOS/ positions and play solid defense. They were young and inexperienced in key positions to start the season. The kids have grown up. This may be Warren's best O-line in a few years. What I like about this team there is not 1 or 2 key players to key on. If Wolf is the QB he is 6'4 200+ QB. He has a good arm and can run. In general they are playing better has a team. I may be wrong but thinking Warren is dead in these playoffs could prove to be an issue. They are still physical. I see a Warren vs. LWE quarter match up. Whether folks like it are not Warren is right there with the other 8A horses. Those 4-5 teams are an injury or a bad gane from getting bounced. For now the boys from six flags are still on the roller coaster until someone knocks them off. 🎢💯💪🏾

True but year in and year out that Naperville sectional in soccer is a death trap. Last I saw oswego and Naperville Central knotted at 0-0.

The people who call the NSC a weak conference know very little about it. Has it been a little down in recent years? Sure.

However, in the last ten years Stevenson won 8A, Warren lost in the 8A title game, Libertyville lost 7A title game, Lake Zurich lost 7A title game and Lake Forest lost 6A semifinals... that seems like pretty good depth to me.

Also, Richards and Lemont won their conferences, correct? And yet both lost this year to Libertyville (not one score games). Not saying Richards and Lemont were world-beaters this season but do you think there are a lot of conferences where the 5th-place finisher could knock off those two teams? I don't think too many.

Just because that one Warren fan is always on this forum saying "The NSC doesn't prepare us for 8A..." It doesn't mean the NSC is a weak conference. It's an old, tired narrative frankly. It didn't stop Stevenson from winning 8A.

But it is just as top heavy. Every year either NC or NN win the sectional.
While I agree it's top heavy, that's normally because NC and NN are two of the best programs in the country. Year in and year out, quality programs with success all year competing against state powers in other Regions are eliminated by those two schools.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT