ADVERTISEMENT

So who wins the 2017 DuPage Valley conference?

Hi BigJohn

To my knowledge everyone is eligible. But I'm not "in the know" with anything like that and I am just an outside observer/fan.

As far as specific player personnel goes - I try and stay away from commenting on things like that even though I do have opinions and it's obvious that I like to play armchair coach from the stands and from the forum Lol!! Furthermore I have kids still in the program for a couple more years and as such I couldnt be viewed as being totally objective anyways due to that pesky fact.

Most of the coaches know me and know my screen name and I try to never say anything on the board that I wouldn't say in a face to face conversation. And I definitely wouldn't want to presume to tell them who I think should play. I kinda look at it this way,... I wouldn't want them to try and tell me how to do my job and I know the reverse is true as well.

Now having said all that, My armchair commentary after watching the game live and some of the film.

Offensively: There were some missed opportunities that should sort itself out in practice from game 1 to game 2. A few typical first game things like dropped balls that normally don't happen, some overthrown balls, some missed assignments between the Oline on pass protection calls/assignments. And run blocking schemes Etc.

Defensively: I think WV found a good rotation in the interior of the DLine. LP for the most part struggled to run between the tackles BUT I don't think running between the tackles was their plan for the WV game based on the film of the game I saw. LP's Oline strength seemed to be at the tackles and not inside with the center/guards and I think they game planned to focus on the Edge to try and play to their strength. It was interesting that other parts of the WV DLine didn't have a similiar rotation as the interior. Maybe the big boys in the interior need more rest to be fresh than the guys on the outside? LP focused on running outside and did a lot of bubble screen type stuff. They did throw it deep a few times and also some long developing 20 yard out route type stuff. On those long developing pass routes it's key to get some semi consistent pressure on the QB from the front 4. The Oline can only double one guy and it's usually one of the interior guys. This leaves one DT and two DE's one on one with an olineman (need one of them to win fairly consistently to pull pass blocking attention and RBs/TE's their way etc) The LP QB is good, but so is NC's NN etc etc in upcoming matchups.

Thanks. I agree I'm the same with Oswego. Have a boy on the team, so I understand.

I was just curious since my nephew is on the freshman team at WV. Just surprised they lost .

Good luck next week

Thanks. I agree I'm the same with Oswego. Have a boy on the team, so I understand.

I was just curious since my nephew is on the freshman team at WV. Just surprised they lost .

Good luck next week

Good luck to you and Oswego as well next week! Oswego is always a good team and they look particularly tough again this year!

I really miss the non con games WV and Oswego had running back in 2014 and earlier before all the conference changes. It's really too bad those games couldn't continue somehow. They were always great games that would go back and forth! Maybe someday the window of opportunity will open to renew the series!

Reactions: BigJohn34
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT