ADVERTISEMENT

So who's already in trouble???

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
On our NBCSC Live hit yesterday we had a fact or fiction segment and I had listed both Naperville Central and Lake Zurich as "already" in trouble....I especially feel NC is in troubler since they have LW East, Pickerington Central (Ohio) plus East ST. Louis still on the schedule before hitting DVC play.

Who else could already be in trouble?

NC is the easy pick.

St Charles East had the biggest win in week 1 I think they now get to 5 wins and the playoffs, a loss to good Lemont team would have been a disaster.

JCA - with ICC coming up next they could be in a deep hole.
Agreed. An 0-2 start is very likely, and they still have Rice on the schedule. Beating Rice would be a major upset. They likely will need to win 5 of the remaining 6, which is still a tall order for a young team.

The optimist in me says not in trouble- but the realist thinks Stevenson might be in jeopardy of breaking the 30 year playoff streak. Possibly 0-2. Neuqua Valley looks stout.
In NSC, Warren looks like the creme of the conference. That's 3 losses. LZ? Major unknown right now. They too could start 0-2. Libertyville? Trending upwards. Lake Forest? Stellar. I see only 3 veritable wins - Waukegan, Mundelein, Zion; and Zion not always an easy out for Stevenson...

Not saying they are in trouble, but Maine South could be on a precipice. Tough loss last week. Their QB was hurt and his status is unknown. Mt. Carmel coming in Friday. Fremd the following week and an improved Palatine team the week after. The Hawks also still have games with New Trier and Evanston.

Reactions: MS4EVER
Not saying they are in trouble, but Maine South could be on a precipice. Tough loss last week. Their QB was hurt and his status is unknown. Mt. Carmel coming in Friday. Fremd the following week and an improved Palatine team the week after. The Hawks also still have games with New Trier and Evanston.
Looks like 3rd string Qb this week.

If central does not make the playoffs you have to give them props. With a schedule like that, They will be battle tested so the underclassmen should be amped for next year. Build on it.

Lol
Yeah I guess you can spin it that way but for the kids this year it’s a tuff to swallow and no guarantee it will help improve anything next year.

Agreed. An 0-2 start is very likely, and they still have Rice on the schedule. Beating Rice would be a major upset. They likely will need to win 5 of the remaining 6, which is still a tall order for a young team.

There is way too much talent on this year's squad to push the panic button after one game.
I have faith in the coaching staff and expect by 10/1 they will be rolling.

Reactions: USD24
There is way too much talent on this year's squad to push the panic button after one game.
I have faith in the coaching staff and expect by 10/1 they will be rolling.
Not pushing the panic button. Just acknowledging the difficulty of their schedule, especially the non-cons. I also have faith in the coaching staff, but IMO it's going to take a change in philosophy for this version of the Hilltoppers to fully realize their potential. This is not a team that fits the mold of a traditional JCA offense. They have offensive talent, but not a line-up-and-pound-it-at-the-defense type of team. Look at last week. Their one sustained scoring drive was while running the spread. They get the ball back down down 17-14 and return to the traditional offense, which did not work.

As I said in a prior thread, Jaws faces the classic coaching challenge. He does not have the type of talent to fit their traditional scheme. How much is he willing to tweak things to better utilize the talent he has?

Reactions: Gene K.
If central does not make the playoffs you have to give them props. With a schedule like that, They will be battle tested so the underclassmen should be amped for next year. Build on it.
As an East Aurora grad, that 89 basketball championship hurts.

Not pushing the panic button. Just acknowledging the difficulty of their schedule, especially the non-cons. I also have faith in the coaching staff, but IMO it's going to take a change in philosophy for this version of the Hilltoppers to fully realize their potential. This is not a team that fits the mold of a traditional JCA offense. They have offensive talent, but not a line-up-and-pound-it-at-the-defense type of team. Look at last week. Their one sustained scoring drive was while running the spread. They get the ball back down down 17-14 and return to the traditional offense, which did not work.

As I said in a prior thread, Jaws faces the classic coaching challenge. He does not have the type of talent to fit their traditional scheme. How much is he willing to tweak things to better utilize the talent he has?

Well, it is 2019 and someone needed to fill in for JCHILL of 2018.
Congratulations! ;-)

Well, it is 2019 and someone needed to fill in for JCHILL of 2018.
Congratulations! ;-)
I have confidence in the coaches to make the necessary adjustments. The Hilltoppers have another very tough opponent tonight. Analyzing the game and game strategy is all part of the fun, IMO, and the clock is ticking. You just don't have the luxury of taking too long to figure it out in football, which makes the games that much more compelling.

My takes......

Anderson looks good at rb. But his presence also tends to keep Mack off the field. I like Perez at fb, but maybe Mack can play some fb too because he is too good to keep off the field.

Not sure if Williams is a 20 carry guy. Would like to see him play some more wr and get him in space. That would allow Mack and Anderson to play rb and put biggest big play threat on the edge.

I like Washington at corner. But little Williams is now playing safety/slot corner Perhaps the bigger Washington is better suited for safety.

OL was biggest strength last year and needs time to gel this year. They will get there.

Defense has exceeded expectations so far. Really need to win next 2 games. I have faith they will get it done. Lots of pieces to play with.

My takes......

Anderson looks good at rb. But his presence also tends to keep Mack off the field. I like Perez at fb, but maybe Mack can play some fb too because he is too good to keep off the field.

Not sure if Williams is a 20 carry guy. Would like to see him play some more wr and get him in space. That would allow Mack and Anderson to play rb and put biggest big play threat on the edge.

I like Washington at corner. But little Williams is now playing safety/slot corner Perhaps the bigger Washington is better suited for safety.

OL was biggest strength last year and needs time to gel this year. They will get there.

Defense has exceeded expectations so far. Really need to win next 2 games. I have faith they will get it done. Lots of pieces to play with.
I'm optimistic as well. They made a few personnel moves last night that helped the offense, IMO. Brought another soph up on the O-line at LT, which moved Mac Oconnel back to TE. Anderson is very good. I wonder if Mack could play some TE. Most of the plays he's made the last few years have been in the passing game. I think he would upgrade the blocking at that position as well. I also like Voss' athleticism at QB. The offense is a work-in-progress, but it's improving. The next two weeks are huge. Their backs are against the wall, but they've been there before.

This is the fastest defense they've had in years. IMO, they've played well the last few weeks. They were on the field a lot in the 1st half and seemed to wear down some in the 2nd half.

It's a very young team. 7 sophs saw significant time last night. The future is very bright. The coaches are searching offensively and have found some things. Hopefully, they can find a way to get to five wins this year.

I'm optimistic as well. They made a few personnel moves last night that helped the offense, IMO. Brought another soph up on the O-line at LT, which moved Mac Oconnel back to TE. Anderson is very good. I wonder if Mack could play some TE. Most of the plays he's made the last few years have been in the passing game. I think he would upgrade the blocking at that position as well. I also like Voss' athleticism at QB. The offense is a work-in-progress, but it's improving. The next two weeks are huge. Their backs are against the wall, but they've been there before.

This is the fastest defense they've had in years. IMO, they've played well the last few weeks. They were on the field a lot in the 1st half and seemed to wear down some in the 2nd half.

It's a very young team. 7 sophs saw significant time last night. The future is very bright. The coaches are searching offensively and have found some things. Hopefully, they can find a way to get to five wins this year.

I saw a lot of improvement in the Hilltoppers schemes and execution.

The Defense looks very good and will only get better. IC dug themselves out of a few holes by effectively throwing screens into 3rd –and-long blitzes, almost like they knew the blitzes were coming. The QB keepers hurt too. Those will likely be reviewed and cleaned up.

Offensively, the Q3 ground game scoring drive was certainly a shot in the arm. The OL is developing. The backs that keep their legs moving at and during contact were the ones getting the ball most last night. The backs need to be patient and let the lead blockers get in front of them to do their jobs and clear the holes. That too will come with repetition. Voss has a very good pocket presence and has a nice touch on his passes: He is doing incredibly well for a Soph who played less than half of his Freshman season (injury) on the Frosh level.

Next week’s opponent is St. Laurence, who has won handily against CPS Hyde Park & Blue Island Eisenhower. Beyond their 2-0 record, IMHO I do not believe their level of competition revealed very much about the Vikings.

The week after it is Fenwick who defeated CPS Upper Tier Curie and plays CPS Dunbar today. As with St. Laurence, IMHO I do not believe their level of competition revealed/will reveal very much about the Friars.

Our boys have seen live-fire in their first two games and it will pay off. They have to (and will) get to 5 wins and I see 6 as realistic. IMHO, if David’s rock hits Goliath just right, 7 could be possible.

Reactions: pjjp

The Defense looks very good and will only get better. IC dug themselves out of a few holes by effectively throwing screens into 3rd –and-long blitzes, almost like they knew the blitzes were coming. The QB keepers hurt too. Those will likely be reviewed and cleaned up.

Offensively, the Q3 ground game scoring drive was certainly a shot in the arm. The OL is developing. The backs that keep their legs moving at and during contact were the ones getting the ball most last night. The backs need to be patient and let the lead blockers get in front of them to do their jobs and clear the holes. That too will come with repetition. Voss has a very good pocket presence and has a nice touch on his passes: He is doing incredibly well for a Soph who played less than half of his Freshman season (injury) on the Frosh level.

Next week’s opponent is St. Laurence, who has won handily against CPS Hyde Park & Blue Island Eisenhower. Beyond their 2-0 record, IMHO I do not believe their level of competition revealed very much about the Vikings.

The week after it is Fenwick who defeated CPS Upper Tier Curie and plays CPS Dunbar today. As with St. Laurence, IMHO I do not believe their level of competition revealed/will reveal very much about the Friars.

Our boys have seen live-fire in their first two games and it will pay off. They have to (and will) get to 5 wins and I see 6 as realistic. IMHO, if David’s rock hits Goliath just right, 7 could be possible.

Yep JC should be fine. Absolutely have to beat Laurence or Fenwick and realistically it would be best to win both to hopefully avoid a week 9 play in game. The improvement they should make because of these two games will be the difference and it seems they are largely healthy which is huge.

Also like the idea mentioned above about Mack playing some TE. He made big plays in pass game last year. Just want to see him on the field and they have 4 capable backs.

I personally don’t think they are going to be within throwing distance of the mighty Phillistine.

I personally don’t think they are going to be within throwing distance of the mighty Phillistine.

I don’t believe anyone in Hilltopper Nation is thinking that they will have a little more than puncher’s chance, but a chance nonetheless.

After last night's loss to Richards, Rita will be favored in two games: Northside Marian and Southside Marian. Underdog in three games: LA-Bronco-PC. Pick'em in two games: Benet and ND.

After last night's loss to Richards, Rita will be favored in two games: Northside Marian and Southside Marian. Underdog in three games: LA-Bronco-PC. Pick'em in two games: Benet and ND.

Why underdog v provi. They have strong group. I don’t think pc is nowhere near Rita at this point. But I don’t know what pc had coming back. All I know is Rita is capable of beating pc Brent for sure gotta stay with game plan from last nite. Nd coming off big out of state win can propel them with lots of confidence

Naper Central, Stevie, and JCA all 0-2. Is the unbelievable Stevie playoff run over? NC and JCA still have some very tough matchups to fight through.

NC has a brutal schedule. I feel for those kids because they are actually a good team. It’s almost not fair with the schedule they have.

NC has a brutal schedule. I feel for those kids because they are actually a good team. It’s almost not fair with the schedule they have.
That they do. East Side, Pick Town, and the DVC yet to come.

Why underdog v provi. They have strong group. I don’t think pc is nowhere near Rita at this point. But I don’t know what pc had coming back. All I know is Rita is capable of beating pc Brent for sure gotta stay with game plan from last nite. Nd coming off big out of state win can propel them with lots of confidence

I feel this way because at this point PC is rated in Edgy's Top 30 whereas Cascia is not. I am not 100% sure at this point because SR/PC doesn't play until later in the season, but Edgy will probably have PC as the favorite over Rita. PC beat SR last year and would've the prior year if not for that amazing and unreal comeback. It seems as though PC has Rita's number over the last few years.

I just don't want any injuries after the LA game.

Reactions: go dogz
Marist is a Rice loss away from joining this list with MC, Naz and Loyola left.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT