ADVERTISEMENT

rumor has it that SWSC crossovers... (DVC related)

Cross Bones

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2001
...between the Blue and Red will cease in 2023. I don't have the specifics, but it sounds as if the Blue will play 3 DVC teams instead. It's just what I heard and can't corroborate it with primary sources so take it for what it's worth. If it's true I love it.

I feel badly for the SWSC Red players, coaches and fans from the fall seasons of 2019-2021, continuing now into 2022. Between the totally unfair cross-over system and COVID, they got screwed royally.

Yes to the end of the crossovers but im hearing only a Week 2 DVC series of games starting in 2023 will be based on final record from the previous year records top SWSB vs top DVC team and on down…

Yes to the end of the crossovers but im hearing only a Week 2 DVC series of games starting in 2023 will be based on final record from the previous year records top SWSB vs top DVC team and on down…
Part of me likes 3 DVC games. Drives to NV, NC, NN are preferable. But two additional open dates is enticing.

Do we know if this is football only, or will there be requirements for DVC SWSC games in other sports?

Do we know if this is football only, or will there be requirements for DVC SWSC games in other sports?

Why would there be? Every other sport the regular season doesn't matter and you can schedule 10 to 20 plus more games.

Why would there be? Every other sport the regular season doesn't matter and you can schedule 10 to 20 plus more games.
Football only, I would guess. If examining the reason behind this half, no, one-third measure, it is to help playoff eligibility for SWSC Red teams, so they do not go into a season with an 0-3 baked into their schedules from the 3 cross-overs. It may only be 0-2 as of the 2023 season.

Because some schools don't want to schedule certain teams to avoid losses in other sports. And those games ultimately matter for seeding in other sports. That's why I asked the question.

Football only, I would guess. If examining the reason behind this half, no, one-third measure, it is to help playoff eligibility for SWSC Red teams, so they do not go into a season with an 0-3 baked into their schedules from the 3 cross-overs. It may only be 0-2 as of the 2023 season.
Who are the automatic two losses?

Who are the automatic two losses?
If I read Tim's reply correctly, only 1 cross-over between Blue and Red of the now-mandated 3 would be with the DVC. Within that, I do find it odd that he referenced Week 2. That appears to conflict with Weeks 1 and 2 in both Red and Blue being unoccupied by any kind of conference games, cross-over or other. Who knows ... the details are likely still being flushed out.

If I read Tim's reply correctly, only 1 cross-over between Blue and Red of the now-mandated 3 would be with the DVC. Within that, I do find it odd that he referenced Week 2. That appears to conflict with Weeks 1 and 2 in both Red and Blue being unoccupied by any kind of conference games, cross-over or other. Who knows ... the details are likely still being flushed out.
Oh the way I read it was that the crossovers were done, but my three DVC games for the Blue was incorrect and it'll only be one. With there being 6 DVC schools and 5 in the Blue I'd think it has to be more than one.

Because some schools don't want to schedule certain teams to avoid losses in other sports. And those games ultimately matter for seeding in other sports. That's why I asked the question.

DVC has football scheduling issues. That is why they are doing this. They do not have scheduling issues in other sports.

Do we know what the final details on this ended up being or still a lot of things to be worked out?

Some nice potential matchups between the DVC and SWSC schools if this plays out.

I wonder if the DVC-SWSC crossovers are all Week 3 then since a couple SWSC Red schools have Week 3 openings posted. I assume Week 9 would stay as the Red and Blue crossovers with the other crossover taking place one per week Weeks 4-8?

Reactions: corey90
Do we know what the final details on this ended up being or still a lot of things to be worked out?

Some nice potential matchups between the DVC and SWSC schools if this plays out.

I wonder if the DVC-SWSC crossovers are all Week 3 then since a couple SWSC Red schools have Week 3 openings posted. I assume Week 9 would stay as the Red and Blue crossovers with the other crossover taking place one per week Weeks 4-8?
No, I haven't gotten official confirmation of how it will work. However, it seems that multiple games is the only way the scheduling issue is addressed.

Reactions: practiceplan
This all has evolved after a system WAY ahead of it’s time, concocted by George Egofske was trampled on by two disgruntled High Schools. SICA in its ability to adapt to change would still work with the environment today with the haves and have nots. A genius design by Coach Egofske. Sad.

Reactions: mullin17
This all has evolved after a system WAY ahead of it’s time, concocted by George Egofske was trampled on by two disgruntled High Schools. SICA in its ability to adapt to change would still work with the environment today with the haves and have nots. A genius design by Coach Egofske. Sad.
I think the 2 divisions of the South Suburban Conference have carved out a stable and enduring niche for themselves as former SICA schools (except for Lemont). Year after year since 2006: 2 non-cons, followed by 6 division games with 1 cross-over mixed in-between.

George was ahead of his time in Football, Basketball, and baseball.

A forward thinking AD and a great leader.

FYI here's how the new system will work from what I know:

There will still be two Red/Blue crossover games each season.

The top Blue team will play the top DVC team
2nd place Blue team will play 2nd place DVC
etc...

The top Red team will play the last place DVC team (due to 6 DVC teams and 5 SWSC Blue teams)
The four remaining Red teams will need to find week 3 out of conference opponents

I believe they are using the 2019 standings to start.

Reactions: Cross Bones
FYI here's how the new system will work from what I know:

There will still be two Red/Blue crossover games each season.

The top Blue team will play the top DVC team
2nd place Blue team will play 2nd place DVC
etc...

The top Red team will play the last place DVC team (due to 6 DVC teams and 5 SWSC Blue teams)
The four remaining Red teams will need to find week 3 out of conference opponents

I believe they are using the 2019 standings to start.
Yuck. I guess it helps a little. If they use 2019 for next year then I we get DeKalb and with my luck in DeKalb which eliminates the main reason I want to face the DVC.

Red cannot be happy about this.

Reactions: NapervilleBuck
Yuck. I guess it helps a little. If they use 2019 for next year then I we get DeKalb and with my luck in DeKalb which eliminates the main reason I want to face the DVC.

Red cannot be happy about this.
That would give us Beast vs Valley, no?

Another close one for BBCHS who now have 3 losses by combined 8 points.
With LWE looming week 9, gonna have to win their division to get in.
That SWSC crossover deal is rough on the Red side.

Another close one for BBCHS who now have 3 losses by combined 8 points.
With LWE looming week 9, gonna have to win their division to get in.
That SWSC crossover deal is rough on the Red side.
If you are on the SWSC division cross-over record watch for this season, after last night it stands at 6 Blue wins against 1 Red win with 8 match-ups yet to go. The average margin of victory has "crashed," however, from 27 ppg to "only" 23 ppg.

If you are on the SWSC division cross-over record watch for this season, after last night it stands at 6 Blue wins against 1 Red win with 8 match-ups yet to go. The average margin of victory has "crashed," however, from 27 ppg to "only" 23 ppg.
I’d like to know what the answer is? The Red schools are in a conference just like other schools throughout the whole state.
conferences have merged, dissolved, and shuffled to accommodate.

I’m admittedly a lurker here who enjoys reading others thought and opinions on high school football but I never I see you offering a solution.
The SWSC is a pretty solid conference across the board with all 10 schools competing pretty well in most sports.
What do you want to see happen for the Red? Who is going to take them?

I’d like to know what the answer is? The Red schools are in a conference just like other schools throughout the whole state. Conferences have merged, dissolved, and shuffled to accommodate. I’m admittedly a lurker here who enjoys reading others thought and opinions on high school football but I never I see you offering a solution. The SWSC is a pretty solid conference across the board with all 10 schools competing pretty well in most sports. What do you want to see happen for the Red? Who is going to take them?
  1. Acknowledge publicly to multiple media outlets that this is a problematic, unfair set-up, exposing the win/loss percentages and margin of victory averages.
  2. Comparison to other sports is irrelevant, since only football has closed post-season entry.
  3. Regarding a solution (outside of the districts model, which is not happening), that is far above my pay grade as I do not draw the deep into 6-figure salaries commanded by the administrators responsible for awareness and action regarding such an inequity.
  4. If parents of lower level players or youth football feeder programs would truly be dialed in to how the 3rd season of this cross-over system continues to act as a ceiling for Red teams, some pressure might be brought to bear and at least take those responsible out of their current comfort zone of the easy status quo.
That's all I've got, sorry. And removing 1 of the 3 cross-over games is an unacceptable band-aid.

Reactions: SWsuburbs4
This sounds like what happened in Lake County before a new conference was created

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT