ADVERTISEMENT

Question for the FREE Boarders

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
I have the ability to open and launch a live chat feature which can be used inside this forum.....

My initial thoughts is to have a running weekly chat on Friday nights.....say during live games and postgame.....obviously I would need to be in the chat but can hopefully pull it off.

The question is....would you take part in these if you could? Again just like an old school chat with the board posters in the same room at the same time....like WWE...could be fun.

Let me know

Would absolutely love this. If used correctly - most posters on here are serious and serious about reporting scores/updates. Could be a very useful tool to crowdsource updates and people to follow so our Friday nights stay very informed.

Royal Rumble Wrestling GIF by WWE

Friday night!!!!!!

honestly, not if I was attending a game. would probably get better attendance if you had it Thursday night.

I have the ability to open and launch a live chat feature which can be used inside this forum.....

My initial thoughts is to have a running weekly chat on Friday nights.....say during live games and postgame.....obviously I would need to be in the chat but can hopefully pull it off.

The question is....would you take part in these if you could? Again just like an old school chat with the board posters in the same room at the same time....like WWE...could be fun.

Let me know

Regarding the Friday Night Chat, I think there are exactly two days during this prep football season when this idea would work, and one of the two (Week 1, East St. Louis vs. Mt. Carmel) has already passed.
The other is championship Saturday at ISU.
Edgy referred to the "WWE Chat" as an example, but there is an enormous difference between that chat and what is being considered here.
That is, on the WWE chat, every participant is watching the same thing ... RAW or Smackdown or a premium live event.
So, when somebody offers up a statement such as, "That was a huge botch by Roman Reigns. Kevin Owens is lucky he didn't break his neck." Another chatter can respond, perhaps seconding that position or defending Roman Reigns by saying Kevin Owens needs to be in better shape.
The point is, you can discuss what's happening because both people are watching the same event.
That's NOT the case with Friday Night Football. This is just an example I am making up. Fan at the game chats that "Bolingbrook's QB is holding the ball too long and that's why he's getting sacked so often."
The problem is that nobody else is watching the game and so nobody can respond and either A) agree with the statement; B) Say it's not the QB's fault because the O-line resembles swiss cheese; or C) It's not on Bolingbrook. The opponent's defense is just dominating."
A Bears chat room during Sunday's game vs. the Packers obviously would work because all the chatters would be watching the same game.
That pretty much happened on Saturday night of Week 1 when thanks to youtube, there were more than 3,500 people viewing the high school game, plus all those live at the game. Obviously, a lot of Edgy free boarders tuned in.
And that large group will again be tuned in on state-championship Saturday. And when we're all watching the same game, we can comment with each other in real time. in a chat.
But for the rest of the season, I can't see how creating a chat room on Friday nights is any better than what we currently have on the free message board.
Right now, somebody sends a message saying (just making up an example) that Mt. Carmel trails St. Rita 28-0 after one quarter, and people on the forum can react to it. But since they aren't watching that game, they can't comment on stupid penalties, or bad coaching decisions or brilliant trick plays.
In fact, creating a chat might be a negative because the chat comments by people at the game posting scores and highlights won't be available on the regular forum. Free boarders maybe are watching Maine South vs. Palatine on Friday night and when they get home they. check the free board to get a feel of what happened around the state.
What will he be able to see?
From this side of the computer, it feels like you are actually going to hurt the free board because the exact same comments that normally would be included on the free board now won't be because they'll be in a chat.
Try the chat out on championship Saturday, and it might be an enjoyable experience.
I mean, think of the possible live chat in 2021 when East St. Louis had no answer for Cary-Grove's ground attack and it cost them the state title.
Or perhaps some creative live chat in 2019 when an apparent much-needed touchdown by Warren's defensive unit was somehow. waved off in what turned out to be a loss to Lincoln-Way East.
That, to me, is when a chat room is viable. When all are watching the same thing.

The chat should really just be used for score updates, that's it. Anything else will become diluted and an invitation for nonsense.

Sounds like a great idea. Until someone brings up " Private schools vs. Public schools "

I think as a test run the chat should be for score updates only. Would be nice to have just the scores all in one place.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT