ADVERTISEMENT

Q of the Week: 2024 Preseason IHSA Football Player of the Year?

That and the opportunity to graduate early and be an early enrollee at Michigan. I don't believe Naz has the option of graduating early but could be wrong.
Doubtful. I haven’t seen any Chicago area catholic schools allow it, but I could be wrong.

Reactions: Jenny27
How does that work? You have to plan a few years ahead and take classes in summer?
You need to work with your counselor to get approval. Part of approval is you need to be committed to a college and it's a fall sport that you will be playing in college. I believe it's only for athletes as that is what i have seen. You do it the summer between junior and senior year.

Reactions: chakazulu89
Doubtful. I haven’t seen any Chicago area catholic schools allow it, but I could be wrong.
There's rules and then there's rules. I know of more than a few schools that have a general expectation that there are no early graduates who have made exceptions for high level recruits who want to get on campus in January. Not sure how they handle the credits or plan ahead on that, but schools have to balance wanting that last semester of tuition from everyone with the understanding that some of the best and brightest both academically and athletically may expect to graduate early and denying that option is not a great way to attract and retain the best and brightest.

You need to work with your counselor to get approval. Part of approval is you need to be committed to a college and it's a fall sport that you will be playing in college. I believe it's only for athletes as that is what i have seen. You do it the summer between junior and senior year.
If covid hadn't happened, I strongly believe based on what others have told me in the know that JJ would have transfered for his senior season to his public school. Just like Tyler Morris did the year after JJ. He left to go to Plainfield East (although he was injured) so he could be an early entry.

If covid hadn't happened, I strongly believe based on what others have told me in the know that JJ would have transfered for his senior season to his public school. Just like Tyler Morris did the year after JJ. He left to go to Plainfield East (although he was injured) so he could be an early entry.
You don't have to make up scenarios. Especially from years ago.

• Wow
Reactions: corey90 and MMA_Det
There's rules and then there's rules. I know of more than a few schools that have a general expectation that there are no early graduates who have made exceptions for high level recruits who want to get on campus in January. Not sure how they handle the credits or plan ahead on that, but schools have to balance wanting that last semester of tuition from everyone with the understanding that some of the best and brightest both academically and athletically may expect to graduate early and denying that option is not a great way to attract and retain the best and brightest.
Darrion Dupree (Mt. Carmel to Wisconsin) and Justin Scott (St. Ignatius to Miami, Fla.) ... neither of those two 2023 prep football superstars was an early enrolee at their respective college.

Now that the NCAA has agreed to pay salaries to its football players, does anyone know how this is going to work?
On this site is a long, strong list of possible Illinois Player of Year candidates.
Regardless of who is deemed the best player, is he now going to be able to sign with NCAA Power Team A for $1,000,000 a year and does he have to sign to stay at school and not transfer?
What happens if NCAA Power Team A signs an elite QB prospect for $1,000,000 a year and the kid is a bust. Or, what if a QB at a directional school emerges after two years as the best QB in the nation. Can Power Team A sign the directional-school superstar for $1,000,000? And if so, is it stuck with a "guaranteed" contract for the first player it signed who didn't work out?
I mean, is college football going to have a salary cap for each team, regardless of whether that team's fb program produces $40 million in revenue each year or $1 million in revenue each year?
How much will NIU pay its top-recruited QB? And how much will Michigan or Ohio State pay for its top-recruited QB?
College football is now pro football, and I am lacking info right now on how the top seniors are going to sift through various offers and are the offers all the same or all different?
For how many years, did this forum's focus veer toward college scholarships for players, whether it be Major D-1, ""other D-1", or D-2.
Now, it's all about salary. High school kids are going to need an agent,

Darrion Dupree (Mt. Carmel to Wisconsin) and Justin Scott (St. Ignatius to Miami, Fla.) ... neither of those two 2023 prep football superstars was an early enrolee at their respective college.
In the last decade there are many hundreds of examples of top prospects finishing the four full years. There are also many hundreds of examples of top recruits graduating a semester early and enrolling in January.

There is often a lot of pressure-real or perceived-to get on campus for spring ball. It may be "up to the kid" but in many cases those kids feel like it is actually up to the college coach.

After the 2021 season, I believe both Jordan Anderson and Malachi Hood both enrolled early at Illinois. I am not aware of previous early graduates from Joliet Catholic. I am not sure if the U of I staff exerted some pressure to enroll early or if the kids just felt the need to get spring ball under their belts and a semester of college finished before fall of 2022.

It all comes down to a private school can choose to draw that hard line and demand 8 semesters of tuition. Or when there is an exceptional case that may have a legitimate or perceived reason to graduate early, the school can consider granting that wish. If they think a potential high profile future alum would be willing to transfer out before their senior year to get out a semester early, that is an interesting decision to weigh for all private schools.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT