ADVERTISEMENT

Rumor Mill updated!

I understand that it looks like groupings of four is the way it is going to be. However, here is what I would like to see:

A
Loyola
Notre Dame
Carmel
Pat's
Viator

B
Montini
Ignatius
Fenwick
Naz
MCC

C
Rita
Rice
Laurence
MC
DLS

D
Marist
Benet
Marmion
PC
JCA

E
DePaul
Leo
St. Joes
Marian

Teams from the first four divisions play a four game division schedule, and one game against a team from each of the other three divisions. That leaves each team having to schedule two other games. Those other two games could be against teams from within the conference or outside of it.

Teams from the E division play a three game division schedule and scramble to find six non con games. Sorry guys. Blame the schools that ditched the CCL for the Metro. Or bring back ACC and Chicago Hope, add Christ the King next year, and your division champ will be an automatic qualifier in your seven team division, and you only need to find three non con games.
Marist will kill bracket d. Other then that, looks ok. Finding 3 non conference games for schools with traditions are tuff. Schools football tradition qualification is really stupid. In Jca’s Case, they are no longer the power house they were in the past. When JCA can have a offensive line and a separate defensive line with same quality, then they will be the same tradition they once where. I understand most teams have linemen that go both ways, but JCA has linebackers and defensive backs playing both ways also. Running the double wing as a linemen and playing defensive line kills a linemen. No easy task there. Can’t compare to a linemen in a passing offense.

Marist will kill bracket d. Other then that, looks ok. Finding 3 non conference games for schools with traditions are tuff. Schools football tradition qualification is really stupid. In Jca’s Case, they are no longer the power house they were in the past. When JCA can have a offensive line and a separate defensive line with same quality, then they will be the same tradition they once where. I understand most teams have linemen that go both ways, but JCA has linebackers and defensive backs playing both ways also. Running the double wing as a linemen and playing defensive line kills a linemen. No easy task there. Can’t compare to a linemen in a passing offense.
Maybe change the offense?

In Jca’s Case, they are no longer the power house they were in the past. When JCA can have a offensive line and a separate defensive line with same quality, then they will be the same tradition they once where. I understand most teams have linemen that go both ways, but JCA has linebackers and defensive backs playing both ways also. Running the double wing as a linemen and playing defensive line kills a linemen. No easy task there. Can’t compare to a linemen in a passing offense.
Agreed. I'm encouraged by this year's freshmen class, though. It has talent and numbers. And, it's Jaws' first class in his tenure. Hopefully, it's the beginning of a trend. They need to start stacking good classes to get back to a competitive level in an ESCC-caliber conference. Lately, they seem to have gotten good classes every three years (2016/2019/2022).

Reactions: Jchill-1
Marist will kill bracket d. Other then that, looks ok.

Not so sure about that. But, even if true, somebody kills each division just about every year. So what? Teams go through up and down cycles. Not too long ago, Marist, Benet and Laurence were mediocre programs. Now they are not. Around the same time, PC and MC were unstoppable. Now, not so much. The fact that a team will dominate a division is no reason not to put them that division if it makes sense. What doesn't make sense is to have a division of four with the top four teams in the league in that division.

Reactions: IgorStL
Absolutely correct pjjp. A good class every 3 years for 15 years. Change the offense????? That’s blasphemy!!! Say two our fathers and 10 Hail Marys and a good act of contrition. Yup, time for an over haul. Agree. The game has moved on. The Naz, montini, ND know our offense to a tee. One weak link on the offense and the offense don’t work. Properly executed it works. But haven’t had enough talent to run it consistent enough successfully to win against the better schools in higher divisions. We got a good offense this year and a good throwing qb. Can run any other offense that’s out there and probably do better. One could only dream. Lol

Reactions: MR. "T" and Gene K.
Not so sure about that. But, even if true, somebody kills each division just about every year. So what? Teams go through up and down cycles. Not too long ago, Marist, Benet and Laurence were mediocre programs. Now they are not. Around the same time, PC and MC were unstoppable. Now, not so much. The fact that a team will dominate a division is no reason not to put them that division if it makes sense. What doesn't make sense is to have a division of four with the top four teams in the league in that division.
Marist is 8a

They were 8A in 2014 when they failed to make the playoffs and when 5A JCA kicked their ass 32-7.
Yup. JCA has to wait for a down year to win. Point proven. If your waiting for JCA to beat bigger schools on a regular basis like the old days, your wasting your time. Times have changed and so has enrollment. We have a good enough team to do well in 5A playoff if we get there but not enough ammo for the higher class teams. Unfortunately for JCA, the Escc they play is filled with 6A - 8A schools. We may never find out. That’s what I like about this years team. Underdogs that if somehow they can make playoffs, they might go far. Would be interesting to say the least.

Reactions: Gene K.
[
Yup. JCA has to wait for a down year to win. Point proven. If your waiting for JCA to beat bigger schools on a regular basis like the old days, your wasting your time. Times have changed and so has enrollment. We have a good enough team to do well in 5A playoff if we get there but not enough ammo for the higher class teams. Unfortunately for JCA, the Escc they play is filled with 6A - 8A schools. We may never find out. That’s what I like about this years team. Underdogs that if somehow they can make playoffs, they might go far. Would be interesting to say the least.

You are crazy. Just because JC has struggled for 2 years, doesn't mean they can never compete or beat bigger schools on a regular basis. It didnt take a down year for JCA to beat Marist, JC routinely beat Marist as a 5A/6A school. JC has a winning record against every team in the ESCC and has been the smallest school in the conference for the last 20 or so years.

Yup. JCA has to wait for a down year to win. Point proven. If your waiting for JCA to beat bigger schools on a regular basis like the old days, your wasting your time. Times have changed and so has enrollment. We have a good enough team to do well in 5A playoff if we get there but not enough ammo for the higher class teams. Unfortunately for JCA, the Escc they play is filled with 6A - 8A schools. .

Dude, you just keep digging a deeper hole for yourself.

The year before JCA beat Marist 32-7, the Hilltoppers beat Marist 49-27 in the same year that Marist went all the way to the 8A semifinals and lost by a single score to the eventual state champs. Was that a "down year" for Marist too? Point proven.

Please, stop using the enrollment argument. JCA was 5A in 2013 and 2014 when they beat Marist like a drum, and they are 5A this year. Marist was 8A then and now.

I don't know for some reason I never was excited to watch Benet.

I remember playing them years ago once in Lisle and many of their fans would be complaining our wrestlers playing football were throwing them around all over the field. Both teams fans sit in the same bleachers at Benedictine College.

If there were only some sport their kids could compete in over the winter that would help them here . . .

Reactions: Bwm57
Alright. You guys are right. I will sit back and watch and wait for the glory days to come back. Will be pain staking waiting. Will be awhile. God I hope I’m wrong. I want to be wrong. Go Hill this week and beat Marist.

Alright. You guys are right. I will sit back and watch and wait for the glory days to come back. Will be pain staking waiting. Will be awhile. God I hope I’m wrong. I want to be wrong. Go Hill this week and beat Marist.
You act as if we r talking about 15 years ago. JC beat Marist 3 years ago and Marist went on to play in 8a championship that year. The program will be fine. Give jaws a few years.

Reactions: Gene K.
You act as if we r talking about 15 years ago. JC beat Marist 3 years ago and Marist went on to play in 8a championship that year. The program will be fine. Give jaws a few years.

JCA beat Marist in 2015? Man that is impressive! Marist bent WV over a barrel with minimal lube in the semi finals in 8A. Think the score was something like 32-13 and it wasn’t even as close as the score might indicate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT