ADVERTISEMENT

Q of the Week: Who's the best IHSA Football player you've ever seen

Rashard Mendenhall - He was nearly unstoppable and he played for Niles West. I can't imagine what kind of HS player he would have been had he played for one of the traditional state powers.

John Foley was a beast.

I haven’t attended a great many high school games the past several years. However, went to Holy Cross back in the day when they had some really solid teams. So for me, Garrett Wolfe hands down.
For a single game, I believe it was 2005, Holy Cross faced St Viator in the final conference game with the winner conference champions (Holy Cross won on a last second FG). But Wolfe and Viator QB Brett Basanez both were amazing
I covered that game for the Sun Times and it was in 2000. Cross wins 37-36 on a last second field goal. Basanaez throws for 250 and a pair of TD's. Wolfe rushed for 250 yards and 3 touchdowns. When I asked him about it he said. "It's Friday the 13th and there is a full moon. What better night for a Wolfe."

Last edited:
I covered that game for the Sun Times and it was in 2000. Cross wins 37-36 on a last second field goal. Basanaez throws for 250 and a pair of TD's. Wolfe rushed for 250 yards and 3 touchdowns. When I asked him about it he said. "It's Friday the 13th and there is a full moon. What better night for a Wolfe."
I remember the build up to that being incredible

Rashard Mendenhall - He was nearly unstoppable and he played for Niles West. I can't imagine what kind of HS player he would have been had he played for one of the traditional state powers.
Probably would have been apart of lots of running clock games that dilute his stats. But also a few state championships

As a kid: Deerfield's Mark Carlson QB, Brian Collins RB/S and John Sweeney FB
As a Player: Dempsey Norman Tilden
As an adult: Riley Lees Libertyville, I believe the QB to Rush over 2,000 yards and throw for over 2,000 yards in a season.

Reactions: Schwab54
As a kid: Deerfield's Mark Carlson QB, Brian Collins RB/S and John Sweeney FB
As a Player: Dempsey Norman Tilden
As an adult: Riley Lees Libertyville, I believe the QB to Rush over 2,000 yards and throw for over 2,000 yards in a season.
Mark Carlson made me chuckle. I was in high school the same years as him. We never had any contact or played against each other, but I certainly read about him. I looked up his Senior year stats and it said 2600 yds passing and 11 touchdowns. Seems pretty normal now but back in 1979 these were HUGE numbers.

Reactions: mmca
Easy question but one that I thought could be fun to throw around....whoever is the best IHSA Football player you've ever saw in person...post them here.
In no particular order:
Matt Perez
Peter Skoronski
Justin Jackson
Rashard Mendenhall

Reactions: epicbret
Just curious, I personally did not see McNabb in person, just shocked he hasn't been mentioned yet.
Please don't destroy my house Mt. Carmel posters but my recollection of him in HS was the same mantle he wore in the pro's. He tended to choke when needed the most. Please spare the wife!!!

Reactions: Blue Ruin
All.... For SHG. This is really an impossible question to answer. The Cyclones had (and have) so many. One comes to mind if the measuring stick is strictly wins and losses. QB Bobby Brennesien. Now I think I have this stat correct. He never lost a game in all four years at SHG. Back to back titles in 05 and 06. (28-0) 18-0 at the freshman and sophomore levels. That's pretty unusual. Ratsy

Saw in Person
Albert Okwuegbunam-SHG. The only CS8 player that I was sure the first time I watched him would play in the NFL. Amazing combo of size and speed.
Jacob DuRocher-Rochester. Rochester career leading rusher and 3rd or 4th all time in the CS8, who lost up to 8 more games from his senior season that would have added to his numbers. Can’t remember him fumbling his last 3 years. A punishing runner who would take on any tackler.
Nic Baker-Rochester. His senior year stats were insane, 50 some Td’s and only 2 INT’s. A gunslinger with swagger.

Saw TV Only
Jordan Westerkamp-Montini. Had huge title games against both Chatham and Joliet Catholic. Made one big play after another.
Ty Issac-Joliet Catholic. 515 yards rushing in 2011 state title game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT