ADVERTISEMENT

Rough weekend for CPS teams

The IHSA should only allow 4 CPL teams in the playoffs every year. They are by and large an embarrassment and screw up the brackets every year.

Reactions: juschill
I still have a soft spot for them but ouch.And it don't look good as far as the final 2 surviving this week.Normally CPS sends it's #1 team to the Prep Bowl vs the Middle of the Road team from the Catholic League.Rarely does CPS win & just as rare is it close.

If you look closely at the suburban conference records, there would be some really bad records if it wasn't for the CPS punching bag.
Mt.Carmel is 24-0 all time in the state playoffs vs the punching bags

I'am just saying the IHSA has gone after the private schools with a vengeance over the years,ie: multiplier, going away from 1-32 seeding for a few years in 7a and 8a and finally "the success factor, whatever that is. So they should be as equally even handed in weeding out these VERY non-competitive teams, especially the CPL teams.

If you look closely at the suburban conference records, there would be some really bad records if it wasn't for the CPS punching bag.
Caravan is 15-3-1 all time in the Prep Bowl vs the punching bags

This may be anecdotal, but them playing on friday night was a mistake too. I know the team Antioch played was poor, but dropping 3 straight kickoffs that were basic back row kicks was nuts. Like they never played a night game....

What was the thought behind the CPS schools joining the IHSA playoffs?

Previously, if they wanted to join, could they join on an individual basis?

A lot of issues here… but look at the amount of coaching positions funded and/or money allotted for positions. Difference between CPS and their opponents is one root cause of their performance in playoffs

What was the thought behind the CPS schools joining the IHSA playoffs?

Previously, if they wanted to join, could they join on an individual basis?
I think back to 82 Robeson snatching defeat from the jaws of victory in state.1987 Lane Tech had a team i honestly thought could win it all.The CPS strike killed that.Lane played a ton of games so they will become playoff eligible & were the only team to do so in CPS.They even had to agree to play their JV vs Farragut varsity to get that last win.playing 4 games in 2 weeks cost them star players who got hurt & The Caravan slid by them in Round 1.Lower Punching Bag CCL teams would often blowout mid to upper level CPS teams.Before they were let in the playoffs I'm not sure if any of the stud CPS teams would have made a ripple in the state playoffs.In fact looking back at some of their runs it was only because they were paired up against each other.

Phillips was good a few years back for two seasons. A championship loss to Rochester and then, I believe, a win the next year. What was the secret to their success?

Reactions: cigaros
The IHSA should only allow 4 CPL teams in the playoffs every year. They are by and large an embarrassment and screw up the brackets every year.
Here we go again with this. SWSB went 1-3. Maybe they should limit the SWSB. They also had an extremely poor showing last year. SWP went 1-5 also recent poor history in the playoffs. What's the cutoff line between how poorly your conference can play before the IHSA should step in and take the opportunity away from kids?

Hell, 4-5 @ large teams are in and one knocked off the conference champs Prairie Ridge. Should their conference be excluded?

Here we go again with this. SWSB went 1-3. Maybe they should limit the SWSB. They also had an extremely poor showing last year. SWP went 1-5 also recent poor history in the playoffs. What's the cutoff line between how poorly your conference can play before the IHSA should step in and take the opportunity away from kids?

Hell, 4-5 @ large teams are in and one knocked off the conference champs Prairie Ridge. Should their conference be excluded?
Exactly. DGS has lost in the first round 6 straight times. They have been outscored 218-54 or an average of 36-10. They make the playoffs because of the weak conference they play in. Should they been banned from the playoffs?

Yep. There are many conferences thankful CPS takes the arrows for them yearly.

Phillips was good a few years back for two seasons. A championship loss to Rochester and then, I believe, a win the next year. What was the secret to their success?
Mount Carmel was their farm team for a few years. Several players left MC for Phillips. Some of them very highly regarded players. That mostly ended when Lynch became coach and the program lost a ton of steam when McCalister left for Sandburg

I'am just saying the IHSA has gone after the private schools with a vengeance over the years,ie: multiplier, going away from 1-32 seeding for a few years in 7a and 8a and finally "the success factor, whatever that is. So they should be as equally even handed in weeding out these VERY non-competitive teams, especially the CPL teams.
I like the multiplier. I like the success factor. Private schools must accept the fact they do not just take what steps off the bus. I also agree with the 1-32 seeding across all classes. Frankly, I think six wins should be the only qualifier for playoffs. Eliminate any team below that. Reduced down to seven classes with an eighth class for eight man football. And watch the quality of playoff games skyrocket.

Reactions: juschill and FB1976
Their coach was phenomenal. and they were a non-boundaried school.

Last edited:
Reactions: RameyJacoby
They weren’t a true CPS school, they were an “AUSL” school. Different set of rules.. AUSL has now left.
They absolutely are (not were) a CPS school and always have been. CPS is the school district. AUSL is just a program that provides and trains teachers, it's like teach for America. Has nothing to do with what district or athletic league the school is in or its administration.

Reactions: kwamizee
I like the multiplier. I like the success factor. Private schools must accept the fact they do not just take what steps off the bus. I also agree with the 1-32 seeding across all classes. Frankly, I think six wins should be the only qualifier for playoffs. Eliminate any team below that. Reduced down to seven classes with an eighth class for eight man football. And watch the quality of playoff games skyrocket.
The multiplier also doesn't even take effect unless you've accumulated a certain number of playoff wins in the past two seasons - St. Ignatius (for example) does not have a multiplier this season, Brother Rice does.
Their coach was phenomenal. and they were a non-boundaried school.
I think people have a misunderstanding of how this works in CPS. Your right, Phillips has no attendance boundary (like Simeon), but as a student in the district you can attend any boundaried school you want as long as there is room. The attendance boundary just guarantees you a spot if you live in the bounday. There is almost always room for out-of-boundary kids. Schools Morgan Park, Lincoln Park, Amundsen, etc. all have plenty of athletes from outside their attendance area.

All this to say - it isn't really a unique advantage for Phillips - it's more of a CPS "advantage". It ends up being more of a disadvantage though, as it's hard to build a program when kids can just go to whatever the hottest school is lately (Kenwood at the moment).

Reactions: kwamizee
They absolutely are (not were) a CPS school and always have been. CPS is the school district. AUSL is just a program that provides and trains teachers, it's like teach for America. Has nothing to do with what district or athletic league the school is in or its administration.
Funding was 100% different…

Yeah that was the one year Sterling had a good chance at finally making it to the final game and instead of getting beat by the usual CCL team they got beat by a CPL team, in the semis LOL

Bones I believe the largest problem with the SWSB is the coaching changes at Sandburg, Brook, Homewood-Flossmoor, and to a degree Lockport. All are programs competing with LWE who has a stability of a 20 year experienced coaching staff. Coach Zvonar and Pallisard have been together and even LWC Coach Woodward who was with that staff and came over to the Knights is a rare situation. It usually takes time to mold a program. Coach Z has a timeframe in place but I don’t want to think about that.

Reactions: corey90

It appears relevant that the 3 SWSB teams to lose this weekend included 2 that qualified at 5-4 and the other at 6-3. So they all were on the road playing teams seeded an average of almost 16 positions above them.

Maybe this has been mentioned previously, but what about giving IHSA playoff-eligible teams from the CPL the option between entering the Prep Bowl series or sticking with the State Series? I know, however, that this would qualify more 4-5 teams.

Maybe this has been mentioned previously, but what about giving IHSA playoff-eligible teams from the CPL the option between entering the Prep Bowl series or sticking with the State Series? I know, however, that this would qualify more 4-5 teams.
Why wouldn’t they pick the state series since they are eligible for the prep bowl if they lose in the first 2 rounds of the playoffs?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT