ADVERTISEMENT

Rice 20 Marist 16 FINAL - Great game to very end

Topiary

Jul 9, 2001
Great game by both sides (granted sloppy at times) but wonderfully entertaining. #41 Jefferson is a disruptive force

Is storming the field after the first game of the season a bit much?

It was an incredible game in an outstanding neighborhood rivalry, why would you care if kids run in the field, which they did after respectfully waiting until after the handshake line? Maybe you should relax a bit. Great game Crusaders!!

Reactions: Gene K.
It was an incredible game in an outstanding neighborhood rivalry, why would you care if kids run in the field, which they did after respectfully waiting until after the handshake line? Maybe you should relax a bit. Great game Crusaders!!
Eh

It's a home game - biggest rivalry game - each team has done for years at home. I will make sure that they all get detention and write a formal apology to those offended.

It's a home game - biggest rivalry game - each team has done for years at home. I will make sure that they all get detention and write a formal apology to those offended.
Humorous how much this is getting under your skin. It was merely an observation. Also, didn’t realize me posting a fairly nnocuous comment on a high school football website would cause such a stir amongst the rice faithful. Inadequacy complex? See you week 4!

Bowie - c'mon you go and rag on something as petty as kids storming the field after the handshake is over - you offered NOTHING on the game - just some snipe - so whatever deflection you want to use that's fine - I'm not letting a sourpuss like you wreck what was a great game by both sides and enjoyed by all except for perhaps you. Get some sleep - tomorrow will be a better day for you.

That hook & ladder on 4th & 16 made my stomach drop. Incredible game, one of the best I've seen in high school. Marist can look back at some bad penalties and that costly fumble late in the game but the Crusaders also played a great game. Should be a fun season.

Bowie - c'mon you go and rag on something as petty as kids storming the field after the handshake is over - you offered NOTHING on the game - just some snipe - so whatever deflection you want to use that's fine - I'm not letting a sourpuss like you wreck what was a great game by both sides and enjoyed by all except for perhaps you. Get some sleep - tomorrow will be a better day for you. Oh no my inferiority complex is showing again. Let me go beat up my wife and kids.
It certainly is...

Back to the game...

QB Bean, WR Summers and TE O’Keeffe stood out on O. Can’t comment on O line play from my view.

DE Jefferson - wow

FS Iraci, CB Means and LB Fitzgerald solid on D.

Special teams is a concern across the board.

Marist - Markett and Skalitzky are gamers and Thompson is a special talent. Doesn’t appear they have the O and D lines of recent vintage.

And that hook and ladder play almost killed me.

Just because the Loyola Boys and Girls are off at practice for Crew and don’t attend games doesn’t mean that a bunch of high school kids on the south side in a rivalry game need to seek your approval.

The one thing I will say is that the kids announcing trying to compare O’Keefe to Marwede is wishful thinking and not even a within the realm of reality. O’Keefe is a good player and will do well at Harvard though.

Good luck Ramblers. Take it easy on us in Week 4. This season could be very long or very short, and not necessarily for the same reasons.

Marist will put up big O numbers this year.
Jefferson is a beast

Thought O line of BR played very well but not sure what they really went up against tonight

That hook & ladder on 4th & 16 made my stomach drop. Incredible game, one of the best I've seen in high school. Marist can look back at some bad penalties and that costly fumble late in the game but the Crusaders also played a great game. Should be a fun season.
That was a hell of a play and my stomach dropped too. Sloppy game in the first half. Both sides cleaned it up in second. Hopefully this will help Rice build some momentum going forward.

Just because the Loyola Boys and Girls are off at practice for Crew and don’t attend games doesn’t mean that a bunch of high school kids on the south side in a rivalry game need to seek your approval.

The one thing I will say is that the kids announcing trying to compare O’Keefe to Marwede is wishful thinking and not even a within the realm of reality. O’Keefe is a good player and will do well at Harvard though.

Good luck Ramblers. Take it easy on us in Week 4. This season could be very long or very short, and not necessarily for the same reasons.
Lol

As someone with no horse in the race, I thought it was an entertaining game, but wasn’t overly impressed by either team, few players had nice games but I must have said “You gotta be kidding me” 6 times. I don’t know why Skalitzky wasnt involved in the final four plays.

As someone with no horse in the race, I thought it was an entertaining game, but wasn’t overly impressed by either team, few players had nice games but I must have said “You gotta be kidding me” 6 times. I don’t know why Skalitzky wasnt involved in the final four plays.

Very fair take.

Rice's D came to play. D line is the real deal. They'll give fits to several of their opponents this year. Linebackers are very physical and decent speed. I was very impressed with the db's especially Means and Iraci(sp?) Too tired to look it up.

Bean is a gritty tough QB. His legs kept the chains moving all night. He telegraphed a few passes but will improve. RBs did okay. Receivers steadily improved throughout the game.

Unfortunately, their lack of a pure kicker will result in at least two losses. Tryouts at 11am tomorrow.

This was a must win. CM will come to play but if Rice plays up to their potential then should be undefeated going into Loyola.

OT I was impressed with Rice's sophomore team numbers and very concerned with lack off on the Marist sideline.

Great game by both teams. Rice showed some grit at the end of the game, which is great to see. I want to give a shoutout to two players from Rice. First Iraci saved the game with a chase down tackle on the hook and ladder play by Marist. Came from the middle of the field and saved the game by not giving up on the play. Second, Jayson Means was an absolute stud on the final drive. He had two pass breakups, one coverage that lead the receiver out of bounds and a great tackle on a screen play. Great game from both teams, but those two players really elevated their game on the final drive. Love to see that from players in the secondary.

Glad to see McCoy come back in second half for Rice. Marist is going to struggle with both lines. I thought Rice was the better talent but made some big mistakes.

The kicking game for Rice stunk

Overall - the QBs really had their ways running. The spread Os really open the lanes for QBs who can run and while Markett and Bean aren't the fastest - they were both hard nosed runners who got the yards their Os needed. Markett throws a nice ball but had some pressure put on this game (unlike last year) especially by 41 and even 10. Marist DL also had their moments too. Overall two pretty evenly matched teams. Thompson is a great WR but he got pushed around some and DBs shed his cover blocks quite a bit by Means- so he'll need to gain some weight to get up to Smalling calibur next year Summers came alive in the 2nd half and showed he can be a threat. Great game by both teams

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT