ADVERTISEMENT

SF 31 - Rita 28. Final

The only thing I'm sorry about is that topic of what is and is not sportsmanlike behavior at high school sporting events deserves its own thread so that MWitt didn't have to get PTSD from reading this one.

ramblin:

I've returned, this time armed with a glass of Jameson (I take it neat, BTW), only to learn the temperament of this thread has remained fairly consistent.

I just re-read this thread front to back. It’s as if Joseph Heller, David Foster Wallace teamed up posthumously with the Coen and Farrelly brothers on a Friday Night lights screenplay. Pure art. Well done.

Another couple points about the game that are stuck in my craw:

I’m on record saying not just last night but for the last decade, St. Rita’s play action game has not been where it should be with their running game. I want to say in the 2000s I’d see slants, skinnys, pops, flats off play action that were deadly. So that’s where I’d start.

But a play that bothered me after watching Alessio throwing chain movers on high percentage, mid to high reward passes, I saw a 15 yard field-wide-side out by the St. Rita offense and their Soph, first varsity action, QB. Yes, the pass they throw at the NFL combine to see a prospects arm strength. It’s like 40 air yards. So we face high percentage mid to high reward pass offenses and respond with a low percentage low reward pass offense.

And I’m the biggest fan of one on one passes and we tried 3 last night from my memory, one TD and 2 that the WR had to come back to through a non-turned around DB. Now you might think flag but if the St. Rita WR had a step on the DB that pass has to be released sooner and over the top. And technically, it’s better to throw a contested ball to your sideline psychologically for a flag. And the officials from my view called an excellent game but I’m just a percentage guy and human psychology is human psychology.

I think I can turn the page now and I’m not underestimating how difficult last week’s practice was getting a QB game ready that my wish list is probably pie in the sky expectations. But onto St. Laurence and I remain staunch and true to the mission.

Reactions: Gene K.
Everyone: "This thread is an abomination. What a dumpster fire mess of filth!"

Me:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT