ADVERTISEMENT

Snow games

What was the best Illinois high school game you saw while it was snowing?

Montini - Prairie Ridge was insane. Broncos wanted to move the game up to try and beat the snow but PR (wearing all white and mostly running) wanted to stick with the start time. Definitely some gamesmanship by PR, which was a smart play. MCHS wound up winning in a crazy game where at times you couldn’t see the action from more than 25 yards away and even inside that it was a blur.

Samson and the crew would win 2 in a row following that loss and if I remember won 28 in a row over that span.

Video:

Last edited:
Montini - Prairie Ridge was insane. Broncos wanted to move the game up to try and beat the snow but PR (wearing all white and mostly running) wanted to stick with the start time. Definitely some gamesmanship by PR, which was a smart play. MCHS wound up winning in a crazy game where at times you couldn’t see the action from more than 25 yards away and even inside that it was a blur.

Samson and the crew would win 2 in a row following that loss and if I remember won 28 in a row over that span.

Video:

I was there and that's my choice as well....

Reactions: mchsalumni
2000 Lincoln Way @ MS semifinal

Hawks down late in the fourth quarter needing a TD to get to OT. As the snow starts to fall Hawks WR Tony Traynor finds a way to get open and scores a TD. Hawks win in OT!! State Title #2 the following weekend. I believe it was the day I fell in love with MSFB.

Reactions: WIU78

Hawks down late in the fourth quarter needing a TD to get to OT. As the snow starts to fall Hawks WR Tony Traynor finds a way to get open and scores a TD. Hawks win in OT!! State Title #2 the following weekend. I believe it was the day I fell in love with MSFB.

Ball hit the cross bar and my feet are still frozen.

Reactions: MS4EVER
Libertyville at BBCHS in 2015, Libertyville won on the last play of the game on a play in which one official called TD, the other said down short of the goal line.. So much snow on the field they had no clue if it was a TD or not.. I know a Boiler fan that was on the field at the end on the field doing their stats and said he was at least a yard short..

Libertyville at BBCHS in 2015, Libertyville won on the last play of the game on a play in which one official called TD, the other said down short of the goal line.. So much snow on the field they had no clue if it was a TD or not.. I know a Boiler fan that was on the field at the end on the field doing their stats and said he was at least a yard short..
I was there. Very exciting finish!!! Lees was in!

I was NOT at Glenbard West & C-G but always thought this looked downright awful...

My vote was 2015 GW v CG. I was there (trivia answer, it was not at GW or CG because of Duchon's condition, the game was played at Glenbard South) and it was awful, it was a 25mph relentless south wind, the snow never stopped and the teams were both great to awesome. In the end it, was Brodner, 2 TDs, 269 yards on 40 carries.

A couple of my pics from that day...

HtcPYsw.jpg

pm4SpmP.jpg

QF6QvGL.jpg

My vote was 2015 GW v CG. I was there (trivia answer, it was not at GW or CG because of Duchon's condition, the game was played at Glenbard South) and it was awful, it was a 25mph relentless south wind, the snow never stopped and the teams were both great to awesome. In the end it, was Brodner, 2 TDs, 269 yards on 40 carries.

A couple of my pics from that day...

HtcPYsw.jpg

pm4SpmP.jpg

QF6QvGL.jpg
I was there, it was brutal. I remember it took us 2+hours to get there from Cary. Two Great teams, would have loved to have seen this played under normal conditions.

Last edited:

Video:

I was there too. That was one heck of a good game even though we lost. That game was simultaneous with the Glenbard West vs. Cary grove game.

Reactions: mchsalumni
'03 3A Championship game....Wilmo vs Stillman........crazy game.......for some reason it is one of like 15 games dating back to 2000 not on the IHSA archives youtube channel
IHSA having difficulty showing and maintaining video? Say it ain't so.

This was a great game. If I recall, LW hit the crossbar or was just short on PAT in OT to tie it.

Reactions: MS4EVER
Montini Vs PR was a terrific game. PR's fandom came out in great numbers considering the weather and were as loud as any visiting crowd I witnessed at Montini.. The line markers where being shoveled by volunteer parents and even then they would be covered over with snow within an hour. PR gave Montini everything it could handle and they were knocking at Montini's goal line at the end of the game. Best HS football game I ever witnessed. Surprisingly, altho snowing to beat the band, the temperatures were not that bad. I never got cold, but that could be because the back and forth scoring and great plays by both teams, probably elevated my blood pressure.

In 2015, St Laurence hosted Naz in a semi-final. The game was unremarkable (0-35 I think) but I do remember the day fondly. I went to St L about 4 hours early just to see if they needed help with clearing the field. I figured that it was all under control, but when I arrived I saw the AD (Tim) and he said that their snow removal equipment broke down. So he was calling for help… via twitter, texts, phone calls….for folks to bring shovels and help clear the field. I – along with maybe 30 other volunteers shoveled the snow off the field – the old school way – no blowers, no nothing. I shoveled for 4 hours non-stop - right up to kick-off. I was exhausted – completely spent! Just prior to kick-off, the ref then must have mistaken me for being the groundskeeper or in some official capacity at St L (I’m just an alum) because he then proceeded to give me instructions on how and where and when to clear the field during the game – the sidelines were first priority; then each of the 5/10 lines going across the field; then finally the hash marks. First play after Naz was buried deep by a St L punt – at their own 5 yard line – I was in the middle of the field down around the opposite 20 clearing some lines when the NAZ RB broke one and was headed right to me – boy did I move fast.

In 2015, St Laurence hosted Naz in a semi-final. The game was unremarkable (0-35 I think) but I do remember the day fondly. I went to St L about 4 hours early just to see if they needed help with clearing the field. I figured that it was all under control, but when I arrived I saw the AD (Tim) and he said that their snow removal equipment broke down. So he was calling for help… via twitter, texts, phone calls….for folks to bring shovels and help clear the field. I – along with maybe 30 other volunteers shoveled the snow off the field – the old school way – no blowers, no nothing. I shoveled for 4 hours non-stop - right up to kick-off. I was exhausted – completely spent! Just prior to kick-off, the ref then must have mistaken me for being the groundskeeper or in some official capacity at St L (I’m just an alum) because he then proceeded to give me instructions on how and where and when to clear the field during the game – the sidelines were first priority; then each of the 5/10 lines going across the field; then finally the hash marks. First play after Naz was buried deep by a St L punt – at their own 5 yard line – I was in the middle of the field down around the opposite 20 clearing some lines when the NAZ RB broke one and was headed right to me – boy did I move fast.

I remember everything you stated but from the other side. You guys did a phenomenal job keeping that field as clean as possible despite the continued large snowfall through the game. It was crazy that the game was played considering all StL had was shovels, obviously not the greatest day in StL football but showed a lot about the support for the program. Naz broke a few big plays that game while multiple people were clearing the field lol thankfully it never interfered. I wasn’t a player but it was one of the most fun atmospheres I’ve ever been to.

Come on @pjjp ... doesn't JCA have a snow game ...

There has to be one!

it wasn’t a snow game, per se... but there were flurries in the air when I played against Joliet Catholic my junior year. Week 9 of 1991… Mike Alstott’s last regular season game, his senior year. It was insanely cold. Anyone I’ve ever talked to who was playing football in that era remembers that specific day. The Internet machine tells me that the high temp was 31°, but that was at midnight. Temperature at O’Hare at kickoff was 22°.

When I was looking for a newspaper article to see whether we held Alstott to 250 yards or let him scamper for over 300 yards, I came across an actual snow game that JCA played that same year, just four days later. Thought you guys would be interested in this.

https://www.galesburg.com/article/20111106/BLOGS/311069975

Coincidentally enough, the little black and white guy in my icon is me from that very game. I was the deep kick returner, and wanted no part of handling the ball in that kind of cold against that kind of team. I remember yelling PETER on the opening kick return, but of course peter doesn’t apply to kickoffs... my upback screamed “pick it up!!!” I did, and a JCA monster missed me just as Brother Dennis was snapping a photo. Little ol’ me, just beyond the outstretched arms of a mighty Hilltopper, frozen in time forever. I also remember that the next guy didn’t miss, hard.

JCA over HC, 40-0, and it wasn’t as close as the score indicates.

I remember everything you stated but from the other side. You guys did a phenomenal job keeping that field as clean as possible despite the continued large snowfall through the game. It was crazy that the game was played considering all StL had was shovels, obviously not the greatest day in StL football but showed a lot about the support for the program. Naz broke a few big plays that game while multiple people were clearing the field lol thankfully it never interfered. I wasn’t a player but it was one of the most fun atmospheres I’ve ever been to.
Thank you! We were fighting an uphill battle all game both with the snow as well as you guys. Tough and fast ...even in the snow. I do remember cleaning the field during pre game and both the Naz players and coaches were very polite and thankful that we were trying to make the best of it for them.

Reactions: Gene K.
it wasn’t a snow game, per se... but there were flurries in the air when I played against Joliet Catholic my junior year. Week 9 of 1991… Mike Alstott’s last regular season game, his senior year. It was insanely cold. Anyone I’ve ever talked to who was playing football in that era remembers that specific day. The Internet machine tells me that the high temp was 31°, but that was at midnight. Temperature at O’Hare at kickoff was 22°.

When I was looking for a newspaper article to see whether we held Alstott to 250 yards or let him scamper for over 300 yards, I came across an actual snow game that JCA played that same year, just four days later. Thought you guys would be interested in this.

https://www.galesburg.com/article/20111106/BLOGS/311069975

Coincidentally enough, the little black and white guy in my icon is me from that very game. I was the deep kick returner, and wanted no part of handling the ball in that kind of cold against that kind of team. I remember yelling PETER on the opening kick return, but of course peter doesn’t apply to kickoffs... my upback screamed “pick it up!!!” I did, and a JCA monster missed me just as Brother Dennis was snapping a photo. Little ol’ me, just beyond the outstretched arms of a mighty Hilltopper, frozen in time forever. I also remember that the next guy didn’t miss, hard.

JCA over HC, 40-0, and it wasn’t as close as the score indicates.
You da man, Catch. Thanks for the link.

It didn't snow, per se, but St Laurence played a state championship game in the mid 70s where the temperature dropped into the twenties and the winds just howled. Just watching on TV, I was freezing, myself.

Outside of the flurry during last year Semi finals and a couple other light snow falls, I don’t recall anything comparable to 2015.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT