ADVERTISEMENT

Round 2 Best Matchups

Kind of wondering why machesney park Harlem is not being mentioned as a contender in 6a? They seem like a solid team. Maybe because they don’t have a winning playoff history.
Went and watched them last night. They took it to CLS in the 2nd half. Full back is a load.

Kind of wondering why machesney park Harlem is not being mentioned as a contender in 6a? They seem like a solid team. Maybe because they don’t have a winning playoff history.
Good point - they were great in the spring

If your argument for PR to reign comes without mentioning Vince Bennett of Wauconda then you haven’t seen Wauconda really play. How could you ignore their best offensive weapon?

If you think this is a whitewash I’m hoping the PR players don’t. If they do it’ll be uni turn in time Monday. Wauconda is legit.
He was good in the game I was at and I can see your point. Like I mentioned, I hope I am wrong. It’s time for some new blood deep in the 6A playoffs.

I’m still trying to decide if the FVC really was that competitive this year. A PR rematch could be a better game the second time around if it happens again.
Only one non competitive playoff game for the Fox Valley and that was last night CLS v Harlem. It was actually pretty close and competitive for a while. But, South just doesn’t have the D to hang. That was the FVC’s weakest playoff team.

Reactions: Wolffan64
I don’t know if all are the best matchups but these are my most intriguing games:

5A
Nazareth @ Marmion
Fenwick @ Rockford Boylan

6A
Lemont @ Springfield
Crete-Monee @ St. Ignatius

7A
Batavia @ Mt. Carmel
Normal @ Jacobs

8A
Warren @ Glenbard North
Glenbard West @ Lockport
Loyola @ Naperville Central

What say you? And include 1A to 4A if you could. I don’t know enough.
So LWE @ Minooka doesn’t intrigue you? I would love to hear why?

Harlem is a very solid team, only loss was 1st game of the year to 7a Hononegah. They may not win it all in 6a but they will play tough, and will not quit.
And I’m sure it’ll be mentioned soon, But it’s a closed conference and nobody talks about those.

I like their offense alot. It's really diverse and fun to watch. I can tell their HC is an Offense guy.

My best of the small school brackets:

1A Lena @ Forreston - conference rematch and likely the “de facto” state championship game

2A Wilmington @ Newman - tough 2nd round draw for the 1 seed. Should be a close, hard fought game. Both teams are perennially in the playoffs and do the same things well.

3A Monticello @ Benton - looks like could be close. Upstart Benton maybe has a suspect SOS. Monticello not dominant this year, but has pedigree and HOF coach.

4A - St. Francis @ G-K - appears to be the best matchup in 4A. Big Northern vs (old)SCC. G-K only loss a close call with Byron. St. Fran only losses were an upset by Mac and to 6A playoff team Lake Forest.

Last edited:
I dont see Minooka staying with LWE. I've seen Minooka play twice and was not overly impressed. This one has a chance to be a running clock IMO.

Not very intriguing at all. I was surprised that week 9 BBCHS played LWE as close as they did, but there might have been a let down factor and BB was fighting to make the playoffs…
I’m thinking LWE beats Minooka by 3 or 4 scores. 35-7.

Reactions: USD24
Here are eight games (one per class) that will likely be competitive and between two of the better teams in each respective class. They are listed in the order of how impactful the outcome of the game will be in determining the eventual state champion in that class.

1A Lena-Winslow vs. Forreston
7A Batavia vs. Mt. Carmel
3A IC Catholic vs. Durand-Pecatonica
5A Nazareth vs. Marmion
8A Lockport vs. Glenbard West
2A Pana vs. Maroa-Forsyth
4A Genoa-Kingston vs. St. Francis
6A St. Ignatius vs. Crete-Monee

Here are eight games (one per class) that will likely be competitive and between two of the better teams in each respective class. They are listed in the order of how impactful the outcome of the game will be in determining the eventual state champion in that class.

5A Nazareth vs. Marmion
Curious to see how the IC vs Pecatonica game plays out. Pecatonica has had one of the most impressive turnarounds these past several years. That program used to be ugly.

Reactions: Alexander32

5A Nazareth vs. Marmion
I think CM is gonna give Ignatius trouble. CM has athletes all over the field and a ton of speed.

1A state title game is this weekend with Foreston vs LW.
Think you’re probably right, but I think Athens could be a dark horse from the southern bracket. They are 9-1 and play in a conference of mostly 2A and 3A teams. They beat 2A perennial power Maroa this season and lost to defending 3A champion Williamsville by 1 TD.

I’m still trying to decide if the FVC really was that competitive this year. A PR rematch could be a better game the second time around if it happens again.
a 4-2 record in the 1st round tells me that they are competitive. Only bad loss was CLS to Harlem. Jacobs win vs Hersey told me a lot.

Reactions: msuyko
I dont see Minooka staying with LWE. I've seen Minooka play twice and was not overly impressed. This one has a chance to be a running clock IMO.
Could happen. But I think it will be a game. Minooka is pretty limited. But this isn’t the usual LWE team. I’ve seen three of their games and they are really just an above average 8A team this year. Should be better next year.

I see a close one. Doesn’t matter who wins. Winner will lose by 4 scores in the quarterfinals.

Not very intriguing at all. I was surprised that week 9 BBCHS played LWE as close as they did, but there might have been a let down factor and BB was fighting to make the playoffs…
I’m thinking LWE beats Minooka by 3 or 4 scores. 35-7.
I don’t think LWE has a running clocked any team this year. This is not the same LWE team we are all used to seeing. I hope I am wrong and East is finally starting to gel?

5A Nazareth vs. Marmion
Great games above! I'm picking......

1A Forreston
7A Batavia
3A IC
5A Marmion
8A Lockport
2A M-F
4A St. Francis
6A C-M

Loyola at Central could be a great one. Central’s D played a tremendous game against Aidan Gray and that diverse NN offense. While LA is a step up in class I think they mirror what NN tries to do.

GBN vs The Fighting MicahNewt’s should be another doozie as already mentioned. I think WT has too much for em.

Richards vs All Gas. Will ESL name their score?

I love the Fighting MicahNewt's nickname. Should be used the rest of the season.

I think CM will have trouble finding the ball on defense and SI will keep them off the field.

SI is as disciplined a team as there is and I think that will play a role as well.
If CM defense covers their assignments and do not stray, they will beat SI.

If DuPec finishes within 20 points of IC, I will have to rethink my bracket.

I don’t think that’s happening. Wauconda’s combined score through being 10-0 is 443-89. They may not have been playing the same kind of competition in their conference as the FVC but you can’t tell me a team that puts up numbers like that is going to get a running clock from PR. I guess we’ll see next Friday.
Wauconda will not be able to stop PR on offense. But lucky for them, they do not like to play defense. I've never seen a coach who makes his d line crawl against teams that run a spread O or read option. It's actually comical. Watch the film on the Hampshire game, crazy.
I still think PR will win, I believe we will get the opportunity to beat them in the semi's on our way to DeKalb.

Seriously?
Jacobs just beat up a Hersey team many had as a 7A dark horse.
Hampshire almost came back and beat 8-1 moline..7A
PR pounded VH
CLC pounded Amunssen, I know CPL team, but still
CLS well, played Harlem
and we laid waste to the Erabs..

I can see FVC 3-1 or even 4-0 this week.
Deerfield/ Central will be interesting. If VH was able to give Deerfield a game, I think Central win s this.

Reactions: Wolffan64
Seriously?
PR pounded VH
CLS well, played Harlem

Deerfield/ Central will be interesting. If VH was able to give Deerfield a game, I think Central win s this.
I think the matchups for the FVC this week are intriguing.

I agree Cary rolls this week. No slight at all what Grayslake has done, Cary is that good.

CLC Deerfield will be a good game. I don’t know how well Deerfield can handle the power running game of CLC.

Same is true for Normal vs Jacobs. Normal has great athletes and speed, Jacobs is very powerful. Good contrast.

What I think everyone is sleeping on is Wauconda PR.

Yes that PR offense is a challenge, but the speed Wauconda brings is no joke. Could be higher scoring as neither defense is overwhelming. But I think this will be a great game. I’ll be back if I’m wrong

I think the matchups for the FVC this week are intriguing.

I agree Cary rolls this week. No slight at all what Grayslake has done, Cary is that good.

CLC Deerfield will be a good game. I don’t know how well Deerfield can handle the power running game of CLC.

Same is true for Normal vs Jacobs. Normal has great athletes and speed, Jacobs is very powerful. Good contrast.

What I think everyone is sleeping on is Wauconda PR.

Yes that PR offense is a challenge, but the speed Wauconda brings is no joke. Could be higher scoring as neither defense is overwhelming. But I think this will be a great game. I’ll be back if I’m wrong
Normal scored a ton of points in a very soft conference. Jacobs rolls BIG in this one.

Personally I think Batavia is making a mistake by playing Mt Carmel on Friday night, MC is tough to get to and add in Friday rush hour they are going to end up on a bus for two hours in traffic. If they do a pregame meal they will be really rushed to get this done since they will need to be on the road by 3:30pm at the latest. I would just push the game off to Saturday, plus it allows more of your fans to travel and they do travel well.

Seriously?
PR pounded VH
CLS well, played Harlem

I can only go off of how CG manhandled the whole conference. Either they are really that good or the conference isn’t, or a little of both. We’ll find out as these playoffs progress.

Personally I think Batavia is making a mistake by playing Mt Carmel on Friday night, MC is tough to get to and add in Friday rush hour they are going to end up on a bus for two hours in traffic. If they do a pregame meal they will be really rushed to get this done since they will need to be on the road by 3:30pm at the latest. I would just push the game off to Saturday, plus it allows more of your fans to travel and they do travel well.
Sorry if I missed this somewhere, but it's Batavia's choice to play Friday. Did not know that..

As mentioned before I picked them to beat OE, this Minooka team is much different than the one you saw early on. Unless you saw them last week.
I still don’t think they’re very good. But LWE is beatable. Minooka has one playmaker and they’re getting the ball in his hands more. They could lose to LWE by three scores but they could also pull out a low scoring squeaker.

Reactions: rjjtwest
Sorry if I missed this somewhere, but it's Batavia's choice to play Friday. Did not know that..
Home team offers but Visitor must agree. Visitor proposes another time and Home may not be able to accommodate. If either team cannot come to an agreement between themselves, the IHSA will hear both sides and determine the day and time.

Not sure if Fan attendance is a consideration here. Doesnt MC only hold like 2k? MC easily has over 1000 tickets spoken for. So that would leave a quantity small enough that Batavia will easily consume regardless of when or where the game is played.

I still don’t think they’re very good. But LWE is beatable. Minooka has one playmaker and they’re getting the ball in his hands more. They could lose to LWE by three scores but they could also pull out a low scoring squeaker.
They definitely have two playmakers and one was banged up for most the season. Appears to be healthy now.

Home team offers but Visitor must agree. Visitor proposes another time and Home may not be able to accommodate. If either team cannot come to an agreement between themselves, the IHSA will hear both sides and determine the day and time.

If you have a home field Saturday is pretty much always open.

If you have a home field Saturday is pretty much always open.
Wasn’t there a regional swimming meet somewhere a few years back that caused a concern for parking and available staff. Either way, no date and time can be set without Visitor approval.

Not sure if Fan attendance is a consideration here. Doesnt MC only hold like 2k? MC easily has over 1000 tickets spoken for. So that would leave a quantity small enough that Batavia will easily consume regardless of when or where the game is played.
Thought there were no pre ticket sales, which in my mind means first come first serve.. Pretty sure that most of Carmel fans don't live close either and will be coming from their jobs like many Batavia fans..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT