ADVERTISEMENT

Q of the Week: Who's the best IHSA Football player you've ever seen

Bo was a man
One of my first varsity snaps ever I got thrown in at DB vs Walther Lutheran as a freshman. Bo Flowers Sr, with a sucker in his mouth, looks at me and says “Let’s see what ol #5’s got” (I was #5). Bo Flowers SR was the HC and play caller.

Bo Flowers JR ran a QB sweep my way with the fullback lead blocking for me. The fullback destroyed me and I went flying to the ground. I rolled over to see Bo running untouched for a 50yd TD.

I looked back at Flowers Sr and he gave me a wink and a smile then proceeded to enjoy his sucker.

We were defeated that day 69-7 for a homecoming loss.

Those Walther teams were awesome. Always scratched our heads and wondered why never have deep playoff runs.

He might be the most terrifying I ever saw.

Julian Love is the best all-around football player I ever saw, along with Samson Evans, Alante Brown and Bo Flowers.

Best passers were McCarthy, Budmayr and Brasic.
Jared Funk from St Viator was a tremendous passer. I’d say he was the best passer I’ve seen in person. I saw McCarthy and Budmayr as well.

Also didn’t know anything about Funk when I saw him play. Perhaps that had something to do w how impressed I was of him when I saw him vs JCA.

Jared Funk from St Viator was a tremendous passer. I’d say he was the best passer I’ve seen in person. I saw McCarthy and Budmayr as well.

Also didn’t know anything about Funk when I saw him play. Perhaps that had something to do w how impressed I was of him when I saw him vs JCA.
He was very good, beat my brother's team.

I still don't think he was better though

Reactions: colin2229
One of my first varsity snaps ever I got thrown in at DB vs Walther Lutheran as a freshman. Bo Flowers Sr, with a sucker in his mouth, looks at me and says “Let’s see what ol #5’s got” (I was #5). Bo Flowers SR was the HC and play caller.

Bo Flowers JR ran a QB sweep my way with the fullback lead blocking for me. The fullback destroyed me and I went flying to the ground. I rolled over to see Bo running untouched for a 50yd TD.

I looked back at Flowers Sr and he gave me a wink and a smile then proceeded to enjoy his sucker.

We were defeated that day 69-7 for a homecoming loss.

Those Walther teams were awesome. Always scratched our heads and wondered why never have deep playoff runs.
They faced officials.

I also got destroyed by a Walther fullback trying to stop that option.

• Haha
Reactions: Gene K.
They faced officials.

I also got destroyed by a Walther fullback trying to stop that option.
Who did you play for?

I think playing the farm schools was a different brand of football that they perhaps struggled with. You’d think they would have destroyed those team w their speed and ability to throw the ball.

Who did you play for?

I think playing the farm schools was a different brand of football that they perhaps struggled with. You’d think they would have destroyed those team w their speed and ability to throw the ball.
Nazareth, faced the Zemke/Flowers team. "Take on the fullback" they said... he was 220 and I was 170 lol

They faced questionable officials. We hated them and still admittedly they got hosed.

Nazareth, faced the Zemke/Flowers team. "Take on the fullback" they said... he was 220 and I was 170 lol

They faced questionable officials. We hated them and still admittedly they got hosed.
Got it. You probably had some good games against my brothers who were are Aurora Central back in the 90’s and early 2000’s.

Reactions: epicbret
Jerry Schumacher
Never saw him live, but when he is introduced at the beginning of the '98 title game against PC, half the crowd boos him and the other half says "Schuuu!" He must have put on a defensive display when MC beat Providence earlier in the season.

Reactions: forlouann
I do have to put LB3 in this conversation. Laquan is comparable with his physical dominance.

What Hickey did, cracking 3100 yards and no one had done so for a couple of decades, was spectacular! Everyone knew what was coming. And he still gained 10-plus a carry.

I think only Hershel Walker and Ken Hall, don’t the 1950s, had more than Hickey - and and we played only 8 regular season games and he got kicked out of one of them in the first quarter. Rarely played more than a series in the second half.
I saw Laqoun tread well vs Cary grove, best player I’ve ever seen in person. He was the no.1 receiver in the country and it showed. Really good defensive player as well.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
I haven’t attended a great many high school games the past several years. However, went to Holy Cross back in the day when they had some really solid teams. So for me, Garrett Wolfe hands down.
For a single game, I believe it was 2005, Holy Cross faced St Viator in the final conference game with the winner conference champions (Holy Cross won on a last second FG). But Wolfe and Viator QB Brett Basanez both were amazing.

Okay staying in somewhat of the stated question. The best HS player I have seen in the 30 years I have been watching HS Fb. Jeff Samardziga (valpo QB) withh Pierre Thomas (TFS RB). Having said that, Cliff Floyd (Thrwd) and Kevin Garnett (Frg), were unbelievable.

Also didn’t know anything about Funk when I saw him play. Perhaps that had something to do w how impressed I was of him when I saw him vs JCA

True story....Sharp told Funk after the game that he would play him at Wing if he went to JCA.

In person....

QB: Dante Warren - Saint Viator
RB: Ty Isaac
WR: Westerkamp
OL: Bulaga
DL: Matt Roth
LB: Mike Burden
DB: ??

They were a solid program back then
I seem to remember right before Bo, they had 2 monster running backs, I believes both went to Michigan State, Giles maybe and something else. Giles was the big bruiser then there was a speed guy.

I seem to remember right before Bo, they had 2 monster running backs, I believes both went to Michigan State, Giles maybe and something else. Giles was the big bruiser then there was a speed guy.
Hutchinson. He was a great player.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT