ADVERTISEMENT

school night multi-team competitions

woody6

Jun 24, 2016
Although not a FB topic, I solicit opinions of the many parents/coaches contributing to this forum. IHSA and conference terms and conditions or by-laws allow for end-of-season competitions to be conducted in a window from Thursday (sometimes Weds.) afternoon through Saturday afternoon. The former is almost universally chosen putting student-athletes out of their homes until very late hours during school nights. I have heard all the arguments about proms, weather and the like, but the fact remains that such weeknight scheduling is NOT in the best academic or health interests of the student. I question the oversight of principals about what is truly going on in this regard. Similarly, some sports schedule time-consuming contests like quad meets sometimes at great distance and/or schedule 3 or 4 contests during the Monday-Thursday part of the week. What say you?

Everyone needs to learn time management skills at some point in their life. I'd like to think that I learned a lot of them before I arrived on a college campus or work place because of exactly what you have voiced concern. Complicated schedules and long days are what the real world is all about. As my brother-in-law would say "suck it up buttercup"

Although not a FB topic, I solicit opinions of the many parents/coaches contributing to this forum. IHSA and conference terms and conditions or by-laws allow for end-of-season competitions to be conducted in a window from Thursday (sometimes Weds.) afternoon through Saturday afternoon. The former is almost universally chosen putting student-athletes out of their homes until very late hours during school nights. I have heard all the arguments about proms, weather and the like, but the fact remains that such weeknight scheduling is NOT in the best academic or health interests of the student. I question the oversight of principals about what is truly going on in this regard. Similarly, some sports schedule time-consuming contests like quad meets sometimes at great distance and/or schedule 3 or 4 contests during the Monday-Thursday part of the week. What say you?

Also, there is some logistics. In track...county, conference and sectional meets are now most commonly run on Wed or Thurs so Friday and Saturdays can be back of days due to inclement weather. Also, F.A.T. timing is used....throw in the lack of officials in sports and there's your answer. Throw in the need for workers (timers, announcers, security, etc.) for track meets, baseball games, lacrosse..........etc. and there's your answer.

I agree that some of these events have gotten out of control with too many days scheduled. The IHSA state wrestling tournament is a prime example of an event that stretches out over three days which could easily be cut back to two, without cutting down the number of qualifiers, seemingly only to generate one more day of entry fees.
With that said, JWar is right about time management being an important skill to learn. Several of the college admissions people that we and our son met with a couple of years ago specifically mentioned that they considered his time management abilities between all of the activities while still achieving academic success to be a key item for admission.

Education is the sole purpose of high school. While I realize it is not necessarily in the front of many students' minds, Monday- Thursday competitions should be planned primarily based upon time. The event needs to start early enough to allow students to get home at a reasonable time.

Yes, time management is important, but there is nothing a student can do about not being allowed to get decent sleep during the school week. I feel most athletes are good at time management, or they would not be eligible; however, sleep should be a concern for school officials and parents.

Reactions: woody6
Education is the sole purpose of high school. While I realize it is not necessarily in the front of many students' minds, Monday- Thursday competitions should be planned primarily based upon time. The event needs to start early enough to allow students to get home at a reasonable time.

Yes, time management is important, but there is nothing a student can do about not being allowed to get decent sleep during the school week. I feel most athletes are good at time management, or they would not be eligible; however, sleep should be a concern for school officials and parents.
You are correct and almost everyone would agree, but sometimes the weather doesn't cooperate or a kid gets injured delaying the event. All A.D.s are school admin keep this in mind and efforts are made to minimize late weekday events.

All A.D.s are school admin keep this in mind and efforts are made to minimize late weekday events.
In theory, but not in practice. Most ADs are more tethered and loyal to the coaches, not the academic sector. In bigger schools, the principal and associate principal of instruction are either in denial or clueless about frequency/duration of school night competitions plus options available to schedule more of them on Fridays or Saturdays.

Last edited:
In theory, but not in practice. Most ADs are more tethered and loyal to the coaches, not the academic sector. In bigger schools, the principal and associate principal of instruction are either in denial or clueless about frequency/duration of school night competitions on weeknights plus options available to schedule more of them on Fridays or Saturdays.

Friday and Saturday games/meets are a nightmare from late April through Mid May due to proms.

Administration does not want events conflicting with prom in most places. Except the schools that hold their prom this week and next to hold it over the Seniors' heads and make kids pick between athletics and prom.

Friday and Saturday games/meets are a nightmare from late April through Mid May due to proms.

Administration does not want events conflicting with prom in most places. Except the schools that hold their prom this week and next to hold it over the Seniors' heads and make kids pick between athletics and prom.
Saturday night proms can free up Fridays for contests and thereby reduce many conflicts. Also, proms are not the issue for programs/sports that cram 3 or 4 time-consuming contests in the Monday-Thursday school nights during the regular season.

I never, ever, ever, EVER (did I emphasize never enough?) understood the point of prom and why it's become a big deal especially for guys.

I never, ever, ever, EVER (did I emphasize never enough?) understood the point of prom and why it's become a big deal especially for guys.

You get to dress up and drive in a limo before a weekend of drinking instead of the normal weekend of drinking.

You get to dress up and drive in a limo before a weekend of drinking instead of the normal weekend of drinking.
Also, include spending at least one obligatory weekend night in commercial lodging or someone's cottage, ideally without adult supervision. Then, participate in annual "Senior Ditch Day" during some time of the next school day after prom as your "right." Maybe this whole idea of prom driving academic and athletic scheduling is the "tail wagging the dog?" Time for the pendulum to start swinging back?

Also, include spending at least one obligatory weekend night in commercial lodging or someone's cottage, ideally without adult supervision. Then, participate in annual "Senior Ditch Day" during some time of the next school day after prom as your "right." Maybe this whole idea of prom driving academic and athletic scheduling is the "tail wagging the dog?" Time for the pendulum to start swinging back?

Parents will never allow it. They are pushing for Prom away from when we have it because its not fair to cut into the drinking time of the AP students after prom.

On a side note, I do not get how a parent is willing to sign weekend lease for these cottages of 50 plus high school kids. One guy around here has a different high school using his place in Michigan almost every weekend in April and May. Has to be clearing over 5k a week minus damages.

Parents will never allow it. They are pushing for Prom away from when we have it because its not fair to cut into the drinking time of the AP students after prom.

On a side note, I do not get how a parent is willing to sign weekend lease for these cottages of 50 plus high school kids. One guy around here has a different high school using his place in Michigan almost every weekend in April and May. Has to be clearing over 5k a week minus damages.
Because many parents are dumber than their children.

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21

Maybe - but I would be freaking out about liability even as the owner renting it and not even mentioning the parent signing the contract for the rental. Holy cow... gives me the willies just thinking of all the nightmare scenarios.

Maybe - but I would be freaking out about liability even as the owner renting it and not even mentioning the parent signing the contract for the rental. Holy cow... gives me the willies just thinking of all the nightmare scenarios.
Odds are you have a line of parents willing to sign thereby able to be designated as "cool."

Odds are you have a line of parents willing to sign thereby able to be designated as "cool."

You are probably right but I'm just fine being "uncool" Don't need to be on the hook for some crazy multi million dollar

I have no idea why any parent in their right mind would purposely take this kind of risk...not to mention putting their kid or the kid of someone else in this kind of danger.

It goes back to this culture of parents who want to be their kid's friend instead of their kid's parent. Ridiculous.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT