ADVERTISEMENT

First round scores

4Afan

Sep 15, 2001
Average score of all first round games was 38.45-11.1 for an average margin of victory of 27.35.

Even if you remove the games involving CPS schools the average score was 36-11.71 for an average winning margin of 24.28.

Can we go back to 6 classes now?

Reactions: eireog
Average score of all first round games was 38.45-11.1 for an average margin of victory of 27.35.

Even if you remove the games involving CPS schools the average score was 36-11.71 for an average winning margin of 24.28.

Can we go back to 6 classes now?
I honestly have no problem with this. If it were 6 classes this year we would not have seen a 4-5 team knock out a team with a legitimate shot at a state title today. It’s a wacky wonderful tournament.

I posted this in another thread, but i think worth repeating. 16 of the last 24 championship games have been 3 score, or more, spreads. Five of last years championship games. Six of 2021. Five of 2019.

In the last 3 seasons, out of 24 championships, there have only been 4 one-score games.

Reactions: eireog
I posted this in another thread, but i think worth repeating. 16 of the last 24 championship games have been 3 score, or more, spreads. Five of last years championship games. Six of 2021. Five of 2019.

In the last 3 seasons, out of 24 championships, there have only been 4 one-score games.
Correct but we still need to go through the annual ritual. It keeps me young.

Paging @ramblinman

Reactions: 4Afan

What you have to remember though is that the majority of those were in classes split north/south rather than 1-32 and some were even when they were using "quads" to group teams geographically. The IHSA has no interest in a true champion, they want equal representation in the finals between north and south and use excessive travel times as an excuse.

From 1995-2000, the last 6 seasons where there were 6 classes only 14 out of 36 championship games were decided by 3 or more scores. The average margin of victory in the 2000 first round in all classes was a full TD lower than it was this year.

Yes, there will always be blowouts and upsets, but it's getting too crazy.

Some teams are happy beating 3 cookie cutters & going 2-4 in conference & making the playoffs each year only to get running clocked.If you're building your program then that's fine but then you need to step it up.Amundsen had a nice season but got destroyed by DePaul.I'd also take a 2-7 or 3-6 Catholic Powerhouse over some 6-3,7-2 or 8-1 who played a weak schedule

Some teams are happy beating 3 cookie cutters & going 2-4 in conference & making the playoffs each year only to get running clocked.If you're building your program then that's fine but then you need to step it up.Amundsen had a nice season but got destroyed by DePaul.I'd also take a 2-7 or 3-6 Catholic Powerhouse over some 6-3,7-2 or 8-1 who played a weak schedule
Amundsen is literally the antithesis of the point you are trying to make - they scheduled both of their noncons against non-CPS schools, one of which they won (Niles North) and one against DePaul.

PLEASE provide an example of who you consider a "Catholic Powerhouse" that won 3 games or less this year. Your options are ND, Marmion, St. Pat, Leo, and I guess Christ the King.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT