ADVERTISEMENT

So Who's #1? And why?

Well of course you would with JJ having surgery to repair his thumb today. Still cant believe he went out there and performed and a high level with a break on his throwing hand.
to me its more that Naz had the overall better season, but I think Loyola is playing the best ball right now. LA had 3 recent wins I would consider better than Naz's best win.

IC beat JCA
JCA beat Montini
Montini beat LA

then IC should be ranked over LA

---

Every team has one bad game. LA had 3 of them.

Naz is clearly #1 with great wins over Batavia and SCN.

Naz is playing up 2 classes over its original enrollment level something LA will never do.
**because naz smoked bat, drilled scn, and scn just barely squeaked by mc

then in reality, you saying 7a, was just not really up to par this year. which could be argued rationally. and honestly you can argue that cg could have won 7a pretty handily and having a stellar game v naz in the finals.
you have to consider the entire season, but weight the final games accordingly.
la
br
naz - #3 because they did play an 8a team and lost.
cg
jca
ic
crete/montini -gcms-forreston-monticello
scn - only because I see crete/montini beating and smoking scn.

then you go with your other finals champs.
you can even make arguments for the other 3 finalists before crete/montini.
then you trickle down your semi finalists. absolutely NO semifinalist team should ever crack the top 16 spots ever. **SIMPLY BECAUSE THEY LOST** no one 10yrs from now or tomorrow cares how or why. the records simply show a loss.
yes, arguments can be made for all of the teams.
but, unless the finalist played you have NO idea.
honestly br should be #1 as according to most, they just had one bad game and Loyola had 3, and they literally dominated the entire season. every team, every game.

then in reality, you saying 7a, was just not really up to par this year. which could be argued rationally. and honestly you can argue that cg could have won 7a pretty handily and having a stellar game v naz in the finals.
la
br
cg
jca
ic

then you trickle down your semi finalists. absolutely NO semifinalist team should ever crack the top 16 spots ever. **SIMPLY BECAUSE THEY LOST** no one 10yrs from now or tomorrow cares how or why. the records simply show a loss.
honestly br should be #1 as according to most, they just had one bad game and Loyola had 3, and they literally dominated the entire season. every team, every game.
So the 1A runner up beats LWE?
Surely you dont believe this.

la
br
cg
jca
ic

So did Nazareth... and WEEKS ago, not last week.

But to each their own

Do tell, I missed it. His kid is at LA right?
He loved up Naz. Said it was the best team he saw this weekend, ‘Nazareth, they got a bunch of animals, man.’

His son is a Soph and starts for Loyola. He also was very critical of the IHSA. Said it was bs parents couldn’t see their kids until 3 hours after the game.

So the 1A runner up beats LWE?
Surely you dont believe this.

not saying they beat anybody. and no one can. because if they play the game, maybe they do. all I am saying is according to finals these 16 teams that played this past weekend ARE THE BEST.
not saying it stays that way after week1 next year. but, to start the year damn straight.
every team in the semi finals could be beat and were.
lwe very good team honestly, but I see the dogz beating them
naz/cg definitely beating them. just because of matchups.
and I know you are going to say they had the best defense an smoked teams all year.
to me that does not go against matchups. I do not see them matching up against these two teams very well.
naz beats them just because of the big play aspect of their game, and their dominate defensive line play.
cg beats them just because they pound yards and keep their offense off the field.
they simply matchup and execute well against them.
but in NO WAY does lwe crack the top 16. they can be 17 if you want.
for me, if you get in the playoffs, you have to play whichever team is in front of you. and if you win, you advance. if you lose, you watch it on tv just like everybody else.
and this just because they are in 8a is crap. as we have seen through out the season and playoffs, we see teams that are smaller beating teams in higher classes. 5a/6a estl made it to qtrs., in 7a.
but, I can see your point if 8a meant the biggest most competitive class:
(meaning ALL TEAMS ranked 1-64 8a)
7a(65-129) 6a(130-194),5a(195-259),4a(260-324),3a(325-389),2a(390-454),1a(455-519) and each game weighted with how and who you schedule from each class.

Last edited:
He loved up Naz. Said it was the best team he saw this weekend, ‘Nazareth, they got a bunch of animals, man.’

His son is a Soph and starts for Loyola. He also was very critical of the IHSA. Said it was bs parents couldn’t see their kids until 3 hours after the game.
I just saw his twitter. Not a happy dad.

[QUOTE="refref01, post: 187595, member: 5807"

Still hate how home field works in IHSA and how it penalizes teams. It's the reason LWE lost.

Your team played poorly. Home field didn't make any real difference. You should be embarrassed to post something this juvenile.[/QUOTE]

A lot of state champions I’m last 10 years had semifinal games on the road . If your good team you can win anywhere .

HS football,

They don't have to compete for kids like all the private schools in the western burbs.

What about the south side? MC, BR, SR, and Marist fight for the same kids. MC even gets kids from Providence's area. Add DLS to the mix.

I agree that LA is number 1. However, Nazareth shouldn't be penalized so badly for the Marist loss if LA gets 3 losses, including the doozy against Rice.

I will say that Nazareth played in 7A, while so many of the suburban Catholic schools were down in 5A or 4A.

Voodoo,

Loyola also lost by 32 points to BR with a healthy QB. They also lost to MC and Montini.

I even made a case LA should not be ranked above IC.

No team with 3 losses should be ranked #1 overall.

All I can say is I have seen both teams and would take Naz over LA in head to head competition.
LA QB was not healthy in any of those loses

The BEAST will always be number 1 to me, but I agree with the final tally. Great Season everyone. Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year!

Reactions: Bowie50 and Gene K.
godogz: I agree with your reasoning regarding the semi-finals - but only if the IHSA tourny were properly seeded.
Let's try this: If we had a 16-team tourny composed of the top 16 ranked (Maxpreps week 13)
We would have:
1 BR v 16 Sim
8 Bat 9 HF
4 Mar 13 ESL
5 LA 12 W
2 LWE 15 NC
7 MS 10 MC
3 Naz 14 SCN
6 CG 11 MCHS

If we took the semifinalists 5A-8A, seeded them properly, we'd have:
1 BR 16 Sterling
8 MC 9 MCHS
4 Mar 13 HLR
5 LA 12 ND
2 LWE 15 Hlcrst
7 Bat 10 SCN
3 Naz 14 JC
6 CG 11 CM

Given each, what semifinals would you see?

Interesting to note, IC was the lone 4A. Would they have beat anyone in this field?

Reactions: Bowie50
godogz: I agree with your reasoning regarding the semi-finals - but only if the IHSA tourny were properly seeded.
Let's try this: If we had a 16-team tourny composed of the top 16 ranked (Maxpreps week 13)
We would have:
1 BR v 16 Sim
8 Bat 9 HF
4 Mar 13 ESL
5 LA 12 W
2 LWE 15 NC
7 MS 10 MC
3 Naz 14 SCN
6 CG 11 MCHS

1 BR 16 Sterling
8 MC 9 MCHS
4 Mar 13 HLR
5 LA 12 ND
2 LWE 15 Hlcrst
7 Bat 10 SCN
3 Naz 14 JC
6 CG 11 CM

yes, absolutely need to rank and seed them properly. and I believe that they had already beat jca during the season, so yes I could see them being very competitive with any of these teams in a playoff game situation. v16, 8, 9, 13, 2, 15, 7, 10, 14, 11. the only ones I do not see them being competitive with would be br, mar, naz, & cg.

We would have:
1 BR v 16 Sim
8 Bat 9 HF
4 Mar 13 ESL
5 LA 12 W
2 LWE 15 NC
7 MS 10 MC
3 Naz 14 SCN
6 CG 11 MCHS

1 BR 16 Sterling
8 MC 9 MCHS
4 Mar 13 HLR
5 LA 12 ND
2 LWE 15 Hlcrst
7 Bat 10 SCN
3 Naz 14 JC
6 CG 11 CM

Given each, what semifinals would you see?

Interesting to note, IC was the lone 4A. Would they have beat anyone in this field?
Um, I think they beat JCA 42-0 earlier in the year.

Reactions: ignazio
No team with 3 losses would ever be playing in the college football fnal 4 playoffs.

The only clear #1 team overall this year is Naz.

Yet Naz lost a game, and not a very close one, and there are others who did not lose a game and who beat some very good teams along the way this season, so “clearly??”

There is never a clear number 1 and will never be a clear number 1. High school football is all about matchups. SCN showed you that this year when the coach was excited about his draw. There is at least one or two teams that can beat EVERY TEAM in the state. The question is will you see that team in the playoffs or not.

There is never a clear number 1 and will never be a clear number 1. High school football is all about matchups. SCN showed you that this year when the coach was excited about his draw. There is at least one or two teams that can beat EVERY TEAM in the state. The question is will you see that team in the playoffs or not.

Or will that team have an off night. Where things or just not going right. Can happen

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT