ADVERTISEMENT

Q of the Week: Did Northwestern build a future host site for IHSA Football finals?

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
Again on Saturday covered the Lane Tech MP game at Gately....came home had some pizza and did some work while I had the Indiana at Purdue game on. Was really impressed at the temporary stadium at Northwestern. Seats 12k looked pretty cool overall. First thought that came in my head is "Is Indiana really undefeated" and the second was Could they host the IHSA state football finals here? Again it's decent capacity but still small enough to be loud and look great on TV.....sure the weather will be horrible but so is DeKalb, Normal and everywhere else we go in late November. The surface is turf (unlike the new stadium under construction) so it would meet IHSA field requirements in the contract...they obviously have a great indoor facility next to the stadium etc.

Just a thought and feel free to knock this around.

As far as the facility itself, absolutely. Could think of no better atmosphere. Maybe then the IHSA would seed all classes 1-32 since they claim travel times is the reason they divide classes into north/south. I mean if you're going to make a southern team travel to Evanston then they can't claim travel is a concern to them.

The first question that comes to mind knowing it's location, is parking where I believe there is absolutely none.

The other question is, I know this is a temporary location for NU, but does the university indend to keep the stadium as is once the new Ryan Field is complete?

Reactions: cigaros
The stadium is there permanent home for NW soccer but I believe much of the seating is temporary.

I say this site has no chance.

sure the weather will be horrible but so is DeKalb, Normal and everywhere else we go in late November.
Having played on that field in November before, the windy coming off the lake is brutal. Amazing setting but huge impact on the play. With the seating being so small there would not be much of a buffer to cut down on the wind.

The crowds at state championship weekend have been disappointing no matter where they've been played in my opinion. Reality is most people would rather sit and complain from home. The fan bases that travel well are going to do that no matter what. Leave it at Hancock and figure out how to market it where people want to actually be in the building.

I was told by a member of the faculty that the facility was initially made as a football practice space

It has since morphed into hosting many different activities including graduation

The one drawback

The parking garage was built to accommodate minimal traffic and is not set up to meet the need of 12k

- to clarify

The exit / entrance get congested and backed up easy due to how they are layer out

It’s an incredible field

1. U of I
2. ISU
Dekalb is a dump and the stadium is terrible
I agree with the assessment of Dekalb and Huskie stadium. However, I do see Hancock Stadium as more accessible to the majority of semifinal teams over the past 15 years.

What are the percentage of seats in the end zones? It looks great on TV, but I'm sure a majority of the fans on this site who sit between the 30's every weekend, wouldn't enjoy the view from the end zones for a high school game.

Reactions: cigaros
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT