ADVERTISEMENT

Seriously.......

PC Dad_MC Grad

Aug 22, 2018
Is there a process that exists to petition against the District concept? The Public v. The IHSA. Or is it just “it is what it is”? Calling all lawyers that participate in this forum for your opinion and input.

Merry Christmas to Edgy and all my high school football brotherhood!

Reactions: Gene K.
Discussing with PC AD and he and other CCL/ESCC ADs are let’s say “disappointed” (more like pissed off) after they just spent valuable time merging the two conferences. What are your school’s ADs saying?

Discussing with PC AD and he and other CCL/ESCC ADs are let’s say “disappointed” (more like pissed off) after they just spent valuable time merging the two conferences. What are your school’s ADs saying?

Yes they are pissed because of the time spent but are they pissed about the actual Districts? There are more CCL/ESCC schools that don't like competition and would like an easier path (Districts will provide that) than the handful that actually like great competition. Bar talk is cheap. Ask them how they voted.

Yes they are pissed because of the time spent but are they pissed about the actual Districts? There are more CCL/ESCC schools that don't like competition and would like an easier path (Districts will provide that) than the handful that actually like great competition. Bar talk is cheap. Ask them how they voted.
Great point!

What???? Please Name these private schools that don't like competition. St Rita played in one of the toughest conferences in the state yet scheduled non-conference games with Joliet Catholic and Richards.

What???? Please Name these private schools that don't like competition. St Rita played in one of the toughest conferences in the state yet scheduled non-conference games with Joliet Catholic and Richards.

And avoided any 7A or 8A power that called. Played Jeff City in the ESL classic and was excited looking to be in it for a 4 year deal. The next year they played Whitehaven and decided to go in a different direction. As stated before by me, it's their choice and I have no issue with it but, please don't pretend as if most aren't concerned about "winnable games" when it came to scheduling.

The new CCL/ESCC conference increased my disappointment in the district vote as well. I liked the structure, increased pool of schools and flexibility to adjust every two years of the new conference. I also liked the seemingly positive trend of private schools working together to address their individual issues. No guarantee it was going to go smoothly, but I liked its chances. Not crazy about the potential opponents in this district setup for the school I follow. We shall see what happens.

They played both finalists in 8A.

That's conference in which they had no choice. Are you telling me they would schedule MS, LWE, GBW, ESL, etc in a regular season non conference game? If so, why haven't they as all the teams listed have been looking for a week 2 game over the last 10 years.

And avoided any 7A or 8A power that called.

How do you know that any 7A or 8A power called them in the first place or that Rita avoided them if they did call?

If Rita were looking to duck competition for their non-con games, there are plenty of other teams that they could have scheduled besides JCA and Richards. Instead, they played a JCA team that won the 5A title and a Richards team that ran the table until the 6A semis where they lost by 3 pts. BTW, Richards' enrollment is roughly 500 students larger than Rita's doubled enrollment before the multiplier.

Reactions: Bowie50 and Gene K.
How do you know that any 7A or 8A power called them in the first place or that Rita avoided them if they did call?

If Rita were looking to duck competition for their non-con games, there are plenty of other teams that they could have scheduled besides JCA and Richards. Instead, they played a JCA team that won the 5A title and a Richards team that ran the table until the 6A semis where they lost by 3 pts. BTW, Richards' enrollment is roughly 500 students larger than Rita's doubled enrollment before the multiplier.

Ramb, there is nothing to prove.

I didn't bring up Rita, another poster did however, the shoe fits in this case.

So you bring up them scheduling JC who was 3-6 last year and didn't make the playoffs (probably would have gone to the semis in 5A had they made the playoffs) as well as Richards who got smoked by PC in the playoff game last year. The question is if the Districts weren't implemented, would they have rescheduled those games after this years and possible next years results?

For the last 15 years, Rita knew each year they had to play 3 of the best teams in the state (MC, Loyola, and Providence), and another very strong program in Rice.

Why should they have to search out other power programs for non conference games when they are already playing one of the tougher schedules? Notwithstanding, over the last 15 years, they have scheduled multiple games with 8A power Marist: a gane at Lincoln Way East; and games versus Joliet Catholic and Richards

Also, there is still no evidence they declined games with suburban powers. Even if they did, they still annually play one of the toughest schedules in the state so they are NOT afraid of any competition.

BTW, Richards' enrollment is roughly 500 students larger than Rita's doubled enrollment before the multiplier.

You can not seriously compare the enrollment at Richards to a school intentionally keeping their numbers low. That was also the second best Richards team in the last 20 seasons and the worst Rita team in that time. Rita was bad last year because they had kids who would have started for them this season playing all over the south suburbs and Springfield. They did not do a good job of retaining kids in their senior class.

You can not seriously compare the enrollment at Richards to a school intentionally keeping their numbers low. That was also the second best Richards team in the last 20 seasons and the worst Rita team in that time. Rita was bad last year because they had kids who would have started for them this season playing all over the south suburbs and Springfield. They did not do a good job of retaining kids in their senior class.
Great point MC!

For the last 15 years, Rita knew each year they had to play 3 of the best teams in the state (MC, Loyola, and Providence), and another very strong program in Rice.

Why should they have to search out other power programs for non conference games when they are already playing one of the tougher schedules? Notwithstanding, over the last 15 years, they have scheduled multiple games with 8A power Marist: a gane at Lincoln Way East; and games versus Joliet Catholic and Richards

Also, there is still no evidence they declined games with suburban powers. Even if they did, they still annually play one of the toughest schedules in the state so they are NOT afraid of any competition.

So for a 9 game schedule you mentioned a third of their schedule is "tough" so there is no need to schedule competition which validate my point of wanting to play competition. I never said any team was scared, I said they don't like or want to play competition. Your first paragraph is an attempt to explain why but, also validate my point.

Paragraph 2 answer is simple. For the sake of competition. Teams that truly like to compete will play anyone and I'm sorry but 3 tough teams out of nine is not really considered tough to me. I respect your opinion but disagree. Doing the math in 15 years you had a minimum of 30 chances to schedule "tough" completion. You name 4 out of the 30. Again, the numbers are too great in this example.

As far as declining games, there is no need to get into the details as the topic isn't about St. Rita. I have very specific examples I can give to you offline if you are truly interested. The discussion is whether teams are truly upset about the District vote or not. I believe most teams are happier to have an "easier" schedule and aren't too upset about not having to play competition.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cross Bones

The LWE games were a home and Home with St. Rita and may even be more than 15 years ago when St. Rita believed LWE was just another south side victory. No hint of another game request since those two were competitive. LWE was a new school at that time.

@LHSTigers94 is making some good points. I think someone in another thread wanted to see how schools voted. Not that it really matters since each school's situation is different. For my Raiders I don't know which way was voted, but I can see it either way. Travel will be easier schedule will get easier at the top but likely more possible losses.

So I don't think it's as obvious a choice as some of us make it seem. Plus the ADs job is to look out for their school not all the schools.

I just know I don't like taking away options and I don't like exhibition games.

The LWE games were a home and Home with St. Rita and may even be more than 15 years ago when St. Rita believed LWE was just another south side victory. No hint of another game request since those two were competitive. LWE was a new school at that time.

That eliminates LWE from the facts.
The fact that some can't face reality here in terms of competition shows that the school they love actually voted for Districts. A lot of people point to the small school failing to realize most of them can careless about winning a state championship. Most of them were the ones to vote NO. Their conference 9 game season is way more important to them than an opportunity to crown yourself a state champion. Most of those school have zero interest in practice and banging for 14 weeks. Not everyone is interested in State Championships. Especially when you get into the 1A through 4A world.

Malvern Prep
Dunbar
St. Pats
Rich Central
JCA
Richards

Those have been Rita'a first 2 games the last 4 years. I looked it up. I don't think any of those teams above had less than 5 wins and were not a playoff team each year ...

Listen, I am not here to bash any team so I will

So for a 9 game schedule you mentioned a third of their schedule is "tough" so there is no need to schedule competition which validate my point of wanting to play competition. I never said any team was scared, I said they don't like or want to play competition. Your first paragraph is an attempt to explain why but, also validate my point.

Paragraph 2 answer is simple. For the sake of competition. Teams that truly like to compete will play anyone and I'm sorry but 3 tough teams out of nine is not really considered tough to me. I respect your opinion but disagree. Doing the math in 15 years you had a minimum of 30 chances to schedule "tough" completion. You name 4 out of the 30. Again, the numbers are too great in this example.

As far as declining games, there is no need to get into the details as the topic isn't about St. Rita. I have very specific examples I can give to you offline if you are truly interested. The discussion is whether teams are truly upset about the District vote or not. I believe most teams are happier to have an "easier" schedule and aren't too upset about not having to play competition.
I have no clue if I agree with you or disagree. I tried to read your quoted post 3 times and fell asleep 3 times, I give up.

Good thing I was leaning back in my chair and didn't actually face-plant my keyboard.

I have no clue if I agree with you or disagree. I tried to read your quoted post 3 times and fell asleep 3 times, I give up.

Good thing I was leaning back in my chair and didn't actually face-plant my keyboard.
You do historically have trouble with reading, and since the coma...

You do historically have trouble with reading, and since the coma...
Thanks Bones - I have completely stayed out of all these District threads so far, I think I am completely amazed that it passed and I just can't wrap my head around the idea of Districts.

<------- I pretty much look just like my Avatar right now.

Any way we can get this thread back to the topic? Is there any means of the public taking the IHSA to court on this?

Easy Corey, I just posted the question because of all the angst on this forum. I was just seeing if there is any legal way for anybody to challenge the decision. As for PC and most other privates depending on what District we wind up in it creates an almost guarantee into the playoffs. I’ve spoken to many PC faithful about this and the consensus is that we don’t like it. It disrupts the historical rivalries against other privates. Would we rather play, let’s see, Ottawa or Riverside-Brookfield or St. Rita and Brother Rice.....hmmmm. We would prefer the latter. Provi, like most CCL teams, has benefited in the playoffs from playing brutal regular season schedules, of course this type of schedule can easily keep you out of the playoffs.

To summarize, I could care less if it is Districts or Conferences or whatever other crazy crap the IHSA comes up with. I was throwing out a question of feasibility. Can anyone, outside of school administrators, legally challenge the IHSA?

Thanks and Merry Christmas my brother!

Easy Corey, I just posted the question because of all the angst on this forum. I was just seeing if there is any legal way for anybody to challenge the decision. As for PC and most other privates depending on what District we wind up in it creates an almost guarantee into the playoffs. I’ve spoken to many PC faithful about this and the consensus is that we don’t like it. It disrupts the historical rivalries against other privates. Would we rather play, let’s see, Ottawa or Riverside-Brookfield or St. Rita and Brother Rice.....hmmmm. We would prefer the latter. Provi, like most CCL teams, has benefited in the playoffs from playing brutal regular season schedules, of course this type of schedule can easily keep you out of the playoffs.

To summarize, I could care less if it is Districts or Conferences or whatever other crazy crap the IHSA comes up with. I was throwing out a question of feasibility. Can anyone, outside of school administrators, legally challenge the IHSA?

PC Dad
Didn’t mean to say “you” my poor wording. I just was making a point that it was a public vote.

Do you know what else disrupts the historical rivalries between privates? When you refuse to go and play them.

Reactions: Undercenter3rd1
Do you know what else disrupts the historical rivalries between privates? When you refuse to go and play them.
Nice jab on Christmas! I’m guessing you are stating that PC is avoiding JCA? Let’s be clear what the fans and faithful want compared to what AD and coaches want are two different things! I want to play JCA as do many PC faithful

Nice jab on Christmas! I’m guessing you are stating that PC is avoiding JCA? Let’s be clear what the fans and faithful want compared to what AD and coaches want are two different things! I want to play JCA as do many PC faithful
Nope

Let’s hope 2019 will allow decisions regarding safety of all football players to not be at the forefront, if it be concussions or the courtrooms. Safety should be first in all of our lifestyles and occupations. Happy Holidays!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT