ADVERTISEMENT

Rank the most important NFL position

NNFAN

Sep 9, 2001
Naperville, IL
Guys... was listening to sports radio today discussing the NFL games this weekend. One topic was the most important positions on both sides of the ball, and where/how much to allocate $$ for that position. Thoughts? Here is my ranking...

1. QB (obviously)
2. WR (tie)
2. CB (tie)
4. MLB
5. OLB/ DE
6. LT
7. DT/ NG
8. RB
9. C
10. FS
11. TE
12. SS
13. RT
14. LG
15. RG
16. K
17. FB
18. P

Guys... was listening to sports radio today discussing the NFL games this weekend. One topic was the most important positions on both sides of the ball, and where/how much to allocate $$ for that position. Thoughts? Here is my ranking...

1. QB (obviously)
2. WR (tie)
2. CB (tie)
4. MLB
5. OLB/ DE
6. LT
7. DT/ NG
8. RB
9. C
10. FS
11. TE
12. SS
13. RT
14. LG
15. RG
16. K
17. FB
18. P

Given the impact that K has relative to field position and points scored (and not scored) and that P has relative to field position, I'm not convinced they deserve such low rankings. I get that they aren't out there playing down after down.. But, still, relative to the downs that they do play, their impact in the outcome of NFL games is substantial.

And why is the QB "obviously" #1? Obviously, teams need someone with a good arm and a good head for the game. I get that, too. But, how impactful is it to take a snap and hand the ball off half the time?

Is TE appropriately ranked?

Even though this thread has "NFL" in its title, I think we know how Nick Saban would reply to this question based on Monday night's game ... probably Jim Harbaugh, too.

Given the impact that K has relative to field position and points scored (and not scored) and that P has relative to field position, I'm not convinced they deserve such low rankings. I get that they aren't out there playing down after down.. But, still, relative to the downs that they do play, their impact in the outcome of NFL games is substantial.

And why is the QB "obviously" #1? Obviously, teams need someone with a good arm and a good head for the game. I get that, too. But, how impactful is it to take a snap and hand the ball off half the time?

Is TE appropriately ranked?
Ramblin... how would you rank the positions? Remember I also mentioned allocating $$. You don't believe that the QB is the most important?

Even though this thread has "NFL" in its title, I think we know how Nick Saban would reply to this question based on Monday night's game ... probably Jim Harbaugh, too.
Nick Saban wins with superior talent at virtually every position. He can afford to have a non-star at QB, few others can. If we were talking high school... I would elevate the RB position, and drop the CB a bit.

Ramblin... how would you rank the positions? Remember I also mentioned allocating $$. You don't believe that the QB is the most important?

I seriously don't know how I would rank them all and I don't have the time at the moment to give it the thought that it deserves.

Especially from a $$ allocation perspective, I think K and P are underpaid relative to others.

I think QB is very important, given how often they have the ball in their hands and what they do with it, but keep in mind they are handing it off half the time. My issue was more with your use of the word "obviously."

I think that some teams have proven that they can be successful without a top tier QB. Look no further than the two Super Bowl QBs in the year that the Bears won the Super Bowl. McMahon was not a top tier QB (and neither was Steve Fuller, his replacement for five games that year while McMahon was injured). Tony Eason had the fourth worst passer rating in the NFL that year but his team made it to the Super Bowl anyway. I realize that's ancient history, and that the game has changed, but I still think a team can succeed with an average QB if it has a surrounding cast of great players.

NFL position ranking will vary greatly compared to High School. In HS usually your best DBs end up playing FS/SS/Rover because they can cover and also go downhill to runstop. A lot of those guys get converted to CB in college especially the ones with smooth hips. Also there is not nearly the passing game in HS compared to NFL so lock down corner (while awesome to have) are not nearly as high up the High School list in my mind.

NFL -
QB - see Broncos
LT - see SeaHawks
CB
WR - field stretcher (see Bears)
OLB/SS - the guy(s) that can cover all the Gronks entering the NFL and creating mismatches. Cam Chancellor types.
DE(s) - pass rush critical
RT
DT - stuff the inside run.
RB - there are a ton of good ones. So the pay will be lower because lots of supply and short shelf life.
ILB - all the Def calls? Needs to be smart!
C - all the Oline calls? Needs to be smart!
FS/nickel
G - important for the run game but lots of OLineman can play guard. Not as many Tackles or Centers

Interesting question. Not sure I got it right. If more time would love to juxtapose a forum concensus NFL position ranking versus a High School position ranking with comments explaination!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT