ADVERTISEMENT

Best IHSA offense of all time from 7A/8A ?

colin2229

Jul 23, 2005
The thread "what did we learn week 8" has had some great posts regarding small school offenses of the past. Caused me to look up the all time IHSA team offensive records - link. All the records are held by schools from 6A and under.

So.....what is the best offense of all time from the 7A/8A schools?

Fun fact...most yards in a game was by Chicago Hope (870 yards) in 2016. Too bad they gave up 807 yards and lost 91-70 :oops::oops:

I know not 7A or 8A but WWS putting up 611 yards of offense in the 1998 state title game is still pretty damn impressive especially considering they didn't really play their starters in the 4th quarter.

Reactions: colin2229
The thread "what did we learn week 8" has had some great posts regarding small school offenses of the past. Caused me to look up the all time IHSA team offensive records - link. All the records are held by schools from 6A and under.

So.....what is the best offense of all time from the 7A/8A schools?

Fun fact...most yards in a game was by Chicago Hope (870 yards) in 2016. Too bad they gave up 807 yards and lost 91-70 :oops::oops:
You also have to remember we've only had 7A and 8A since 2001.

I know not 7A or 8A but WWS putting up 611 yards of offense in the 1998 state title game is still pretty damn impressive especially considering they didn't really play their starters in the 4th quarter.
I remember watching that game and that was literally the first team that came to mind. That offense was incredible.

Reactions: prince_of_pilfer
found this gem recently:

Reactions: USD24
If we are going "high school offense," I am reaching way back in the memory bank for Carmel of Mundelein, 14-0 in 2003, 6A state champ ... beat 5A state champ Joliet Catholic 41-14 Week 9, scored 600 total points in. 14 games (42-plus point per game average), hung 54 on Bloomington in the state finals with I think a quarterback who basically never played because the starting qb went down with an injury I believe in the state semifinals.
I call this high school offense as it was the old wing-T with one of the wings in motion on every play, the fullback lined up behind the QB who was under center, and the QB also could run himself on. the option.
The team basically only passed the ball on days that. did not end in "Y."
They were unstoppable and in my opinion would have annihilated 7A champ Oswego which survived to win its title in OT.
Obviously, people who follow Oswego will see that differently.

If we are going "high school offense," I am reaching way back in the memory bank for Carmel of Mundelein, 14-0 in 2003, 6A state champ ... beat 5A state champ Joliet Catholic 41-14 Week 9, scored 600 total points in. 14 games (42-plus point per game average), hung 54 on Bloomington in the state finals with I think a quarterback who basically never played because the starting qb went down with an injury I believe in the state semifinals.
I call this high school offense as it was the old wing-T with one of the wings in motion on every play, the fullback lined up behind the QB who was under center, and the QB also could run himself on. the option.
The team basically only passed the ball on days that. did not end in "Y."
They were unstoppable and in my opinion would have annihilated 7A champ Oswego which survived to win its title in OT.
Obviously, people who follow Oswego will see that differently.
That was a great team!

For best defense, it has to be Pittsfield. I'm sure you guys remember the Tribune article from a few years back, which showcased the 32 best high school teams in Illinois history, some of them pre-IHSA. I left town in '66, so I had never heard of the Saukees, but that article was a revelation--64 consecutive wins, seven straight unbeaten and untied seasons, and then that one perfect year, 1970, when they were didn't allow a single point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT