ADVERTISEMENT

Q: Top 100 IHSA Football Teams of All Time?

1990, seems like it was just yesterday and Powlus' first start. That lose to Fairfield was their only lose of the year until the state title game. That said their best season was probably 1992 his senior year. Again 1996 no way MC beats DLS or Berwick.

Originally posted by jwarigaku:
1990, seems like it was just yesterday and Powlus' first start. That lose to Fairfield was their only lose of the year until the state title game. That said their best season was probably 1992 his senior year. Again 1996 no way MC beats DLS or Berwick.
So who was on the 1996 DLS and Berwick teams? Did you see any of the three teams mentioned play?

MC was supposed to lose bad to Moeller in 90. Moeller already had a game under their belt and 2 scrimmages vs teams. I personally put that 90 MC team at #2 as best MC I have seen. 88 was very good but McGrew just puts them ahead, MC actually had no trouble with Moeller at all that day. Took a knee at 1 at end also coulda won by 3 TDs

Dean,

Moeller was a bit over rated in 1990 went 9-2 with an early out in the playoffs, again seemed like a great win at the time for MC.

MC140,

Saw Berwick play several times in 1996 solid team no big superstars but that's not what it always takes to win. Also saw MC and DLS play while traveling on business, my opinion is that MC gets beat at their own game by Berwick and the top gets blown off by DLS. Two different game approaches but same net result.

1. Lawton (Okla) Eisenhower (14-0)
2. Houston Aldine (15-0)
3. Gainesville (Fla.) Buchholz (14-0)
4. San Diego Morse (14-0)
5. Warren (Ohio) Harding (14-0)
6. Louisville Trinity (14-0)
7. Chicago Mount Carmel (14-0)

where Berwick!!!!!

Dean,

Another meaningless national ranking, Berwick was playing with a sophomore QB. You will see MC as the best there ever was so I'm done arguing. Some will say I will never see Illinois football measure up to the big guys and thats probably true as well. Dean over all I think you generally have pretty good insight, but you have an issue with smaller schools and certainly can't see anything but Brown being the best in the state of Illinois

99 naperville c team

===

Didn't Bishop Amat from California come in and beat that Naperville Central team?

I remember that Naperville Central team with Ryan Clifford and no way would I rank them in the top of the best of all time in IL.

Wassup
This post was edited on 1/22 7:43 PM by Wassup13

Wassup,

That was in 1996 when amaht flew from California and clobbered napervulle central. I think it was like 35 to 7. It really was a whipping.

It was in 1998 and it was 28-7.
NC went up 7-0 in 1Q and then Amat scored 28 unanswered.
This post was edited on 1/23 6:24 AM by SiuCubFan8

2008 EastSide with Hawthorne, Appleton, Wray and Moulton was a SCARY GOOD team. Monstrous size and two All-American receivers, amazing team speed and physical as hell.

Anyone remember this team?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5BEbU_H1Y0

Originally posted by crusader_of_90:
2008 EastSide with Hawthorne, Appleton, Wray and Moulton was a SCARY GOOD team. Monstrous size and two All-American receivers, amazing team speed and physical as hell.

Anyone remember this team?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5BEbU_H1Y0
Yes sir. Geneva kept in close in the final through three quarters and then it was all over.
Geneva's Michael Ratay needed one rushing TD to break the IHSA record....didn't get it (caught one but doesn't go toward the record).
It was bittersweet watching Terry Hawthorne rip apart my Vikings but knowing he'd be in Champaign the following year.
Geneva rips apart just about anyone else in the final that year except that ESL team....story of Geneva's program.

Who was the program architect of the Bishop Amat program?

Where in Illinois did he also make a huge impact?

Several WWS teams mentioned including 96, 98 and 2006. Surprised no one has mentioned the 2010 South team. Won 14 games by an average score of 42-8 and destroyed the 8A champion (MS) in the second game of the season, 44-7. Did not see the 96 team play, but saw the 98, 06, and 10 teams. Hard too say which of the 3 was the best South team, as they were all very good. 98 and 10 get the most mentions as the best South teams, but the 2006 was very dominant, beating teams by an average of 41-8 and they weren't challenged in the playoffs, winning those games by an average score of 37-9, with the closest scores being 23 point victories over York in the semis and Mount Carmel in the championship. I believe all 3 of these teams are in the discussion when talking about some of the best teams in the IHSA during the past 40 years.

Let's face it-- this is one tough question. To answer it you would have to follow all the top high school football teams over the past 40 years and then compare the top teams from different years who never played each other.

I would not know where to start to figure it out.

Wassup

Originally posted by illini14:

I would say the 1993 Belvidere team that won 5A should be on the list somewhere.

Went undefeated that year against Rockford Boylan (beat them twice), beat ESL in the playoffs, and Bolingbrook (who was #1 at the time in the state) featuring Greg Williams and Corey Day in the state final. The bucs ran a no-huddle offense out of the wishbone that was a little before its time with all of hurry up offenses that are used now, Vern Pottinger was the head coach who lead the Bucs to being the best high school program in the Rockford are during the 80's and 90's before Rockford Boylan took over in the 00's. And yes, Rockford area football was respectable back then, unlike now. Didn't have any D1 players, but some how found a way to go 14-0, run the ball, and play great defense.

Bucs finished 12th in the country in the USA today poll ahead of 14th ranked Marian Catholic out of Chicago Heights.

They also followed it up with a 1994 title in 4A with many returners from the previous year.
That Belividere team is obviously #1.
Then that Beutjer WWS team #2.
The following 98, who knows?

I wouldn't argue the Belvidere team would be #1, defiantly high on the list. The Mount Carmel teams with DM and Simeon Rice has to get serious consideration for #1, as well as the WWS teams that blew the doors off of some people...

I will admit being from Belvidere, that there are several people that would admit that if the field wasn't frozen that day at ISU, and if Bolingbrook wouldn't have kept running option into the boundary, the game could been much different.

I wouldn't argue the Belvidere team would be #1, defiantly high on the list. The Mount Carmel teams with DM and Simeon Rice has to get serious consideration for #1, as well as the WWS teams that blew the doors off of some people...

I will admit being from Belvidere, that there are several people that would admit that if the field wasn't frozen that day at ISU, and if Bolingbrook wouldn't have kept running option into the boundary, the game could been much different.
Donovan McNabb never won a title as the starting QB and Simeon Rice only started his Senior Season.

But the field was frozen. And we ran the option. Have to credit the victor! Then Belvi won again the following year so we're not talking about a flash in the pan.

Okay I will join the group of homers! Lol

2005 LWE 14-0

Beat WWS semis
Beat MS at State 8A

Trusty USA Today ranked them 9 in the country.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT