ADVERTISEMENT

Schedules released

Bradley-Bourbonnais (enrollment 1951) hosts 2 CPS opponents in Weeks 1 and 2 with enrollments of 408 and 203 students, respectively. However, with 3 division cross-overs against Lockport, H-F and LWE - can you really blame the Boilers?

Reactions: Schwab54
Bradley-Bourbonnais (enrollment 1951) hosts 2 CPS opponents in Weeks 1 and 2 with enrollments of 408 and 203 students, respectively. However, with 3 division cross-overs against Lockport, H-F and LWE - can you really blame the Boilers?

That had to be expensive on Bradleys end to get those teams to go out there.

Reactions: ignazio
Jacksonville gets all 5 CS8 playoff teams from 2019 at home, while all their away games are against the bottom tier teams of the conference.

On the other hand, Springfield is on the road against Chatham, SHG, Rochester and Jacksonville.

A fairly young SHG team opens against Lanphier and Southeast, both of whom have struggled in recent years. SHG will gain some valuable experience heading into the Week 3 Leonard Bowl at Rochester.

The Week 1 matchup of Springfield at Chatham is critical for both teams. This was the best conference game of the spring season, a 42-35 duel between QB’s Rashad Rochelle and Jake Burris. Chatham won in April. Rochelle returns, Burris graduated. The loser may struggle to get more than 5 wins.

Reactions: net-se
Didn't make the semi or state final in 2019 so no success factor for the next two years I believe
I don’t see an (s) next to any teams on the IHSA list you posted. It says that is what identifies teams with success factors. Will they be adding those in later? Thoughts? I can’t imagine the IHSA is actually rebooting and starting over by not assigning a success factor to any teams this year? But in all honesty the success factor will be based on teams from 2 falls ago that have been gone for quite a while now.

I don’t see an (s) next to any teams on the IHSA list you posted. It says that is what identifies teams with success factors. Will they be adding those in later? Thoughts? I can’t imagine the IHSA is actually rebooting and starting over by not assigning a success factor to any teams this year? But in all honesty the success factor will be based on teams from 2 falls ago that have been gone for quite a while now.
9 teams I believe will be success factored this year....and you needed to be either a semifinalist or a state finalist from 2019 to be success factored. St. Rita and Nazareth are two examples off the top of my head who are success factored this year. Generally IHSA will release a preliminary class for each school but that hasn't come out yet...but again based off enrollment only Loyola would be solidly in 7A

9 teams I believe will be success factored this year....and you needed to be either a semifinalist or a state finalist from 2019 to be success factored. St. Rita and Nazareth are two examples off the top of my head who are success factored this year. Generally IHSA will release a preliminary class for each school but that hasn't come out yet...but again based off enrollment only Loyola would be solidly in 7A
Mulitplied, not success factored.

Looks like lots of bugs still in the schedules.

According to the IHSA website, Maine South is playing all away games.

I write this post in hopes that this board can help the situation. One of the reasons (there may be others) that schools are going varsity only on Friday night is the lack of officials. From what I understand there are many many Friday night prelim games that are currently without officials. Game assigners have tried to convince schools to move the prelim game to any other day. Some conferences have, but others resist for a multitude of reasons (Friday night lights, Friday gets the best attendance, staffing, etc.) I can tell you that there will not be enough officials to cover these games. Be prepared to get recruited from the stands to officiate the game, or see coaches have to take that on. Or the game gets moved to any other day with a much better chance to get officials to cover the game.

I write this post in hopes that this board can help the situation. One of the reasons (there may be others) that schools are going varsity only on Friday night is the lack of officials. From what I understand there are many many Friday night prelim games that are currently without officials. Game assigners have tried to convince schools to move the prelim game to any other day. Some conferences have, but others resist for a multitude of reasons (Friday night lights, Friday gets the best attendance, staffing, etc.) I can tell you that there will not be enough officials to cover these games. Be prepared to get recruited from the stands to officiate the game, or see coaches have to take that on. Or the game gets moved to any other day with a much better chance to get officials to cover the game.
Is there an "official" reason officials can't do both games?

Is there an "official" reason officials can't do both games?
Here is a laundry list.
1. Many varsity officials can't make a 4:30 or 5:00 start for a prelim game without taking some time off work.
2. Many varsity crews are not spring chickens anymore. Doing 2 games is hard physically. And the last thing you want is to be gassed in the 4th quarter of a competitive varsity game. Most conferences realize this and prefer to have separate crews for prelim and varsity for this reason.
3. If you work both games, you actually don't get paid for both games. The logic is that some portion of your game fee is to compensate for your travel. Since you are already there, they take some off the top.

But there isn't anything "officially" stopping them? I mean what if guys wanted to do two games and you had to get fewer guys for a 2nd game?

Possibly, but clearly there needs to be some out of the box thinking by the conferences, schools and officials.
All options are on the table. Anyone who is available for a prelim game will be able to work. Some guys on a varsity crew will do the doubleheader. Assigners will use anyone they can get and put whoever they can find together with others to fill prelim games. There may have to be prelim games done with 3 or 4 officials. Many traditional prelim crews have a full varsity schedule this year. The last few years I have seen more than one first year official get a varsity game or two. There will be many officials working games at a level that they have never experienced. All it will take is a few bad experiences and they won't come back. We are all hoping for some grace in this environment we are currently in.

Reactions: Zebra and Blue Ruin
All options are on the table. Anyone who is available for a prelim game will be able to work. Some guys on a varsity crew will do the doubleheader. Assigners will use anyone they can get and put whoever they can find together with others to fill prelim games. There may have to be prelim games done with 3 or 4 officials. Many traditional prelim crews have a full varsity schedule this year. The last few years I have seen more than one first year official get a varsity game or two. There will be many officials working games at a level that they have never experienced. All it will take is a few bad experiences and they won't come back. We are all hoping for some grace in this environment we are currently in.
At this point, I'd actually prefer one game on Friday night and if it has to start at 6, so be it.

Reactions: Anomalyout28
Yea, the 6pm thing is just a by-product of the single game. Sooner you start the sooner the AD gets to go home.
I'm on that same line of thinking, I have to go the Varsity games, but getting home before 8:30 would be nice. I'd likely still go to the home JV/soph game on different night.

Can someone explain the hype or significance of this-IHSA releasing schedules? I mean I'm glad they do it, but you can find your team's schedule on their own athletic website typically by April? I saw every team I wanted to look at on 8to18 this past spring for the fall, all games and location. Is it just because it's nice to have one site?

Can someone explain the hype or significance of this-IHSA releasing schedules? I mean I'm glad they do it, but you can find your team's schedule on their own athletic website typically by April? I saw every team I wanted to look at on 8to18 this past spring for the fall, all games and location. Is it just because it's nice to have one site?
Biggest part of this is

1. Having everything in one spot/one place.
2. Enrollments.....so from my standpoint I can start to project Class polls etc otherwise it make it very hard without having those numbers in one spot.

All.... As what was discussed awhile ago there will be many new participants in different classes this year. Loyola v St. Rita in an all Catholic 7A playoff spat might be interesting. JCA and SHG look to be firmly in 4A. Notable" bubble" teams ( a school that could go up or down a class) are many. Those include QND, Rochester, ESTL, Peoria, Sycamore , Kankakee SR. and some others.

Conjecture at this early date of course but Bighitter11 did a pretty good job back in May. We will see. Ratsy

All.... As what was discussed awhile ago there will be many new participants in different classes this year. Loyola v St. Rita in an all Catholic 7A playoff spat might be interesting. JCA and SHG look to be firmly in 4A. Notable" bubble" teams ( a school that could go up or down a class) are many. Those include QND, Rochester, ESTL, Peoria, Sycamore , Kankakee SR. and some others.

Conjecture at this early date of course but Bighitter11 did a pretty good job back in May. We will see. Ratsy
Naz is always 5A -6A bubble.

JCA in 4A.....smh

Bradley Head Coach Mike Kohl is now also the AD for the Boilers...self preservation...

Bradley has been playing Manteno in basketball for years now - but part of the reason likely was that now former Boiler hoops coach Alex Renchen was from a long-standing Manteno family and former Panther (he was a senior 4 year hoops starter when I was a soph). The Boilers played a frosh football game at Wilmington in 2013...first and probably only time the Wildcats saw a team come out with twice as many players as they have. But I don't see any ICE teams jumping at the chance to play the Boilers on the gridiron at the varsity level...

Multiplied schools for football:

Brother Rice 19 8A semis
Marist 19 8A semis
Mt. Carmel 19 7A champ
St. Rita 19 5A 2d
Decatur St. Theresa 19 2A semis
Nazareth 19 7A 2d
Quincy Notre Dame 19 3A semis
Rockford Boylan 19 5A semis
Sterling Newman 19 2A champ

Bradley Head Coach Mike Kohl is now also the AD for the Boilers...self preservation...
I don't see any ICE teams jumping at the chance to play the Boilers on the gridiron at the varsity level...
Year-in and year-out Bradley does a respectable job. They usually have numbers and a nice mix of trench plus skill players. Every couple of years, mostly at home, they take down someone in their league who was expected to win.

Any team in the Blue can lose to any other team. I am conceding nothing to Loyola, which could go 0-4 against St. Rita and the three teams in the conference.

Reactions: MonetaMitch
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT