ADVERTISEMENT

So who wins the 2017 DuPage Valley conference?

Should be a very interesting year since there is no clear cut favorite but I'll go with WV since they return the most from a wildly inconsistent team last year. If they can eliminate the bad games they will be tough. I know a lot of people are picking NC and GBN but I just don't see it. GBN will have very good defense but will struggle to score and with all the new moving parts NC will struggle to have an identity.

My dark house is NV they just have so much talent in the program so in any given year they can put together a great team.

My homer pick is WWS they blew leads in the 4th quarter leads in three games last year primarily due to a terrible defense. This year they dumped the new defense they played last year and have gone back to what they have ran the previous 25 years. If and its a big if they are able to fix the defense watch out since they may have the best offense in the DVC.

Reactions: atsirabb
A little bias but I'm going with GBN. We will have one of the most explosive offense in the state this yr. The defense will be one of the better in the state also! As for the rankings it seems that Edgy has GBN finishing 4th or 5th in the DVC that's a big mistake, #10 NC will lose by at lease 14 you heard it here first!

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
A little bias but I'm going with GBN. We will have one of the most explosive offense in the state this yr. The defense will be one of the better in the state also! As for the rankings it seems that Edgy has GBN finishing 4th or 5th in the DVC that's a big mistake, #10 NC will lose by at lease 14 you heard it here first!

That's going to be a good game 1 to kick off the year for both GBN!! and NC!! Talk about Conference Title implications right out of the gate yikes!

Reactions: Ben_ Henderson
I'm biased also - and I'm picking WV. I think they might be taking a page out of the MS playbook from last year and a couple more guys in addition to Chuck might be seeing and/or eventually see some time on both sides of the ball. If that comes to fruition,.. they could be very tough this year..

GBN - Everyone knows they will be running the ball - the question is - how has their passing attack developed over the summer? Can it be effective enough to uncrowd the box? If they take down NC and WV in weeks 1 and 2 - they would have the inside track to the conference title.

Basically - I think if one of three teams (NC or GBN or WV) is undefeated after week 4 - there lies the favorite for the conference title!

My Dark horse pick is WWS. Nice offense as people have mentioned. If they find a Dline - they could be a tough out.

Who is the QB for GBN?

I also like WV. Not seeing what Ben is seeing with GBN's offense. They will be in a lot of close games IMO. WWS has a nice QB and receivers but what about their line (s)? NN might be over-rated with too many key loses. NC will be very tough with that RB and big receivers. WN has probably the best backfield in the DVC but no one is talking about it. Is everyone overlooking Neuqua? It will be a war every week. Every game. Super physical!

I also like WV. Not seeing what Ben is seeing with GBN's offense. They will be in a lot of close games IMO. WWS has a nice QB and receivers but what about their line (s)? NN might be over-rated with too many key loses. NC will be very tough with that RB and big receivers. WN has probably the best backfield in the DVC but no one is talking about it. Is everyone overlooking Neuqua? It will be a war every week. Every game. Super physical!

Im very very interested to see how the Week 1 war of Wheaton goes! If WN comes out on top then I'm switching my dark horse pick to North!

Neuqua lost 16+ starters to Graduation. I know they have 4000 kids to draw from - but I think it's a tough ask for them to be in the mix for the title. I could be wrong.... I guess we will find out in due time! I do think they will get better and better as the season grinds on and all the new starters get more experience. They could be a wild card IF they make it into the playoffs.

NC and WV, with Neuqua and GN close behind. On paper WV looks like the favorite, but they underachieved last year (had high expectations last year too). NC has the talent and the coaching plus two impact transfers. Gotta go with the Redhawks. The two Wheaton schools claim that they can't compete with the larger schools (thus leaving DVC) so I expect them to lay down for the Valley schools. BTW... football numbers for NN and NC as follows:

Varsity: NN 69 NC 66
Sophs: NN 34 NC 59
Frosh: NN 51 NC 45

Ten years ago we had 90 frosh, 60 sophs, and 90 varsity on a regular basis.

The two Wheaton schools claim that they can't compete with the larger schools (thus leaving DVC) so I expect them to lay down for the Valley schools.

Shots Fired! Lol... Aaaah the end of the DVC will make this a most interesting year for sure!

Yeah If the enrollment discrepancy is too much of a delta for them.. and they want to bolt a year early (you know safety and all)..... As a fan,...I would totally be ok with the forfit wins!!

PS. I bet Both WWS and WN will end up having more numbers on their varsity squad than WV and MV do. WV is only a couple hundred kids more than the Wheaton's. I m hearing WV varsity somewhere in the 50's numbers wise?

Shots Fired! Lol... Aaaah the end of the DVC will make this a most interesting year for sure!

Yeah If the enrollment discrepancy is too much of a delta for them.. and they want to bolt a year early (you know safety and all)..... As a fan,...I would totally be ok with the forfit wins!!

PS. I bet Both WWS and WN will end up having more numbers on their varsity squad than WV and MV do. WV is only a couple hundred kids more than the Wheaton's. I m hearing WV varsity somewhere in the 50's numbers wise?

I'm thinking WV wins a very tough conference. GBN right behind. WV has potential player of the year. Concern is Can the O line hold up?

D has some players, Lee and Robinson. A transfer seems to be getting some buzz.

GBN D vs WV O = must see !

NC will have a great O, not sure about the D. Redhawks might need to put up 30+ points to win.

NV may have lost a lot of starters, they still have talent. could sneak up on teams.

NN. my co-worker kid plays on varsity. They have high expectations.

BigJohn

In the series finale of the DVC I think I'll ride with *drumroll* I don't know. If I'm told a team is inconsistent it's hard to pick them, but it's also hard to pick a team that will reportedly struggle offensively.

I'm tempted to pick NV or NC since they have Bolingbrook kids, or perhaps go old school and choose WWS or NN (hard to believe this series is coming to an end). Is it too late to make up?

I understand if you have not seen them! Come to carol stream Friday night and check it out

I don't know what everyone seeing in NC, they where 4-5 last year and lost 9 of the 11 starters on D. On the offensive side of the ball besides AJ and the two transfers don't think that's enough. Don't overlook NN they have the best QB in the conference and it's not even close

Reactions: Anomalyout28
Outside of MV every other team in the conference has a chance at winning it. I don't see anyone in the conference finishing better then 7-2, you will have a log jam of teams with records between 7-2 and 4-5.

It will make week 9 of the season very interesting.

I don't know what everyone seeing in NC, they where 4-5 last year and lost 9 of the 11 starters on D. On the offensive side of the ball besides AJ and the two transfers don't think that's enough. Don't overlook NN they have the best QB in the conference and it's not even close
Ben... NC killed it last year at the frosh and soph levels plus the seniors-to-be are also excellent. Last year was an aberration. Three strong classes with great coaching is a winning formula IMO.

That's a stretch. "NN best QB in the DVC - not even close" He played on a small (350 students) school 1A team, not in the DVC. It'd be nice to see but let's not get the cart before the husky...

That's a stretch. "NN best QB in the DVC - not even close" He played on a small (350 students) school 1A team, not in the DVC. It'd be nice to see but let's not get the cart before the husky...
I've watched Drake Davis for the last 3yrs with him and my son Tyrik Henderson led boom to a national championship in club 7v7! Small school or not the kid is a football player and it will show soon

Reactions: atsirabb
I've watched Drake Davis for the last 3yrs with him and my son Tyrik Henderson led boom to a national championship in club 7v7! Small school or not the kid is a football player and it will show soon
It'd be nice to see him have a great season before and after they play WWS :) . I watched your son play a few times, he's great competitor and congrats on the U of MN/PJ Fleck commit. I believe, Coach Fleck is the new style of college coach and is light-years ahead of his peers and will turn the Big10 on it's ear in short order... just my opinion.

Reactions: FalconPadre
It'd be nice to see him have a great season before and after they play WWS :) . I watched your son play a few times, he's great competitor and congrats on the U of MN/PJ Fleck commit. I believe, Coach Fleck is the new style of college coach and is light-years ahead of his peers and will turn the Big10 on it's ear in short order... just my opinion.

Light years ahead of Harbaugh and Meyer? I think that might be a little bit of a stretch.

Thank you for the kind words. I believe the same thing B1G west champs this yr

NC and WV, with Neuqua and GN close behind. On paper WV looks like the favorite, but they underachieved last year (had high expectations last year too). NC has the talent and the coaching plus two impact transfers. Gotta go with the Redhawks. The two Wheaton schools claim that they can't compete with the larger schools (thus leaving DVC) so I expect them to lay down for the Valley schools. BTW... football numbers for NN and NC as follows:

Varsity: NN 69 NC 66
Sophs: NN 34 NC 59
Frosh: NN 51 NC 45

Ten years ago we had 90 frosh, 60 sophs, and 90 varsity on a regular basis.

Hah we will see who is laying down during wrestling season...

Everyone is hyping Drake Davis based off his Boom results but that's a different game. I expect him to have a very good season and prove to be the best QB in conference but to say it isn't close is a little silly at this point. He hasn't proved a whole lot on an actual football field as far as I'm concerned. He played small school ball, didn't lead his team very far and didn't put up numbers you'd expect of a superstar. With that said, I fully expect him to rise to the occasion.

Reactions: jwarigaku
The kid has 74 highschool varsity touchdowns and last year had 33 touchdowns while also having 84 tackles and 6 int as safety. The difference will be what can he do with only playing one side of the ball. His numbers are as good as any other qb in the state. He also has one of the best offensive coordinators in football right now. Will be a great season in DVC regardless. Football games are never about one kid best team will win.

Reactions: Ben_ Henderson
Everyone is hyping Drake Davis based off his Boom results but that's a different game. I expect him to have a very good season and prove to be the best QB in conference but to say it isn't close is a little silly at this point. He hasn't proved a whole lot on an actual football field as far as I'm concerned. He played small school ball, didn't lead his team very far and didn't put up numbers you'd expect of a superstar. With that said, I fully expect him to rise to the occasion.
If our O-line gets the job done, he will be successful. As we all know... a great QB can't be effective if he's running for his life and has no time to throw. It all starts on the line of scrimmage. Hopefully we can block for him.

Should be a very interesting year since there is no clear cut favorite but I'll go with WV since they return the most from a wildly inconsistent team last year. If they can eliminate the bad games they will be tough. I know a lot of people are picking NC and GBN but I just don't see it. GBN will have very good defense but will struggle to score and with all the new moving parts NC will struggle to have an identity.

My dark house is NV they just have so much talent in the program so in any given year they can put together a great team.

My homer pick is WWS they blew leads in the 4th quarter leads in three games last year primarily due to a terrible defense. This year they dumped the new defense they played last year and have gone back to what they have ran the previous 25 years. If and its a big if they are able to fix the defense watch out since they may have the best offense in the DVC.

They do have a ton of talent but I'm not sure their OL or DL will be up to the standard they have set the last few years. The talent is there but in this conference you need experience. Hopefully they will gel as the year goes on.

Drake Davis must be super man if Peyton Thorne isn't close to him.

His act will only last so long if he does not get results. The B10 west is weak but I can't see him leapfrogging Wisconsin, Nebraska, Iowa and northwestern anytime soon.

They do have a ton of talent but I'm not sure their OL or DL will be up to the standard they have set the last few years. The talent is there but in this conference you need experience. Hopefully they will gel as the year goes on.

Brother-in-law told me about the LP-WV shocker. DL for WV did not play very well, zero contain from DE's on the edge all game. They better find a solution or this conference will eat them up. O will score, can D hold them?

Different note, I attended the Oswego game. These boys are big and tough, look for them to make noise.

Brother-in-law told me about the LP-WV shocker. DL for WV did not play very well, zero contain from DE's on the edge all game. They better find a solution or this conference will eat them up. O will score, can D hold them?

Different note, I attended the Oswego game. These boys are big and tough, look for them to make noise.

You are spot on BigJohn - I was at the game. I would imagine some adjustments will be made.

The Edge is one thing and maybe it's a team specific to rectify - but the other is with all the Good QBs in the conference....it will also be necessary to generate a semi consistent pass rush with just the front 4 (while maintaining Edge discpline which is a Tough task I'm guessing!) But If not,then teams like NC, NN, LP, WV etc etc are going to shread teams thru the air and it's going to be shootout after shootout.

Edit - I am truly shocked at the score of the Glenbard North and Naperville Central game. I'm not shocked NC won - but am shocked at how one sided the score was. Did turnovers tilt it to that kind of a blowout?

Last edited:
Voodoo,

If you were shocked by the NC/GN score you better tune into the MS/GW game!

You are spot on BigJohn - I was at the game. I would imagine some adjustments will be made.

The Edge is one thing and maybe it's a team specific to rectify - but the other is with all the Good QBs in the conference....it will also be necessary to generate a semi consistent pass rush with just the front 4 (while maintaining Edge discpline which is a Tough task I'm guessing!) But If not,then teams like NC, NN, LP, WV etc etc are going to shread teams thru the air and it's going to be shootout after shootout.

Edit - I am truly shocked at the score of the Glenbard North and Naperville Central game. I'm not shocked NC won - but am shocked at how one sided the score was. Did turnovers tilt it to that kind of a blowout?

Voodoo,

If you were shocked by the NC/GN score you better tune into the MS/GW game!

I'm struggling with that one as well!! Wow 35 points and it's not even halftime.

Another high scoring game... but it's not a total blowout yet. Only 3 scores down now and GW offense is explosive.

I like that Pierce receiver! He might end up with 200 yards this game in a potential shootout!!

42-14 now. I couldn't believe the balls Chris Rolle had to go from 2 last night and set the tone for WV's final poession. I truly believe Murph will get things sorted out this week.

I'm struggling with that one as well!! Wow 35 points and it's not even halftime.

Another high scoring game... but it's not a total blowout yet. Only 3 scores down now and GW offense is explosive.

I like that Pierce receiver! He might end up with 200 yards this game in a potential shootout!!

42-14 now. I couldn't believe the balls Chris Rolle had to go from 2 last night and set the tone for WV's final poession. I truly believe Murph will get things sorted out this week.

They had nothing to lose - why not go for it? Two fake punts (both scussessful) and you knew the 2nd one was coming based on their "let no stone be unturned" approach to the game. They were defiantly not going to play it safe anywhere in that game based on theiR prior decisions throughout the game.

They are a good team and their gambles paid off. I give them kudos for that!!

Yup. Just one game. A few adjustments and turn the focus to next opponent. What made me the most nervous was the inconsistent pass rush without blitzing and also the outside contain on Running and passing plays.

They had nothing to lose - why not go for it? Two fake punts (both scussessful) and you knew the 2nd one was coming based on their "let no stone be unturned" approach to the game. They were defiantly not going to play it safe anywhere in that game based on theiR prior decisions throughout the game.

They are a good team and their gambles paid off. I give them kudos for that!!

Yup. Just one game. A few adjustments and turn the focus to next opponent. What made me the most nervous was the inconsistent pass rush without blitzing and also the outside contain on Running and passing plays.

If you can't control the edge, you can't win. Right, only first game but changes should be made this week.

You seem to a have a pulse about WV, I thought WV got a really good transfer on D did he play? Is he eligible?

NC right now looks like the frontrunners. This could change every week.

If you can't control the edge, you can't win. Right, only first game but changes should be made this week.

You seem to a have a pulse about WV, I thought WV got a really good transfer on D did he play? Is he eligible?

NC right now looks like the frontrunners. This could change every week.

Hi BigJohn

To my knowledge everyone is eligible. But I'm not "in the know" with anything like that and I am just an outside observer/fan.

As far as specific player personnel goes - I try and stay away from commenting on things like that even though I do have opinions and it's obvious that I like to play armchair coach from the stands and from the forum Lol!! Furthermore I have kids still in the program for a couple more years and as such I couldnt be viewed as being totally objective anyways due to that pesky fact.

Most of the coaches know me and know my screen name and I try to never say anything on the board that I wouldn't say in a face to face conversation. And I definitely wouldn't want to presume to tell them who I think should play. I kinda look at it this way,... I wouldn't want them to try and tell me how to do my job and I know the reverse is true as well.

Now having said all that, My armchair commentary after watching the game live and some of the film.

Offensively: There were some missed opportunities that should sort itself out in practice from game 1 to game 2. A few typical first game things like dropped balls that normally don't happen, some overthrown balls, some missed assignments between the Oline on pass protection calls/assignments. And run blocking schemes Etc.

Defensively: I think WV found a good rotation in the interior of the DLine. LP for the most part struggled to run between the tackles BUT I don't think running between the tackles was their plan for the WV game based on the film of the game I saw. LP's Oline strength seemed to be at the tackles and not inside with the center/guards and I think they game planned to focus on the Edge to try and play to their strength. It was interesting that other parts of the WV DLine didn't have a similiar rotation as the interior. Maybe the big boys in the interior need more rest to be fresh than the guys on the outside? LP focused on running outside and did a lot of bubble screen type stuff. They did throw it deep a few times and also some long developing 20 yard out route type stuff. On those long developing pass routes it's key to get some semi consistent pressure on the QB from the front 4. The Oline can only double one guy and it's usually one of the interior guys. This leaves one DT and two DE's one on one with an olineman (need one of them to win fairly consistently to pull pass blocking attention and RBs/TE's their way etc) The LP QB is good, but so is NC's NN etc etc in upcoming matchups.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT